Cargo Cover Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Cargo Cover Problem

My retractable cover doesn't retract!!!
anyone here have had a similar problem? it came with the car when I bought it used. do you guys think MB would take care of the problem? or am I SOL???
if anyone knows how to fix it...let us here know...nothing broke on it...the other day, i removed it from the trunk and one of the end caps came off of it...I put it together, and everything seems fine...nothing loose but it lost its tension...im sure it just needs to be retightened, but I dont know how to retighten it.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
so I took it apart and there is only one spring loading mechanism on one side...I thought it would be on both ends.

obviously, the end with the tension spring has a riveted cover over it while the other side just has a simple snap on end...jeez!!!...anyway, I ended up unriveting the cover (ill just rivet it back in place when I'm done, no big deal) and i took the spring and hooked it back to the turning end which had come off and secured it so that it wouldn't happen again...

unfortunately it still needs to be wound up and put back on the stop end...the winding part is easy, but sliding the end through the narrow slot, maintaining the canvas curled up and making sure it doesn't unwind in the process is a *****!!!

Im adding a video here which explains the whole ordeal...I hope theres a trick someone out there knows about to doing this but in the meantime, i basically have to carefully guide the knife which is holding the tension through the narrow slot to hopefully align with the stop end on the plastic end cover.

these things are not cheap and I like to fix whatever doesn't need replacing

Last edited by erlomd; 04-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
I found a solution to the problem...finally...if you get a pair of pliers and pull up on the black plastic wheel (which is a tube), you can see the tension spring that holds on to it at the bottom of the tube.

you the turn the tube manually counter-clockwise (or until ver very tense) there is a plastic pin on the inside of the tube you pulled out which slides in a rail portion. and has a slight stop slot half way down. so...as you re inset the tube that has been tensioned back in place you care fully feel for that stop position and it delicately holds it in place. (lots and lots and lots of trial and error here guys!!! so patience is needed.

leave the tensioned tube in the "halfway in" position and carefully insert the outer sleeve in place...which has the locking portion in the inner end of it...once it almost there and positioned correctly...slam down on it and hold it in place with pressure...and thats it!!!

only took all day today to do...lots of trial and error and different methods was used to try to keep the tension tube tight until you connect it...then once everything was figured out...different tension strengths were needed to get the right one so that it recoils right.

well, I know this might be a dumb write up...i mean just go and buy a replacement right? well, sometimes it just feels good to fix and repair something yourself...pride goes into it every time you see it and more care goes into it when you use it. plus, I saved $150+ so that counts for something right?

Last edited by erlomd; 04-13-2013 at 11:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by erlomd:
Collydog (03-21-2020), M8xbr471 (01-16-2021), rtulio (08-08-2017)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by erlomd

well, I know this might be a dumb write up...i mean just go and buy a replacement right? well, sometimes it just feels good to fix and repair something yourself...pride goes into it every time you see it and more care goes into it when you use it. plus, I saved $150+ so that counts for something right?
Hey - I don't even have a GLK yet but I appreciate the write-up and your "stick-to-it-ness." There's satisfaction in conquering awkward problems and devices and just plain figuring out how they're put together. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
thanks man...

well if anyone has a problem like this, they can at least have a reference right?
Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
Nevermind, read post below, I was working on the wrong side

Last edited by AzCamel; 10-14-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
Got it! The spring loaded cap is on the rivet side, I had to disassemble both side, pull out just the cap and not the hole internal assembly, turned it counter clockwise until it was hard to rotate anymore, line up the notch and insert it halfway in. I did what was mentioned above and lined it up until it started to go in and slammed it, bingo! Thank you so much for this thread. Finally my stubbornness paid off, 2hrs later and I'm back in business
Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ml350 & 2007 c230 sport
Cargo Cover

How do you remove the end caps I'm clueless
Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 PM

r350 2006
Thumbs up Cargo Cover Problem

Thanks Erlomd for the follow up tip regarding how to rewind. After I found the pin on the bottom of the inner tube that the spring is attached to, I turned the outer tube to find where it latches to. Once I figured out the placement, I turned it counter clockwise like you suggested and re-inserted it back to the shaft. It took me around 30 minutes all thanks to you.

Cheers.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 AM

2007 ML 320 CDI 224HP
Smile

Originally Posted by erlomd
I found a solution to the problem...finally...if you get a pair of pliers and pull up on the black plastic wheel (which is a tube), you can see the tension spring that holds on to it at the bottom of the tube.

you the turn the tube manually counter-clockwise (or until ver very tense) there is a plastic pin on the inside of the tube you pulled out which slides in a rail portion. and has a slight stop slot half way down. so...as you re inset the tube that has been tensioned back in place you care fully feel for that stop position and it delicately holds it in place. (lots and lots and lots of trial and error here guys!!! so patience is needed.

leave the tensioned tube in the "halfway in" position and carefully insert the outer sleeve in place...which has the locking portion in the inner end of it...once it almost there and positioned correctly...slam down on it and hold it in place with pressure...and thats it!!!

only took all day today to do...lots of trial and error and different methods was used to try to keep the tension tube tight until you connect it...then once everything was figured out...different tension strengths were needed to get the right one so that it recoils right.

Erlomd Hello, Thank you so very much for the support on this topic. I have 2007 ML320 CDI LHD W164 and worked for me. Now my cargo cover = OEM A1648100209 07-11 working well. I am ready to make a video for those who cannot solve the issue and not to spent money for new/ used part.

Drive safely!

Kind Regards,

Dobi

Last edited by 2007 ML Dobi S; 04-23-2021 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes W164 350 2006, Gas 4matic 272 hp/ Mercedes W201 190D/ Mercedes W213 E220D 4matic
Hi there, is there a how-to video where i can see the disassemble process ?