GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK - Convertible car seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Gotti78
I just bought 2 convertible car seats..1 nice one for the GLK and a cheaper one for emergencies.

The one I will be putting in the GLk is a Diono RTX and its much small then some of the others very slim.

I picked up a cheap Evenflow Triumph for my other car which the baby may never go in but just for emergencies if I need to use a different car.

The Evenflow is twice the size of the Diono.
In the end, we purchased an
Evenflo Chase LX Evenflo Chase LX
. Today we attempted to install it. I followed the instructions, and there seems to be an inherent problem.

The child's seat has a fixed angle between the base and the backrest. So does the GLK. But they are different. As a result, when the seat is attached to the three isofix points, the child's seat backrest is pulled hard against the GLK's backrest. In the position, the front of the base of the carseat is several inches above the GLK seat.

Is that how it should be?

In that position, the rear "feet" of the plastic base are being pushed hard into the GLK's seat upholstery. I doubt it would be long before the vinyl upholstery was damaged.

If the base up position is how it should be, then perhaps we need to put something like a hard rubber mat under the car seat so it doesn't damage the car?

Anyone with child car seat experience offer any help?

CANADIANS: Don't buy child car seats in USA. The standards are different and US seats cannot be imported into or used in Canada. We are going to try and sell or donate the seat we bough in SC.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Every car seat should have a Prince Lionheart seat saver installed first!

Canadian link:
Prince Lionheart 560 Two Stage Seat Saver (Black): Amazon.ca: Baby Prince Lionheart 560 Two Stage Seat Saver (Black): Amazon.ca: Baby

American link:
Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

The way the rear seats are designed in the GLK might make it difficult to level out certain types of seats - it's definitely something where you want to be able to test fit before buying.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by koalatm
Every car seat should have a Prince Lionheart seat saver installed first!

Canadian link: Prince Lionheart 560 Two Stage Seat Saver (Black): Amazon.ca: Baby

American link: Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

The way the rear seats are designed in the GLK might make it difficult to level out certain types of seats - it's definitely something where you want to be able to test fit before buying.
Thanks - I can probably find something that will protect the GLK seat. Local Walmart may have the seat protectors.

Solving problem of different seat/backrest angles is another thing. We already have the seat and Grandson arrives in a few days. May have to use some padding to get it to work. We will only use this seat for a week. After that will donate it or put it on Craig's List.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Drivers: 2019 Tesla Model 3+, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI, + a few non-street legal race cars
Not sure if this is too late, but here's how we did ours. This is a picture of the backseat of our E-Class wagon but we've done the exact same thing with our GLK.
The cover was something that a friend bought for us at the local Ross. We originally used it to cover the seats for the dog, but when the baby came along, the dog got relegated to the back compartment and the cover is now used under the baby seat to protect spilled food and milk.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 PM

GLK250 2014
Thanks for the input. Grandson was here for a week and left today. We did use the seat.

I used a shallow aluminum baking pan under the seat to stop it from digging into the seat covering.

To overcome the tilt that cause the front of the seat to be raise, all we could do is pack a rolled up small blanket under the front of the seat.

The seat may fit other cars better. We will try putting it on Craigs list at a big discount. Unfortunately we are not allowed to take the seat back to Canada.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C350
I just removed my infant seat and popped in the Diono convertible seat with the Diono seat pad. I love this seat and I can now use my passenger seat again. The Diono seat pad does exactly what it says it does and frees up about 4 inches of seat room.

Happy to have a passenger seat again.