GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250

Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux

Three dislikes?
I should have waited and ordered it european delivery.

I should've ordered the lighting package in my 14. It just looks nice!

No easy tow hitch electronics attachment.

Now for the likes!

I have the glk350 4matic and it gives great mileage! I currently own a 2015 escalade platinum and a 2013 Range Rover Sport, you know where I'm coming from.

It is fast and agile and stable, 2nd fastest in the SUV department. 155 for the RRS and 112 for the escalade. 130 for the glk350.

Durable mbtex compared to the supple aniline leather of my other SUV's.

Powerful engine! Did I say power again?

Go anywhere 4matic.

Pano roof functional.

Multimedia, apps, Bluetooth functionality and easy functionality of the knob control despite having no touchscreen.

Last edited by sblvro; 08-13-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
Not 250 but a 350...
1- slight jiggly rear suspension leaves me feeling a side to side rocking on irregular roads.Can live with it on the rare chance I drove on those.
2-wish I had larger exterior mirrors
3-bluetooth disconnects without a reason (rare)
4-radio drops distance channels and refuses to reconnect.

Outside of that I totally love the handling, solid tank like feel for such a compact car and the famous MB quality and craftsmanship.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz GLK250
3 things I don't like about GLK250

Mine was an Executive Demo from the dealer and they claim they chose all the options they wanted to put in it. Sticker was $50,500
The only thing that I can tell it does not have is leather, lane change warning, collision avoidance, and pwr passenger seat.
The one main thing I don't like about it is the long delays in shifting when first starting out from cold position. It revs up to over 2500 rpms in 3rd or 4th gears. By then the temp gauge moved up to 80c or so and it shifts fine after that.
The next thing is: I don't like how it takes road bumps etc. The suspension does not absorb bumps or small holes very well. I can't think of a 3rd thing I don't like.

I am impressed with the highway mileage. I've had it up to 42 mpg for that particular trip. The average combined driving reading gets anywhere from 34 to 35.8 mixed driving. The city driving with traffic signals and stop and go traffic really kills the MPG. I am big on MPGs. You won't find me being the first one crossing the intersection when the light turns green.

Last edited by rick8560; 08-24-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:53 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK250
Yes I noticed a lower MPG in cold weather. But i think part of that is due to waiting for the engine to warm up a tad? I do think the engine takes longer to reach full operating temperature in really cold temps.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
1) No easily installed trailer wiring available from the dealer.
2) You have to have the multi-media package for a backup camera. WTF?
3) The diesel emissions system should be foolproof. It should just work no matter what.
4) The DPF is not just a filter and should be covered under the emissions warranty exactly as a catalytic converter is on a gas engine vehicle.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 500e. 15 GLK 250

I have had my 250 for about 12 days & almost 1200Km's. Like Rick8560 mine was an MB Exec Demo loaded with EVERYTHING except Lane Change thing. Love all the options. Managed to get it to 5.7L/100Km on a 300Km trip on the weekend. Average since i got it is about 7.2L/100Km combination of 70% hwy 30% city.

My issues are;
1/ Brake Dust
2/ Water marks dripping on Body from drip rails, mirrors (vehicle is Obsdian Black) & rockers after rain or being washed.
3/ Dunno. Car is such fun to drive. Find myself just driving for the hell of it! Can't think of a 3rd issue right now.......

Last edited by autoworrks320; 08-26-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 AM

GLK 250
About the lower mileage in winter...
The normal #2 diesel fuel is diluted with the thinner #1 diesel in winter to help
with starting and gel formation. Fewer BTU's per gallon = lower mileage.
You see the same effect with cold weather gasoline formulations.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK250
Originally Posted by volkvin
I think it is the operator problems in your case half the time. Hell, you created 3 topics in 18 minutes and posted all your 350 problems into a 250 thread.

You just sound like a dodge driver lol

To stay on point, most of your items are just you disliking the design of the vehicle. Not sure why you bought something you do not like...

And everything else actually does exist and does work. For example both tailgate and door open indicators are present and it tells you exactly what door is open. You disliking the owners manual is just that. I find it sufficient enough. On 2014 250 the manual fits fine into the glove box and all the audio cabling is done in the center armrest anyway. There is a 12V in the center console sliding compartment as well in the center back console for the back row which are both reacheable without taking your eyes off the road. Master locks are on doors instead of centre console, which i find to be better spot as you have to open the door regardless lol... The GPS is a struggle, however it works well and auto zoom does not sound like a nessessity. There are both waypoints and POIs on the nav so im not sure what you are talking about. And this just made me laugh:

It is like saying the car wont drive without starting it first, or my phone wont dial without pressing a call button.
There is a full on automatic master lock, unlocks on park and locks on drive, so once again, not sure what kind of strip down made in china version you got sold on... and handle wrong position? Comon, is there really a right position for anything? You are just used to something else.

Oh well, just hate seeing stupid posts that pretty much say "this crap doesnt work". It works, you just need to educate yourself or test what it is you are buying prior to shelling out the money...
I totally agree with your reply to that complainer!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 GL350
tranny feature

I might be crazy but I did notice something about my GLK250...

when I'm at a red light, after stopping completely for about 6 or 7 seconds, the transmission seems to go into neutral. (there is a light thump that I can feel which tells me the tranny just shifted) when this happens, after I let go of the brake pedal to get going again, the GLK take JUST A BIT longer to get itself into first gear and gets going....

If i'm stopped for less than 6 seconds, it stays in first gear and I can step on the gas and get going instantly....

I think this is by design, maybe to save the transmission from the high torque engine.... but when I asked a technician about this at the dealership, he had no idea what I was talking about and looked at me like I was out of my mind...

anyone else notices this little feature?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by ningster

when I'm at a red light, after stopping completely for about 6 or 7 seconds, the transmission seems to go into neutral. (there is a light thump that I can feel which tells me the tranny just shifted) when this happens, after I let go of the brake pedal to get going again, the GLK take JUST A BIT longer to get itself into first gear and gets going....

If i'm stopped for less than 6 seconds, it stays in first gear and I can step on the gas and get going instantly....

I think this is by design, maybe to save the transmission from the high torque engine.... but when I asked a technician about this at the dealership, he had no idea what I was talking about and looked at me like I was out of my mind...

All I can say is that mine certainly doesn't do anythign of the sort and that AFAIK there is no such programming in the TCU. You may want to take it in and have a tech come along for a ride with you so they'll know exactly what you're talking about. The transmission does not pop out of D - it's just a torque-converter automatic and will idle in D for days until you run out of diesel.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by rmeier1
About the lower mileage in winter...
The normal #2 diesel fuel is diluted with the thinner #1 diesel in winter to help
with starting and gel formation. Fewer BTU's per gallon = lower mileage.
You see the same effect with cold weather gasoline formulations.
^ This.

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
3) The diesel emissions system should be foolproof. It should just work no matter what.
4) The DPF is not just a filter and should be covered under the emissions warranty exactly as a catalytic converter is on a gas engine vehicle.
In the USA there is an ever increasing number of states that now also mandate some Biodiesel content (usually B5) that most definitely disagrees with the DPFs in all MB diesel engines. Add this to the realtively high sulphur content in US fuels (including ULSD) compared to Europe, and you have a recipe for premature DPF failure.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK250
Originally Posted by Diabolis
All I can say is that mine certainly doesn't do anythign of the sort and that AFAIK there is no such programming in the TCU. You may want to take it in and have a tech come along for a ride with you so they'll know exactly what you're talking about. The transmission does not pop out of D - it's just a torque-converter automatic and will idle in D for days until you run out of diesel.
ningster, I have also notice that thump in the transmission but only when I come to a sudden stop. When I let off the brake pedal I notice this thump almost like the rear end is loose or something? I usually wait before trying to accelerate and the trans shifts as normal. The next time I go in for service I am going to bring this issue up along with the printout from this blog.

Last edited by rick8560; 08-27-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 AM

glk 250
Hawk1

1. The iphone cord that came with my glk250 is too short.
2. Wished I had brighter/more brake lights, see thread on missing brake lights
3. Door locking knob/button sticks up too high and I cant get it off to replace with aftermarket.
4. Owner manual sucks. This is worthy of its own thread.
5. Poorly lit speedometer, (not the digital one)
6. I push the button that opens the pano window but the little screen that pops up still doesnt keep the bugs from splatting on the front bumper. Hmm.......

Gotta LOVE that diesel.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
2. do you want more brake lights or brighter brake lights? Is there a reason? Have you repeatedly been rear-ended? What brake lights are missing?
3. Pretty easy to take off the door locking knob/button. What's the problem?
4. Why does the Owner manual suck?

Originally Posted by HawkGLK250
1. The iphone cord that came with my glk250 is too short.
2. Wished I had brighter/more brake lights, see thread on missing brake lights
3. Door locking knob/button sticks up too high and I cant get it off to replace with aftermarket.
4. Owner manual sucks. This is worthy of its own thread.
5. Poorly lit speedometer, (not the digital one)
6. I push the button that opens the pano window but the little screen that pops up still doesnt keep the bugs from splatting on the front bumper. Hmm.......

Gotta LOVE that diesel.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
when this happens, after I let go of the brake pedal to get going again, the GLK take JUST A BIT longer to get itself into first gear and gets going....
As I understand it, the GLK250 starts in second gear when in E mode. But in 1st gear when in S mode (Please correct me if I am wrong).

When I drive in a gated closed community that has numerous speed bumps that require me to come to almost a stop, I have found something like what you describe (longer to get going and a bit jerky) IF I stay in E mode. In S mode everything is smoother. Once out of gates, I go back to E mode.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:50 AM

2015 GLK250

I also noticed this recently and sometime it's quite strong, I almost feel like I got rear ended. I was thinking maybe this is only for 250 Bluetec and happens when Adblue fluid or diesel levels are going low and it moves inside the tank?
I will ask my dealer to check on my 1st service.

Last edited by chrissk; 09-01-2015 at 01:58 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 AM

2015 GLK350

Watch the gear indicator and you will probably see that it is shifting from second to first. A full downshift to first on a rolling stop is undesirable so second gear is held unless the stop is complete for a few seconds.

My 250 did that too, but only in the first 10-15 minutes after a dead cold start when it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Once it warmed up the downshift from second to first at the stop would still occur, but there was no violence about it.

I have not noticed my 350 doing this. It seems to stay in second at full stops.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Diabolis
^ This.

In the USA there is an ever increasing number of states that now also mandate some Biodiesel content (usually B5) that most definitely disagrees with the DPFs in all MB diesel engines. Add this to the realtively high sulphur content in US fuels (including ULSD) compared to Europe, and you have a recipe for premature DPF failure.
To my knowledge I never ran biodiesel and was always careful to check that I was using low sulfur fuel. I can only guess at why the DPF failed at 18K.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 500e. 15 GLK 250

I think this is by design, maybe to save the transmission from the high torque engine.... but when I asked a technician about this at the dealership, he had no idea what I was talking about and looked at me like I was out of my mind..

ningster, I don't think you are losing your mind as I think I get the same 'hesitation type' thing when coming to & moving from a stop. I plan on going to drive another new GLK in the next few days to determine if mine has an issue. I know I had to wait an extra week for the dealer to replace 2 rims when they got it back from 'MB Exec Driven'! I am a little suspect of how the ' MB Exec' damaged 2 rims.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 PM

2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux

Originally Posted by autoworrks320
ningster, I don't think you are losing your mind as I think I get the same 'hesitation type' thing when coming to & moving from a stop. I plan on going to drive another new GLK in the next few days to determine if mine has an issue. I know I had to wait an extra week for the dealer to replace 2 rims when they got it back from 'MB Exec Driven'! I am a little suspect of how the ' MB Exec' damaged 2 rims.
All Demo or loaners are called "MB executive driven!" Lol!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:18 AM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by sblvro
All Demo or loaners are called "MB executive driven!" Lol!
Does this mean we are all "MB executives" for having driven the loaners?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
Does this mean we are all "MB executives" for having driven the loaners?
Yup! It's a nice tag line. MB executive driven.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK 250
Ok, more than 3, but I do love the car.
1) I, too, get the transmission "thunk" when stopped at a light for more than a few seconds. At first I thought this was the engine shut-off feature, but the diesel (at least in '13) doesn't do that.
2) No backup camera option with the standard radio. I'm still looking for a decent option for adding one, along with a nav system (no Becker pre-wiring in mine)
3) Turbo lag (or the electronics) that causes the off-the-line hesitation. If I need to accelerate quickly, I lightly depress the pedal a second or two early to spool up the turbo before I actually need to move, and then press it harder. I absent-mindedly do this when I switch to my wife's V6 Acura MDX and end up pinning everyone to their seats.
4) The Automatic temperature control, when in AC mode, sounds and feels like a hurricane for the first few minutes of operation on a hot day. It always startles my passengers and makes it difficult to hear the stereo (even with my HK option!). I get that it's trying to cool the car more quickly, but it's really obnoxious.
5) standard headlights are pretty pathetic.

What I love:
1) the MPG. I get 40-42 on flat highway going about 70mph. Over 77k miles on mine and averaging 35mpg.
2) The tank-like look and feel. It feels German.
3) I actually like the Comand system and controls. Our previous (and current) lexuses and Acuras have about a million little buttons and senseless controls that required extensive reading of the manual just to figure out. For the GLK, the salesman took less than a minutes to show me how to navigate it and connect my phone and I've never had to look at the manual at all.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 GL350
transmission thump

Glad to hear I'm not the only one....

Now that I notice it, I do a hard count at all red lights, usually on the 5th or 6th second, the thump comes on.... the thump is harder if i had a sudden stop, and barely noticeable if i rolled to a stop.

without the thump (if the red light turned green within 5 seconds), i can step on the gas right away and off it goes....

with the thump, the GLK will need a little more time to get itself into gear to start going again...

I am starting to believe this is a feature that's designed to do this... some people notice it, some don't... but it's not broken or defective by any means....
The following users liked this post:
Sc4Hundred (08-23-2018)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:22 PM

glk 250
Latest three dislikes

1 took my glk in for minor warranty work.
A. Passenger window would not open completely, qtr inch stayed up. (Came from factory this way, poor qq)
2 it took two days and part replaced.
3. Picked up glk drove home very impressed with dealer service and treatment.
OOPS!!! Window STILL doesnt go down ALL the way.
Two days wasted. I feel like I got Chevy service in a first class way.
4! Now I wonder what service ill get at my 10k checkup.
If I have to take it back twice for the same problem I may just trade it in at a ford dealer. In case anyone wants to know it was MB of North Olmsted Ohio.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250