GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250

Old 06-27-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT
Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250

I know that no car is perfect, so tell me the top three things about your GLK250 that you don't like or would change about your purchase decision.

(I plan to start shopping near the end of July!)

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I don't own a GLK 250 but I'm getting a GLK 350. I'm completely turned off on any diesel, having owned several. I'm tired looking for diesel fuel and the stink that goes with filling. Your hands stink after fueling unless you wear gloves. Also, I don't want any car with run flat tires and no spare. That has kept me from considering any BMW where all their cars have RFT.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM

GLK350
As bad as gas prices are in CA diesel cost is worse
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Thanks for your responses. Yes, I know that diesel fuel is smelly. Some of the stations in my area provide gloves near the pumps and I have considered carrying them with me for the fuel stops. Right now the price difference between premium and diesel is 30 cents per gallon, but it has been as much as 70 cents. For me, I think the diesel is the way to go.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
I've only put 76 kms on mine but so far I can only think of one thing- the cruise control stalk could be a wee bit shorter as I sometimes hit it rather than the signal stalk when turning.

So far, that's it...but I'll check back in tomorrow PM if I find any more issues as we are taking a 7 hr road trip tomorrow for my daughter's graduation ceremonies.
The following users liked this post:
air1mtt (02-05-2022)
Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Prius, GLK at port
I don't like that the inside of the door sill, running board seem to collect water after it rains and it rains in Atlanta all the time. When you get in the car, that water is impossible not to get on pants or skirt. Never had any car that does this.

Not a dislike, but I am not sure if I understand the engine. I get the ECO mode, it is similar to my Prius. I have never had a car where the brake pedal sometimes comes up to meet your foot, it re-adjusts. The car also seems to downshift/ when driving downhill - maybe I want to coast. It does not do these things all the time so when and why is the question. I know the car is heavy so maybe a safety feature.

The acceleration seems a little weird sometimes. Jerky, not smooth, at odd times. It seems fine on the highway, but odd at lower speeds, 30 mph.

I only have 450 miles on the car, and will be taking a trip this week, so I will learn more. Gas mpg seems lousy so far
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by decocritter
Gas mpg seems lousy so far
Best use diesel fuel!!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM

GLK 250 Bluetec
Pretty close to perfect

The three things I don’t like about my GLK250 would have no effect on my purchase decision. I knew these things going into it. In my opinion the GLK250 is as close to my idea of the perfect vehicle as I could get, and I’d buy it again without hesitation.

It has fuel economy rivaling some hybrids, it emits very low emissions, and it is a Benz. I cross shopped Cadillac SRX and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, but fell in love with the GLK250.

With proper maintenance, the diesel should easily go 300,000 + miles without major repairs.

Dislikes:

#1: Momentary turbo lag from a stop. Once it gets going, its pretty quick for a 4 cylinder, I forget it’s a diesel. Lots of lovely torque. Also I keep it in eco mode, switching to sport helps some.

#2: No spare tire. Has run flats instead. I bought a good used Mercedes rim and tire for $100, and will put in back (strapped down of course) for long trips. I also will use it for 5,000 mile tire rotations.

#3: Having to add DEF every 10,000 miles. Can be had at Autozone or Oreillys for around $6 a gallon. Very easy to fill, just like windshield washer fluid, located under the cargo panel in the back.

I know you said 3 dislikes, but I have a very important 4th dislike.

#4: Having to be aware of where I park it, so it doesn’t get a door ding or scratch. I love the classical unashamed boxy look of it.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by coda1970
The three things I don’t like about my GLK250 would have no effect on my purchase decision. I knew these things going into it. In my opinion the GLK250 is as close to my idea of the perfect vehicle as I could get, and I’d buy it again without hesitation.

It has fuel economy rivaling some hybrids, it emits very low emissions, and it is a Benz. I cross shopped Cadillac SRX and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, but fell in love with the GLK250.

With proper maintenance, the diesel should easily go 300,000 + miles without major repairs.

Dislikes:

#1: Momentary turbo lag from a stop. Once it gets going, its pretty quick for a 4 cylinder, I forget it’s a diesel. Lots of lovely torque. Also I keep it in eco mode, switching to sport helps some.

#2: No spare tire. Has run flats instead. I bought a good used Mercedes rim and tire for $100, and will put in back (strapped down of course) for long trips. I also will use it for 5,000 mile tire rotations.

#3: Having to add DEF every 10,000 miles. Can be had at Autozone or Oreillys for around $6 a gallon. Very easy to fill, just like windshield washer fluid, located under the cargo panel in the back.

#4: Having to be aware of where I park it, so it doesn’t get a door ding or scratch. I love the classical unashamed boxy look of it.
Pretty clear and EXACTLY my sentiments! Guess I'll have to fine a spare tire, though I've been all over the west in the E350 and have yet to encounter any problem with run-flats and no spare.

I'd scratch #3. You have to fill your washer tank too so that's just part of life.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Originally Posted by decocritter
The acceleration seems a little weird sometimes. Jerky, not smooth, at odd times. It seems fine on the highway, but odd at lower speeds, 30 mph.
I have to agree. I have 5000 miles on my 2013 GLK 350 and I really don't like the jerky acceleration. I thought at first it was me not used to the touchy accelerator, but after 5000 miles, it's still jerky, and only sometimes.

Sometimes when going to drive from park, it jerks real hard. Sometimes, it doesn't and is very smooth.

Anyone else?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:48 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I don't understand why your 350 engine wouldn't be smooth. I have the same 350 engine in my E350 and it couldn't be smoother. I believe you need to have the dealer check to see what is wrong.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM

GLK350
Time for dealer check-mine smooth transition to any gear
Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 PM

2017 GLC43AMG
My 250

Just picked up my 250 yesterday and put 400km on it so far....

As of right now the only negative I can see is that it is smaller than my previous Ford Edge which I knew before buying. Just packed the back with my golf gear for the morning and it barely fits my bag sideways. I can maybe do 2 bags without having to put down the seats, and my Edge took 4 easily....

BUT....

It's an MB, smooth, solid build and so far I have 420 on the trip and over half a tank left
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM

GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
I don't understand why your 350 engine wouldn't be smooth. I have the same 350 engine in my E350 and it couldn't be smoother. I believe you need to have the dealer check to see what is wrong.
You should probably have the dealer check it out. I never noticel my GLK 250 shift either from start or when driving - even on hills.

Are you always using the same key (if not keyless)? The keys are personalized and the car learns your driving habits versus those of your spouse's. (long shot guess)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM

2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Gt. Dane
You should probably have the dealer check it out. I never noticel my GLK 250 shift either from start or when driving - even on hills.

Are you always using the same key (if not keyless)? The keys are personalized and the car learns your driving habits versus those of your spouse's. (long shot guess)
I have Keyless GO. I only notices it in ECO mode. When in Sport mode, it seems smoother. I wonder if ECO is overcompensating too much and delaying the throttle. Sometimes when I'm trying to pass, and I hit the gas, the car kinda slows for a short moment then lunges forward, almost as if you tap gas hard and release, but I'm keeping the gas down the whole time.

I'll call the dealer.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 PM

Prius, GLK at port
I notice the same issues KOZ. Much hesitation at an intersection or stop sign after a brief stop. I can floor it and it barely moves. This hesitation is dangerous.

This has also happened in Reverse.

Does not seem to happen if I press the ECO button and take it off.

I had a Prius and am quite used to the kill of the gas motor, and it seemed quicker on acceleration from a dead stop.

Car seems to drive like a dream at most other times.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 AM

2015 GLA250 4MATIC
One thing I dislike is there is no map zoom based on speed. It's really annoying to have to zoom out manually when going highway speeds and zoom in when I'm in city traffic. Most other car and hand held GPS units have zoom based on speed.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:49 AM

2013 GLK250BT
Responses

Thanks for all for your responses! Keep them coming.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 PM

2013 Mercedes GLK 250 BlueTec, 2010 Buick Enclave AWD CXL-2
Like mentioned above-overesearched and knew disadvantages going in, still would go with a glk, but here they are:
1. rear cargo space not as competitive at other vehicles in its class. Presumably they will make it larger with the next Gen with the GLA coming soon a slot below.

2. lack of spare tire/runflats. I really think this is an engineering issue as they could probably have made the DEF tank to accomodate a tire. I also got the Harmon Kardon, and the amplifier cuts into space as well. in addition, as much as 19 inch rims look sweet, probably not as durable as a thicker tire. I will be getting snow tires for the winter, probably X-ice 2s or 3s, and have already bought a fix a flat/pump set and have stored it within the removable trim in the back deep to the netted cubby on the left.

3. windshield wipers seem really sub-par for a luxury vehicle. they streak and squeak easily with mild-moderate precipitation. Only with a downpour do they not do this.

4. I actually wish the transmission would downshift earlier to keep the RPMs around 2k. I end up using the shift paddles in eco mode to shift earlier to keep in that 1500-2000RPM range for better fuel efficiency. If I am going to drive sport, I just change from E to S.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 AM

2013 Mercedes GLK 250 BlueTec, 2010 Buick Enclave AWD CXL-2
Originally Posted by coda1970

Dislikes:

I paid 700 for Xpel Ultimate self healing film/car bra placed on front bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors, door handle cups, and door edges. Not perfect, but puts your mind at a little ease with the random rock, car door, or grocery cart!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM

2016 GLA45 AMG, 2013 GLK 350, 2010 GLK 350
Reply to those who feel acceleration is jerky

The GLK's have an adaptive throttle. Over time the throttle learns how you drive. If your normal mode is slow acceleration then at those times when you want to go faster the throttle will seem to hesitate a bit before accelerating. Since I drive quite "spirited" all the time my GLK has adapted a wonderfully linear throttle response.

Drive it harder and it will stop hesitating.

The learning can be re-set at any time if you wish to re-train the throttle.

Here is something I copied from a previous post in these forums:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "on" position which is just before you crank the engine to start.

2. Press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.

3. Then turn the key to the off position but do not remove the key, then release the accelerator.

4. Wait at least 2 minutes, the ECU is then reset.

The ECU reset procedure only erases the adaptive transmission and throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel, timing or other programming.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 AM

2013 GLK250BT
Throttle Response

Rixard,

Are there separate memories for two drivers based on which "key" is used? My wife has a "spirited" driving style also. But I have a much more relaxed style. My wife's Honda seems to adjust to our different driving styles fairly quickly (in about 20 to 30 miles), but it does not keep separate memories based on which key is used. (This is only my opinion/observation, not based on any ECU programming knowledge.)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 AM

2016 GLA45 AMG, 2013 GLK 350, 2010 GLK 350
Throttle learing

Unfortunately the GLK memory functions are only for seating, steering wheel and mirrors. The throttle is based on driving. Approximately the last 100Km.

If you and your wife drive very differently try a Sprint Booster. It electronically overrides the GLK computer to make the throttle linear and more responsive. The newer ones allow you to set it by push button to three different settings.

This allows it to be stock for the wife and responsive for you at the touch of a button.

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/default.aspx
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
Not a 250, but on the 350 here are my 3 (I could bet they apply to the 250 as well):

1) Brake dust seems excessive compared to what I am used to

2) Maintenance seems expensive, but I get that you have to pay to play

3) Bigger rims + lower profile tires = certain curb rash from the wife, and probably me too

For whatever it's worth if we didn't get the killer deal we got on the 350 we were getting a 250.

Brian
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM

2013 GLK250BT
My 3 things

Since I started the thread and really used all the information before purchasing, here are my three things (all really, really minor and it's only been a few days):

1. Reflections of outside air vents in both side view mirrors (just a little distracting, but I'll get used to it.)

2. Automatic door locks sound harsh when locking during acceleration-sounds less than premium. (I know I could disable, but it's a function that I like to have.)

3. Back-up camera only available in an expensive package. It should be standard in all MB SUVs.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250