Looking to build a 2014 GLK 250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250
Looking to build a 2014 GLK 250

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and I just went to the MB dealership near me this morning and was wondering if what was offered was good (I should take it up) or continue to shop around.

Steel Grey/Interior Ambient Lighting/Lighting Package/Multimedia/AMG/Premium/Heated front seats.

Based off 2013 GLK 250 pricing, he put this one at 51,135 MSRP. He offered 4.25% off MSRP, and then I (supposedly) get a fleet discount of $2,000 from work, so it comes out around $46,800.

I've been perusing the forum and people have said they've gotten 7% off, but is that reasonable? I can't tell if what I was offered was good or if I'm a girl and just getting hosed.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by legalmisfit

Steel Grey/Interior Ambient Lighting/Lighting Package/Multimedia/AMG/Premium/Heated front seats.

Based off 2013 GLK 250 pricing, he put this one at 51,135 MSRP. He offered 4.25% off MSRP, and then I (supposedly) get a fleet discount of $2,000 from work, so it comes out around $46,800.
Almost exactly the package I got on my '13. Only thing additional the sales guy recommended, was the lane assist option. Wasn't expensive and particularly for unfamiliar European traffic (I did Euro delivery,) I thought it might be worth it. Best thing since Post Toasties!

Can't address price but you should be able to ooch a bit more off the MSRP if they'll still give you the 'fleet' discount. That's likely a dealer buzz word as that's not usual for a Benz. From my experience in any type negotiations, that 4.25% dictates that 5% is likely what he's expecting as a counter offer. Offer him 6%, see where that leads and I'll you get 5%, maybe more if you ooch that up a bit. It doesn't translate to a lot of dollars in the end anyway. Just depends how much fun you want to have negotiating!

For a new model car I think that would be a great deal around where I live. Don't know your area or dealer.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
I'm also curious to know what great deals people have been getting on purchase, lease, on the lot and custom order.

If I recall correctly, 7% is around invoice and then getting fleet discount is paid by MBUSA.
Unless the dealer is using some other MBUSA incentive to get down to 7%, they should honor the fleet but they could BS about having to apply such incentive.

I would be surprised if anyone got 7% + fleet discount on a custom order 'without' getting hosed on financing or lease terms.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM

2014 GLK250
Thanks guys!
I feel like I should be able to do better than 5% off MSRP. Maybe I should try at the end of the month when they're trying to hit numbers.
I'm thinking asking for 6.5% off MSRP + fleet and seeing if I can get 6.

I did test drive it today, and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it gets up 80mph. Whenever I think of diesel, I think of the big rigs and 18 wheelers which are powerful but slow, so I was shocked!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:43 PM

glk
Thanks guys!
I feel like I should be able to do better than 5% off MSRP. Maybe I should try at the end of the month when they're trying to hit numbers.
I'm thinking asking for 6.5% off MSRP + fleet and seeing if I can get 6.

I did test drive it today, and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it gets up 80mph. Whenever I think of diesel, I think of the big rigs and 18 wheelers which are powerful but slow, so I was shocked!
Let us know which NJ dealer you get the deal from, I get the impression you can get better deals further in suburbs rather than closer to city?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM

2014 GLK250
That's a good idea. I went to the Englewood Benzel Busch dealer this morning and wasn't too impressed with the salesman. They didn't want to move off of 4.5% off, and before we started talking about price, he mentioned that he sold a girl a C class for 5k down and 500/month, and my only thought was, "oh-that seems high for a C class"
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bugelrex
I'm also curious to know what great deals people have been getting on purchase, lease, on the lot and custom order.
"Custom" orders mean nothing as far as price enhancement. No manufacturer just sends any cars they want to send to a dealer. Someone in the dealership, usually called the fleet manager, has to specify and order the cars they want to sell.

If anything, a 'custom' order is a slam dunk for a dealer. They have their financing deal up front before the order is placed and they don't have to 'floor' the car. It's already sold! No carrying costs and nothing but prep for delivery which you pay for anyway! If anything, a custom order should be cheaper.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 PM

2014 GLK250
If anything, a 'custom' order is a slam dunk for a dealer. They have their financing deal up front before the order is placed and they don't have to 'floor' the car. It's already sold! No carrying costs and nothing but prep for delivery which you pay for anyway! If anything, a custom order should be cheaper.
I never thought about it like that-I always thought that since the dealership didn't have the exact car I wanted, there was little room to negotiate since it'd have to be built. Whereas, with a car they already have, they're probably trying to get rid of it to put a new car there so are willing to negotiate more. Obviously, I like your reasoning better!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM

The ONLY car I've bought that a dealer had in stock in the last 40 years, was the 190D I still own. All the others I specified everything and I've always gotten a better deal, except for cars with the 'wrong' equipment the dealership ordered and stocked. Those are the ones they knock off pricing after they've sat around too long.

When in corporate life, one of my 'jobs' was managing a fleet. I put the cars out to bid to multiple dealers, told them all I was doing so, and waited for results. Some refused to bid and others responded immediately. Strangely, almost always the best bid was the first one! They were all American cars, but in that situation all the dealer had to do was calculate their own costs and the profit they had to have. Some relied on future profits from servicing.

First Benz I bought was in '77 and that was a bit different. I believe there were not many options available then. But, all the American cars for me (a Ford lover since youth,) and including Chevy's and a few executive cars for my company, I've specified equipment and everything but color in some cases. Always got great deals from bids and always from the volume dealers that were selling large numbers and getting the under-invoice deals from the manufacturer. All of them work with some form of incentive nowadays.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:58 PM

glk
That's a good idea. I went to the Englewood Benzel Busch dealer this morning and wasn't too impressed with the salesman. They didn't want to move off of 4.5% off, and before we started talking about price, he mentioned that he sold a girl a C class for 5k down and 500/month, and my only thought was, "oh-that seems high for a C class"

Could you give me the name of the sales person you met with at Englewood benzel? I literally just got shot down for a 5% off MSRP PLUS Fleet discount at a CT dealer. They insisted they can't combine the 5% with the Fleet because they are already including some other MBUSA incentive.

I think its very dependent on which sales person you get.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM

2014 GLK250
Sure Bugelrex, can you pls shoot me a private msg? I don't want to throw people's names out on a public forum.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You guys are like drinking too many energy drinks .. if OP has a confirmed 4.25% off MSRP + fleet discount, for a special order 2014 GLK250BT quite frankly that's about as good as it gets anywhere... burbs, city, or the sticks..

I would suggest you stop chasing and get your GLK250 on order this month or you will not be happy with delivery date unless you want to pick up Thanksgiving Day turkey in what you're driving now..