GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Whistle/humming noise while driving 60-65mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250
Whistle/humming noise while driving 60-65mph

I just bought a 2013 glk250. I love the car but when i go 60mph it make a loud whistle/humming noise. It has some wind noise that I could live with but the other noise is terrible. Anybody have that problem. I brought it to the dealership and they drove it and didn't hear it. It doesn't happen all the time but it is getting worse.Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Any chance you could record it and put on youtube? I haven't really paid attention to odd noises
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 GLK350 4Matic, 2015 Jaguar F-Type R
Had same problem on 2010 took it in to MB and they couldn't find a problem. Does yours sound like you're pushing the engine too far?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Typical noise from the gasket at the top of the windshield. Has the windshield ever been replaced? Sometimes even the factory doesn't get it set correctly and you get a whistle. Also incorrect seating of sunroof if you have one.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM

GLK 250
I have this same exact problem. I've brought it into the dealership twice now. They are trying to figure out what's causing it. I am very disappointed my new car is having problems. Mine makes a humming/vibrating/horn-like sound intermittently when I drive 60-70mph. What are you going to do about your car?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read in another forum that it is wind noise being forced through the a/c heater system. Apparently there is a part behind the glove box where two plastic pieces have separated. After I get mine fixed in a few days I will post what they did
Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM

GLK 250
Thank you, GINO-ESC. That is interesting to hear, because when I brought it into the dealership (they are currently trying to find the cause/fix my car), I drove it out with a technician who heard the noise and mentioned that it may have to do with the wind. He said that he suspects it could be 2 metal sheets placed the wrong distance apart, and that the air flowing through it could be making the noise. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the seal in the heater box that needs to be replaced. I believe it is located behind the glove box
Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 AM

GLK 250
Thank you for letting me know. My technicians said it was due to loose strips of plastic lining the sides of my windshield. If it sounds again, I'll let them know about the heater box.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Is this a DIY task or must we take it in?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 AM

GLK 250
I'm not sure what type of adhesive they used for the strips. I suppose you could DIY once you find out, but personally, I'd just take it in. Once I get a copy of my service report, I'll check to see if it says anything.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Since this is such a new vehicle, it would be very helpful to post as much detail as you can about what caused the noise and if it was fixed by whatever the dealer did.

I recall having a roofrack (on a different car) that made wind noise at certain speeds. \was corrected by stuffing some rags into the rack. But this sounds like something different!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 PM

GLK 250
Okay, I finally got my service report back. The outer "A" pillar panels that run alongside the windshield were removed and reinstalled. It doesn't say what type of adhesive was used. I hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:01 PM

2005 c240
I also had a very light humming noise in a 2009 c300. While I was driving on highway speed all 4 wheels on the car suddenly locked up. My car stopped so suddenly and so fast that it left tire marks on the road. The car only had 37,900 miles but the time on the warranty had expired. It was a such sudden failure that I am lucky to be alive. I was on the road for half an hour with cars coming at me at 60 mph and suddenly avoiding me. Mercedes said it was the failure of the front differential that caused the wheels to lock up and refused to fix it even though it was such an unsafe and sudden failure. I am letting people know about this incident so they are more careful when driving a car that can suddenly stop putting you and other people on the road at high risk. I think Mercedes should have an indication in the differential in order to avoid this from happening again. I see a lot of people posting this humming sound at 60 mph and they need to investigate the cause of this problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 AM

2005 c240
C300 2009 sudden all 4 wheels lock up on highway with no warning.

Originally Posted by hamilton136
I just bought a 2013 glk250. I love the car but when i go 60mph it make a loud whistle/humming noise. It has some wind noise that I could live with but the other noise is terrible. Anybody have that problem. I brought it to the dealership and they drove it and didn't hear it. It doesn't happen all the time but it is getting worse.Thanks
I was driving my 2009 c300 on the highway at about 50 mph when all of a sudden all 4 wheels locked up and the car totally stopped with as streaking sound. Luckily I was not hit and the high speed incoming cars were able to avoid me. Mercedes dealer said it was a sudden failure of the front transfer case and refused to pay for fixing the car even though it was a very unsafe failure and the car only had 37,900 miles but was out of warrantee because of time. You need to be aware that this can happen. There is absolutely no indication or warning that this is going to happen. MB indicated that there was a leak in the front differential but the car is parked in a garage I did did not see even a drop of oil on the floor.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM

2005 c240
Humming problem causing all 4 wheels to a sudden lock up at highway speed.

I see that a lot of people have this humming noise from 60 to 70 mph. Mercedes seems to have a lot of problems with cars that have 4matic with a front differential. People need to be aware that all 4 wheels can lock up while you are driving on the highway. A very dangerous failure of the differential with no indication of a problem. This is what happened to me on the road.

I also had a very light humming noise in a 2009 c300. While I was driving on highway speed all 4 wheels on the car suddenly locked up. My car stopped so suddenly and so fast that it left tire marks on the road. The car only had 37,900 miles but the time on the warranty had expired. It was a such sudden failure that I am lucky to be alive. I was on the road for half an hour with cars coming at me at 60 mph and suddenly avoiding me. Mercedes said it was the failure of the front differential that caused the wheels to lock up and refused to fix it even though it was such an unsafe and sudden failure. I am letting people know about this incident so they are more careful when driving a car that can suddenly stop putting you and other people on the road at high risk. I think Mercedes should have an indication in the differential in order to avoid this from happening again. I see a lot of people posting this humming sound at 60 mph and they need to investigate the cause of this problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:43 PM

2005 c240
Humming sound while driving

Originally Posted by hamilton136

I had the same problem and the a four wheels of the car totally locked up while driving on the highway. Luckily no high speed car from behind hit me. This is a very dangerous failure of the front differential without any warning. Mercedes refused to fix the car or acknowledge that this is a problem they need to address. I see many Mercedes drivers mentioning this humming problem at low mileage. I only had 37,000 miles on the car. They need to be aware of this problem and the very unsafe failure that can occur. You totally lose control of the car. All the wheels lock up and the car goes from highway speed to a sudden stop in 1 second.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:22 PM

2005 c240
Whistle/humming noise cause the sudden lock up of all four wheels at highway speed

Originally Posted by glk250lady
I have this same exact problem. I've brought it into the dealership twice now. They are trying to figure out what's causing it. I am very disappointed my new car is having problems. Mine makes a humming/vibrating/horn-like sound intermittently when I drive 60-70mph. What are you going to do about your car?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by bop11
Typical noise from the gasket at the top of the windshield. Has the windshield ever been replaced? Sometimes even the factory doesn't get it set correctly and you get a whistle. Also incorrect seating of sunroof if you have one.
+1

I had increased wind noise after the first windshield was replaced. When the third one was installed the noise went away.