GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by ak_ku
(original/first one was LI49.10-P-058243)?
The comments say: "... Performed LI49.10-P-058243, Performed CDI software update..." I'm wondering if LI49 is simply the adaptation procedure. It might be that the software revision is not listed in the procedure.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by socalglk
We actually sent you a private message for more information as you requested and never got a response. Not sure why you have such an interest if you're having no problems with your car, yet you know exactly how to fix it. Sounds vaguely like you work for MBenz or a dealership. Actually there have been many problems documented with the diesel in newer model cars. 45% of problems with Mercedes reported to the NHTSA has to do with the emissions system. So happy for you that you love your car and you have an awesome service dept at your dealership. The rest of us are trying to resolve the problems with our cars. If you do have the answer to the issue, be it software or whatever, why don't you post the information on this site so we can take it into our dealers. Thank You

here ! here ! ................ Pity that SOME PEOPLE who appear to want to help but are really here to DOWNPLAY the REAL ISUES that lots of users are having. I Applaud you for saying like it "appears" to lots of us - that there are some users who appear to work for MB AND OR a DEALERSHIPS; register here and often say there didn't have those same issues that lots of us have had ( AND ARE FRUSTRATED buy it not being fixed )
In my previous [post] I had mentioned that I WONT even accept the car that the DEALER was DELIVERING to me as MY ORDER (they messed up the factory order) and long story short - I ended up getting a REPLACEMENT CAR ($$ for compensation) .... so IMHO....I have nothing aginst any MFGER or BRAND. HOWEVER if MB has marketed itself as a PREMIER BRAND ; than it should live up to that "image" it created ............ and resort to getting "people" to go to Forums and bulletin boards and posts 'dumb-down' version of complaints etc.

On the good side - for now GLK250 - we have done nearly 6800Miles ( driving a long road trip) and ::touch wood:: we haven't had this dreaded ADD_BLUE CEL yet !!! ...........so here to keeping this good FOR NOW.....

but we have had to stop at lots of MB DEALERS in USA/CANADA during our road trip - ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS - in our experience; most service people are very polite; but as most of them would tell u = We just work here - we don't know it all " ........ and yet the CUSTOMER is ALWAYS TOLD " TRY it for now , and you can always COME BACK IF IT STILL PLAYS UP AND WE WILL FIX IT"

cHEERS!

Last edited by miked807; 07-10-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: **sorry fior typos** sucks dirvin & typin on Ipad!**
Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 AM

benz w211
Originally Posted by bugelrex
On a side note, wondering who will be first to be brave enough to try out the adblue emulators to disable the need for adblue

http://www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/t...stem-2134.html
Not bad, you can have a try
Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
That system refers to European trucks. The technical data indicates it's for 24V systems. Ours are 12V. Nowhere on their website is there any reference to use in 12V vehicles. I damned sure won't be the first to try! Besides, I've not had any problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM

benz w211
Originally Posted by Bob338
That system refers to European trucks. The technical data indicates it's for 24V systems. Ours are 12V. Nowhere on their website is there any reference to use in 12V vehicles. I damned sure won't be the first to try! Besides, I've not had any problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
If your car with EURO 4/5 exhaust emission, you can test
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM

2014 GLK250 09/13
Originally Posted by jimbeam7
OK, back here again after 6 months and 3000 miles. The CEL and AdBlue warning are on again and I'm back at the dealer. This time I'm told there is a leak in the AdBlue system since it's low. They gave me a loaner and it has been a day so far. Let's see what happens.
I forgot to post the resolution. So the CEL on 6/24 was fixed with a new software update, the second so far.

Lo and behold, the CEL is back with a vengeance today for the 3rd time since I bought this vehicle in December 2013. For people who are wishing that the CEL won't come back, good luck! There is a systemic problem with 2014 GLK250s, which needs to be addressed by the manufacturer ASAP!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 AM

2014 GLK250 09/13
I forgot to post the resolution. So the CEL on 6/24 was fixed with a new software update, the second so far.

Lo and behold, the CEL is back with a vengeance today for the 3rd time since I bought this vehicle in December 2013. For people who are wishing that the CEL won't come back, good luck! There is a systemic problem with 2014 GLK250s, which needs to be addressed by the manufacturer ASAP!
It's time to make this issue more public. I've already twitted to @MercedesBenz #MercedesBenz regarding our problems. Please join in!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Knock on wood, 20,000 km and still zero issues with this.

I really feel for everyone having these issues. If I were constantly back and forth with problems like this I'd take the hit and sell the vehicle.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 PM

2014 GLK250 09/13
Originally Posted by koalatm
Knock on wood, 20,000 km and still zero issues with this.

I really feel for everyone having these issues. If I were constantly back and forth with problems like this I'd take the hit and sell the vehicle.
Yeah, MercedesBenz and the dealers should take the hit and buyback all of these faulty cars.

After contacting MercedesBenz Germany, I finally got MBUSA's attention and they are assessing the issue.

You can go to http://www.mercedes-benz.de/ and click on "Kontakt" on the upper right side of the page. If you can't figure out the German, you can use Google Translate (http://translate.google.com).
Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S213
Again, frustrated, pissed, sad...

After 1000 miles (now totally 4400 miles) later, CEL again. Car was two times in June in the dealer.

My loss here is that, I am back to Europe (my project in US ended) with my failing car. No warranty, but I try to find what can be done. Car is still under a year old, and 4400 miles!!! This is now third time after June.

I already contacted MB Germany. Let' see if they allow me to go to local dealer in my home country (outside USA) to fix this, without charging.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Ouch, that is not a fun situation.

I'm sure MB will step up and help. On the bright side, consider that you saved €15,000 buying it in the US instead of Germany.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM

GLK 350
ad blue

I have a 2014 GLK 250 that had the ad blue light come on, 10 starts remaining. I checked ad blue level and it was full. Naturally this was on a weekend : ( but I emailed RAB in San Rafael, CA and they got me in first thing Monday, 3 starts remaining.. The first thing they tried was replacing an injection port that supplies ad blue to exhaust. Same problem. The second thing was replacing the computer controlling the ad blue injection. That did solve the problem. Took one day as they had both parts in stock! : ) I love the car. This is my third GLK and my first diesel ever and I Love the performance.
With my first two GLKs I was getting 21 MPG, this one, same driving, 31 MPG.
Amazing!! This was my first problem ever with the 3 GLKs and RAB had me going in one day. Special thanks to Service Writer Mark….Thanks to the board for all the information…
Old 11-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
GLK 250 BT

I am curious of the number of MB GLK series you have owned/or/leased?
I receive deals about once a month from Mercedes Benz...am I looking to trade & upgrade to another Mercedes. ?I see a greater amount of Mercedes being driven in my area & Mercedes a competitive price wise for the newer models...
The only concerns I have is good preparation for winter,since I do travel to parts of Maine ...with coincidence areas that received snow a few days ago.
Saved money this year since my Pennsylvania Vehicle Inspection does not include Diesels (exempt from emissions) . Safety only & I did not go through the MB Dealer...the sticker cost the same but the shop hourly rate is far more to inspect.Of course, I missed the coffee service & the pastry .
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 PM

GLK 350

I had a 2010 GLK350, a 2012 GLK350 and now 2014 GLK 250. Obviously I enjoy the GLK ; ) Good size for me and San Francisco Bay Area congestion…
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 PM

GLK250
Every two years a new GLK

Originally Posted by chosipian
I had a 2010 GLK350, a 2012 GLK350 and now 2014 GLK 250. Obviously I enjoy the GLK ; ) Good size for me and San Francisco Bay Area congestion…
The size of the GLK is ideal for me and the fuel economy has been good.
Given the cost of diesel ,in certain markets are lower, the mileage per gallon has improved overall whether in city,mixed or on highway.
The greatest problem I have seen is poor road conditions in States that charged high fuel taxes.In a recent trip from Pennsylvania to Maryland, the cost for diesel was 50 cents per gallon for diesel fuel.
In Maine , there were 4 grades of diesel at a fuel station of which two would be acceptable for my GLK. Ultra low sulfur, Ultra low listed :Ultra diesel, Biodiesel...Maritime boat diesel.In a pinch a pump Off-road...of course there would be a problem with using the wrong diesel.Cetane rating...
Stopped by a place, an old character trucker said he drains all Home heating oil tanks that come to the metal salvage yard....burns -safely as long as he can avoid the tax collectors the color of dye would give him away....keep it very quiet ,that trick.His diesel trucks are pre-DET & the black smoke seems not to be problem to him... not a good place to discuss EPA.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:01 PM

2014 250 GLK
Second time the adblue warning has been on in a year

It's time to make this issue more public. I've already twitted to @MercedesBenz #MercedesBenz regarding our problems. Please join in!
Hello
I have got so much information out of this forum that I felt I should add our names to those with adblue issues with our 2014 GLK 250. It first happened to us in June at about 4K miles when we were away from home but luckily staying the night near a MB dealer. They had not heard of it but added a small amount of adblue and then replaced a "control module". We paid $41 for 4 small bottles of adblue. Fast forward to this week and the 10 starts plus CEL came on (the last time I don't think the CEL went on). Dealer followed (service advisory) LI49. 10-P-058243 Ver.2 and found no more recent software, checked for adblue leaks (none found), filled with 3.848 (no idea of units for this), reset NOx sensor and cleared remaining codes. This time we didn't pay for the adblue which was good (and fair!).

When we took it in the service advisor said he had never heard of this issue so while it was being serviced I called MB USA and told them my story and how I thought this issue wasn't getting enough attention from MB. He was very sympathetic to the inconvenience it caused but said it was not a global issue as yet. I said that it was a US one given 16 pages of postings on MBWorld and maybe due to more stringent US emission standards dictating the design of US market cars. He made notes in my file and encouraged me to call back if it wasn't fixed/occured again so it could be pushed up the chain. The number I called was 1 800 367 6372 and I strongly encourage others to call.He said that if we were going on a journey away from big metropolis areas taking a bottle of adblue might assuage any fears of this happening again but from reading the posts I don't think that the lower level of adblue is the issue or filling it up would fix the starts problem. This and the fact that we have no spare tire makes this a problematic car for trips imo.

Last edited by bdturnham; 11-07-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: error in phone number
Old 11-07-2014, 07:18 PM

GLK250
Great info

Originally Posted by bdturnham
Hello
I have got so much information out of this forum that I felt I should add our names to those with adblue issues with our 2014 GLK 250. It first happened to us in June at about 4K miles when we were away from home but luckily staying the night near a MB dealer. They had not heard of it but added a small amount of adblue and then replaced a "control module". We paid $41 for 4 small bottles of adblue. Fast forward to this week and the 10 starts plus CEL came on (the last time I don't think the CEL went on). Dealer followed (service advisory) LI49. 10-P-058243 Ver.2 and found no more recent software, checked for adblue leaks (none found), filled with 3.848 (no idea of units for this), reset NOx sensor and cleared remaining codes. This time we didn't pay for the adblue which was good (and fair!).

When we took it in the service advisor said he had never heard of this issue so while it was being serviced I called MB USA and told them my story and how I thought this issue wasn't getting enough attention from MB. He was very sympathetic to the inconvenience it caused but said it was not a global issue as yet. I said that it was a US one given 16 pages of postings on MBWorld and maybe due to more stringent US emission standards dictating the design of US market cars. He made notes in my file and encouraged me to call back if it wasn't fixed/occured again so it could be pushed up the chain. The number I called was 1 800 367 6372 and I strongly encourage others to call.He said that if we were going on a journey away from big metropolis areas taking a bottle of adblue might assuage any fears of this happening again but from reading the posts I don't think that the lower level of adblue is the issue or filling it up would fix the starts problem. This and the fact that we have no spare tire makes this a problematic car for trips imo.
In your story line,there was one piece of info that bothers me(the $41 Dollar charge for DET) considering the problem & you were under warranty -no charge should ever have occurred. Of course,I am a new owner myself of MB GLK 250BT...
I probably would avoid using the Dealer ,if only for a warranty issue.
As far as tires 235/50/R19 MO E Run flats , there is much new info on the forum if you decide to you want to purchase the Emergency spare kit.
Since my purchase of MB GLK250BT ,there are available replacement run flat by Michelin,Pirelli, Continental ,Yokohama, with specials there is savings ...I doubt whether I would purchase my tires from the MB Dealer ,if I did it would have to be a super deal but the shop costs probably would not be a deal...Tire rotation I have done during my PA Inspection, Oil change can be done at my Garage even with Mobil one & the right filter.
There is an adage said that if you can't afford the high Prices of the MB Dealer then possibly a person should not buy a Mercedes...I love the way I was treated during my initial purchase process & it was the easiest purchase I ever experienced. My salesperson did not make the cut
& was let go...He allowed me to order my GLK250BT from Germany & I excluded many of the items that were on the sales lot...saving money on not purchasing certain items...no pressure what- so -ever.& through the process I had an exact date when the vehicle arrived in Baltimore Seagirt & the day the vehicle was ready for pick-up.
I could not believe how easy it was...but when I made an inquiry about parts ,upgrades , that was a bad experience...the parts manager would not give me the time of day...
That experience with Parts Manager left a bad taste in my mouth....
Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 AM

MB GLK 250 Bluetec
Ad Blue warning and CEL light on

My husband and I both bought GLK 250 Bluetecs in May of 2013 and we loved all the many positives. This love for the car started to fade quickly. Both of our cars had loud squeaky front windows and both had to be replaced. My battery died when the car was a year old.

Most recently, my Add blue warning came on only after 4500 miles since last service (I currently have 24,500 miles on the car). It never came on before the 10 or 20k mile services. It turned out it was completely empty, not a sensor problem, and not a leak. Roadside assistance filled it up with 5.5 1.9 liter bottles, but couldn't get the "1 more start" message or CEL to go off. I drove an hour in traffic to drop it off at the dealer. Now it is at the dealer to be diagnosed. Meanwhile, my husbands' AD Blue warning came on also, but when roadside assist filled his up, the warning message went away. It appears that my mixture was too rich with adblue and that's why the level was so low so soon. Could this have done damage to the engine?

I feel the same as several people in this thread--I bought a new car so it would be trouble free. Instead I feel I am regularly at the dealership and would be perhaps doing better with a 10 year old car! Has anyone had any luck with the dealership buying back the car at a reasonable amount when the car has had several problems, but not enough problems to declare it a legal lemon. Or, has anyone been able to get an extended warranty at little or no charge when there have been so many problems? I'm hankering to get the BMW X3 Diesel because I've made too many trips to the dealership for a car that is only a year and a half old. So frustrating!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 PM

GLK250
Considering a used GLK250

First I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread with their personal stories, it has been very educating to read through this thread in its entirety. It also answers some questions I had about a used GLK250 that I am considering.

The question of course is whether I should move forward with a purchase on this vehicle or view it as a rotten apple and move on. Here is a little background on the car from the service records provided by the dealership:

2014 GLK250 with a Production date of Aug 5, 2013 - so it is an early build car similar to many of the vehicles that had the AdBlue problem. The previous owner took possession at the end of August. A little over a week later, the vehicle was back at the same dealership for service on a "NOx sensor Electrical fault" @433 miles. Fast forward 2,000 miles and 2 months and the vehicle is back at the dealership for "Control unit, diesel engine". That seems to do the trick for a while, but it is back in for service nearly a year after the purchase @10k miles for another "NOx sensor Electrical fault". 4,00 miles later, the vehicle is now for sale.

My impression is the original owner got fed up dealing with the AdBlue problem and simply moved on to another car. The question I have is whether there is a fix or if this car seems to be a permanent bad apple. While I could ask the dealership, I have no prior history with them so I am not sure I can completely trust them. Clearly they are interested in selling the car and are presenting it as "pristine" and "like new".

Is there a happy ending to the AdBlue problem, or does it remain an albatross around what is otherwise an attractive vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by BlueMyriddn
First I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread with their personal stories, it has been very educating to read through this thread in its entirety. It also answers some questions I had about a used GLK250 that I am considering.

The question of course is whether I should move forward with a purchase on this vehicle or view it as a rotten apple and move on. Here is a little background on the car from the service records provided by the dealership:

2014 GLK250 with a Production date of Aug 5, 2013 - so it is an early build car similar to many of the vehicles that had the AdBlue problem. The previous owner took possession at the end of August. A little over a week later, the vehicle was back at the same dealership for service on a "NOx sensor Electrical fault" @433 miles. Fast forward 2,000 miles and 2 months and the vehicle is back at the dealership for "Control unit, diesel engine". That seems to do the trick for a while, but it is back in for service nearly a year after the purchase @10k miles for another "NOx sensor Electrical fault". 4,00 miles later, the vehicle is now for sale.

My impression is the original owner got fed up dealing with the AdBlue problem and simply moved on to another car. The question I have is whether there is a fix or if this car seems to be a permanent bad apple. While I could ask the dealership, I have no prior history with them so I am not sure I can completely trust them. Clearly they are interested in selling the car and are presenting it as "pristine" and "like new".

Is there a happy ending to the AdBlue problem, or does it remain an albatross around what is otherwise an attractive vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
My 2014 GLK250 was born on August 7, 2013 and delivered on August 27th, 2013. As I wrote in May this year:"
After first AdBlue fix in November 2013 at 1600 miles on my 2014 GLK there are no problems so far with total ~6000 miles. I will report later after coming back from another 1700 miles trip next week."

The summer trip was OK, but at 9,200 miles back in August 2014 right after Service A "CEL light - P229F NOx Sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 2" light came on. The problem was solved by the dealer after 4 hours doing something. They could not explain, something with connections.

Now in December 2014 with 12K no complains. The car is beautiful. I will report later after coming back from the Florida trip later in December. In the future I am going to buy Mercedes extended warranty before my factory warranty is up...
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM

GLK250
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
In the future I am going to buy Mercedes extended warranty before my factory warranty is up...
Thanks for the response, your GLK sounds like it has had a similar life history to the one I am considering. It also sounds like I should carefully review any warranty information that comes with the vehicle.

It also seems like there is no definitive - "yes, we have this problem licked" - from Mercedes Benz based on yours and other people uncertainty in this thread.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by BlueMyriddn
Thanks for the response, your GLK sounds like it has had a similar life history to the one I am considering. It also sounds like I should carefully review any warranty information that comes with the vehicle.

It also seems like there is no definitive - "yes, we have this problem licked" - from Mercedes Benz based on yours and other people uncertainty in this thread.
Yes, you are right. To me all repairs were done by warranty and the loaner was provided. I am not thinking to replace the vehicle with something else. I like it.

What puzzles me is that E250 has the same (I assume) set up and there are no complains on AdBlue issue. On the other hand other makes ( GM, Chevy, etc.) are experiencing similar issues.

Regardless, I am waiting for 2016 GLK (or whatever name will be) diesel to be my second Mercedes.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 AM

MB GLK 250 Bluetec
GLK Adblue warning

Well, it's been almost three weeks and my car is still at the dealership. They tried everything and can't get the "1 more start" message to go away. They have contacted the higher ups to figure out what to try now. I think this car is the best in it's class, I just got mine too soon before they got the bugs out. I purchased in May after it had been out for only a couple of weeks. After I got mine, I loved it so much I urged my friend and husband to buy and they love theirs. My husband has had a few problems, but nothing as big as mine. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 AM

GLK250
Originally Posted by convo
Well, it's been almost three weeks and my car is still at the dealership. They tried everything and can't get the "1 more start" message to go away. They have contacted the higher ups to figure out what to try now. I think this car is the best in it's class, I just got mine too soon before they got the bugs out. I purchased in May after it had been out for only a couple of weeks. After I got mine, I loved it so much I urged my friend and husband to buy and they love theirs. My husband has had a few problems, but nothing as big as mine. Hope this helps.
I am sorry to hear of your repeated problems. It sounds like there are a bad apples and unfortunately you may have gotten one and I am worried that I am looking at another in this used car. Sounds like if you get the right GLK250 it is a splendid vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, it was helpful to my wife and I as we consider our purchase. I hope your storm cloud ends up with a silver lining.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
Originally Posted by convo

I'm thinking, does the lemon law apply to your car as it's been out of service for more than 3 weeks consecutively?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning