GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk250
Well, here I am after having read through all 16 pages of your comments. I am sad to say I am the latest victim of the dreaded “10 Starts” curse. Just happened to me driving home from work. I have a brand new 2014 GLK250 not even 5000 miles on it and yet here it is already starting to have problems. Don’t get me wrong, I love my car, I like the way it rides, the handling, the torque, the mileage! I’m number one biggest fan. But what the hay? I was even being a good boy and waiting 15 starts to see if it would reset from being a loose gas cap and then suddenly the message alert pops up “10 starts remaining”. Please Mercedes, don’t make me go through this! Don’t pretend like this problem is new or uncommon when it is well documented by users. I googled two words to get here: 1) glk250 and 2) CEL and this page was at the top. I’ve read all your pain guys and this aint gonna be a fun ride. Luckily they gave me an appointment for Tuesday for the recall service and to check the yellow CEL. But now that this message popped up, it seems my baby’s caught the adblue curse. We’ll see what happens on Tuesday #thanksobama
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM

2014 250 GLK
Do post back buckeye soldier on what they do to your car and it would be good to hear from others whether whatever "fix" was applied worked or not. Knock on wood we have been free of Adblue CEL warnings since ours last happened in the fall but the cars sits in the garage most days (live in the city and are retired). If I had read this thread before buying the car plus realizing that it didn't have a spare tire I think I would have chosen something else. But I am not willing to take the hit on trading it in and like others we are happy with it in other ways. I would hope that someone from MB would be monitoring this forum but here again is the 'phone number I used to MB USA in case anyone wants to call and complain. 1 800 367 6372
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
I'm sure they'll be successful in repairing yours, buckeye. Most of these problems have gone away now and given that you only have 5,000 miles on your '14, it's just taken you longer to run into the issues.

We already have 22,000 miles on our '14 GLK, but fortunately have not had any issues with this.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Consumption of DEF /UREA

The assumption of the warning note deals with the need for DEF...
which you can do yourself add the a few bottles.
I was surprised that at 5.000 ,I had consumed so much, I going to be more aware that my vehicle's usage.
I believe I can add the DEF without much problem & at a lower price than the dealer charges.It's probably a wise decision to see the dealer ...if it is a warranty problem but it is your decision to allow them to do add on's.
It was an expensive lesson for me because my service writer gave me an incomplete write up...
The dealer always want to replace wiper blades ,tires, and other things,just like any car dealer likes to do...stick it to the customer$$$.
In contacting members of the forum & doing some research , I did not rush back to the Dealer to find some problem that did not exist...hopefully,your dealer will give you some straight talk fix the problem & you can leave satisfied.

The original problem of this warning problem did not start with my complaint but I did reply to the original owner noting this problem...
So ,in few words ,you are not isolated . I am learning much about how my MB GLK250BT during this USA Cold SNAP and the warnings related to cold.
Some of these problems I was aware of since I purchased my vehicle in Feb 2014

Originally Posted by buckeyesoldier
Well, here I am after having read through all 16 pages of your comments. I am sad to say I am the latest victim of the dreaded “10 Starts” curse. Just happened to me driving home from work. I have a brand new 2014 GLK250 not even 5000 miles on it and yet here it is already starting to have problems. Don’t get me wrong, I love my car, I like the way it rides, the handling, the torque, the mileage! I’m number one biggest fan. But what the hay? I was even being a good boy and waiting 15 starts to see if it would reset from being a loose gas cap and then suddenly the message alert pops up “10 starts remaining”. Please Mercedes, don’t make me go through this! Don’t pretend like this problem is new or uncommon when it is well documented by users. I googled two words to get here: 1) glk250 and 2) CEL and this page was at the top. I’ve read all your pain guys and this aint gonna be a fun ride. Luckily they gave me an appointment for Tuesday for the recall service and to check the yellow CEL. But now that this message popped up, it seems my baby’s caught the adblue curse. We’ll see what happens on Tuesday #thanksobama
Old 02-13-2015, 02:07 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Adding DEF is very easy. I've now done it once, and it's really not difficult at all and the good news is if you overfill, it has a drainage area for this very thing.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:08 PM

GLK250
Easy Method

Originally Posted by koalatm
Adding DEF is very easy. I've now done it once, and it's really not difficult at all and the good news is if you overfill, it has a drainage area for this very thing.
Appreciate the info, I have seen a number of presentation on the internet ....

depending on the country, the Mercedes Benz , the convenient seems to be what needs to be moved out the storage area.
When I brought my MB GLK250BT for the area was cleared of any items that would produce a problem ,increase the clock hours.The clock hours deals with how much time I wish to wait..my time is also valuable...
When the dealer does work it realized that a job charged 1 hour ,sometimes take 15 minutes....The job might have been done within 15 minutes but the job work book says one hour ,so the customer has to wait out the hour appearance for the justification..".THE DEALER GAME is ALWAYS THE SAME"
A Vehicle Recall is a different game...especially when the Manufacturer's takes the hit...
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM

MBGLK250
"It may have been missed at the factory" This would be very hard to imagine and even one event like this would trigger a quality management review. No one wants those. More likely a sensor hiccup in the ad blue system. Don't shut off the engine after you get the 1 start left until addressed by service. Another reason the BT's aren't best suited for in and around town short distance driving. More starts means faster adblue consumption.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 AM

MBGLK250
Also, I wanted the oil changed at 5000 miles and opted for the "A" service. I also asked to inspect the ad blu level and top off. At a little over 5000 miles, the service tech added 1.5 gallons (into a 7 gallon tank). This indicates I should be able to go well beyond the 10000 miles (another 7000 miles since top up as of this post) between ad blu top ups. Again the secret (IMHO) is the length of trips and the frequency of starts. The latter would might also explain the absence of ECO auto shut-off mode. Oddly, the auto shut-off is present in the E250 BT sedan(??)
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 PM

GLK250
Hiccups ,ADBlue, Short distance driving and other concerns

I appreciate the response concerning the advice.
The consumption of DEF is not my concern. Apparently but not proven that my problem was a sensor in the diesel injector with the cold weather& a bad mix of winter grade Diesel. I do plan to address the problem with the dealer if the problem reoccurs ,monitor any known manufacturer recalls, or Vehicle advisements. The Problem Code from the scan points to sensor reading but included problem also is the quality of the diesel fuel at the pump.ISO/SAE The injector sensor did a good job but it does not mean that the sensor is bad.
The hiccup went away with addition of a Diesel Fuel Conditioner blended to the measure of existing fuel in the tank. So far,long & short travel the vehicle is running normally ,scans find no error codes exist presently...fingers/toes crossed. Fuel Consumption is good ,I am once again getting good MPG .
It is quite true that I do make my share of short trips , long trips also.
Fuzzy Logic : the trip to the MB Dealer is an Hour Drive...& once the problem comes back , I will head to the DEALER.Dealers love problems & their habits can create more problems, unnecessary repairs...KISS THEORY: keep -it- simple -stupid.
I emailed the PA Agency that monitors the Fuel pumps ,posed my question about their monitoring of fuel quality & the metering system of accurate dispensing. A driver of any vehicle wants to know what quality of fuel is placed in the vehicle...
Just because I own a Mercedes does not mean I have deep pockets$$$.
I had no problems until I took my MB in for scheduled service.
5,600 miles ,I consumed 2 bottles of DEF out of a capacity of 17 stored in the tank...??
Old 03-01-2015, 12:21 AM

2015 E250 Bluetec
I recently bought a certified Preowned 2014 E250 with 5,500 miles. At 5,900 I got a CEL and and the dealer said the computer update fixed the faulty NOx bad reading. Now I'm at 6,200 with a CEL and 8 starts remaining for adblue. I'm dropping the car off on Monday.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM

GLK250
Different model/ same engine

In this response,I did some research on the E250..diesel.
I am not sure of your options because you mentioned that your vehicle
was pre-owned...One thing is certain,the computers on board are going to let the owner know if there are any problems...reminders.
Making a decision to correct any problems immediately depends.
In your case, it is probably a good idea to get your problem taken care of because the vehicle will not restart unless take care of the problem.

The MB Forum has provided much information ,especially advice concerning
cold weather starts in frigid weather, operating temperature to prevent warning alerts.Most owners of gasoline engines have been told that with modern engines owners do not need a prolonged idle...Diesel engines ,in my experience have different requirements...the learning curve is steep especially with single digit temperatures...In the world of big diesels ...there is a engine block warmer cord hanging from front of their engines, covers over radiators . This time last year, the temperatures seemed warmer & cold weather starts were not as much of a problem. This year ,2015 ,i observe all the warnings...looking forward to Spring,warmer weather...
Old 05-03-2015, 12:49 AM

GLK250 BlueTec
Is This Problem Seen in 2015 Models?

I am new to the forum and considering a purchase of a 2015 GLK250. I'm sorry for those of you who suffered this problem with AdBlue. Is there any indication that this problem extends to the 2015 GLK250?

Thank you again for all the reports. They have frightened me regarding a purchase of a 2015 model, but I truly like all other inherent features of the vehicle.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 AM

2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
Welcome aboard powerband, I've had my 250 for 13 months and has both the A and B service done and put on 33000 kilometres with out a single issue. I'd feel confident in buying another.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Originally Posted by Powerband
I am new to the forum and considering a purchase of a 2015 GLK250. I'm sorry for those of you who suffered this problem with AdBlue. Is there any indication that this problem extends to the 2015 GLK250?

Thank you again for all the reports. They have frightened me regarding a purchase of a 2015 model, but I truly like all other inherent features of the vehicle.
No one has reported a 2015 with this issue as far as I'm aware. Our 2014 has 35,000 km on it and has had zero issues regarding this.

All we've had so far are two bad parking sensors, which is fairly common from what the dealer told us.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:26 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Thanks for the replies. I read through every page here and saw no report of later-model 2014 and definitely no mention of the 2015 model possessing this AdBlue problem. I also did a google search (several pages deep) and saw no report of the 2015 GLK 250 having this issue. I'm off to the dealer for another test drive. May be pulling into my garage with one today.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:44 PM

TTRS GLK250BT S1000RR FJR1300
Hello all, it's been a long while since I've posted. My 2014 GLK250 needed to be brought in with a CEL Feb 2014, and with a CEL + Remaining Starts: 10 Feb 2015, so definitely not completely fixed yet. Both Feb events occurred during a long cold spell (-25 to -30C).

I did ask what happens if this keeps occuring after the warranty period, and was told not to worry and implied MB would still cover this issue under warranty.

Good Luck all...
Old 05-03-2015, 04:22 PM

GLK250
TTRSh:
In my particular case, there are alerts that seem to occur during cold weather at the temperature you noted.Sensors can give a false reading "like Window washer fluid low"
but tank is full...then later that message disappears....I do not have panic attack & run to the
MB Dealer.
Answer : Not a warranty issue ,my prior experience with my MB DEALER has not been a positive one. If a warranty issue connected with USA Recall , I would return...
My MB Dealer completed "First Scheduled Service" but seemed to find other things beyond the estimate. DEALER Shop costs are naturally higher & in last year I have used a trusted Service Center to do tire rotations.I use a scan tool to remove oil change warnings because the MB Dealer failed to do so during my last service.The alert automatically appeared & the oil change was already done...
Another Mercedes Benz Owner reported that he no longer uses the same MB Dealer.
If you own a Mercedes , the costs may be greater but I have found similar experiences when I owned a Ford or Toyota with Dealers in General.
I have extra bottles of AdBlue & watch my odometer...it is not a difficult process to add the diesel exhaust treatment.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Thanks for the replies. I read through every page here and saw no report of later-model 2014 and definitely no mention of the 2015 model possessing this AdBlue problem. I also did a google search (several pages deep) and saw no report of the 2015 GLK 250 having this issue. I'm off to the dealer for another test drive. May be pulling into my garage with one today.
Well, I pulled the trigger on a white GLK250. Just off the truck with 9 miles on the odometer. Beige and chocolate interior. Will pick it up tomorrow (Monday) when they finish prepping it.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 PM

GLK250
Congrats

Just wondering, did you buy off the lot or did you have your MB GLK250 configured & ordered from Germany.
In my case , none were available on any MB Lot....I waited a month,was \notified that my car was ready.
Though was experience with my local dealer during my First service...the process of ordering the only options I wished was positive.
Read your Manual Carefully before you venture out ...the MB GLK may have factory settings, & you can adjust the vehicle to your liking.

Best of luck,happy motoring
Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 AM

GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by HONDO250
Just wondering, did you buy off the lot or did you have your MB GLK250 configured & ordered from Germany.
HONDO250, after test driving a black GLK250 with too many packages I didn't want, I asked the salesperson if there was one in white (my first choice by a long shot), and he looked through his inventory and found none. I figured I would start the process of building one but noticed, through the glass partition separating the showroom and the service area, a lone white GLK in the service bay, sitting by itself. Long story short: it was a GLK250, specified exactly how I wanted, with the exact color combo inside and out, sitting in the service bay since Friday closing time, awaiting dealership PDI.

THE. ONLY. ONE. That was not PDI complete. So the negotiating process started. Told them they can have that sold before they take the plastic covers off the sheet metal… for a good price.

Got a good deal on both the purchase price and a trade-in. Signed the paper work. Got a loaner C300 Luxury (nice) to drive home for the night and will come back to pick the GLK250 up tomorrow afternoon. In and out in 2 hours.

Originally Posted by HONDO250

Read your Manual Carefully before you venture out ...the MB GLK may have factory settings, & you can adjust the vehicle to your liking.

Best of luck,happy motoring
For sure, I'll read the manual. I read everything I can get my hands on. The same cereal box during breakfast. The health warning signs at bars in California. The tags on a new mattress. Even books by Salman Rushdie.

Looking forward to driving the BlueTec, and hopefully this will be my last post in this thread. (I hope to contribute to other threads here.)

Cheers.

Last edited by Powerband; 05-04-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:03 PM

GLK250
Choices

It is exciting to get your MB GLK 250BT (USA ) or other similar models.
My choice was to eliminate the Back-up Camera , & Navigation System.
I did not get the leather seats,rather got the other faux Leather offered....
I use my cellphone has Satellite Travel Map App...it is in Real Time..

Best of Luck

HONDO250, after test driving a black GLK250 with too many packages I didn't want, I asked the salesperson if there was one in white (my first choice by a long shot), and he looked through his inventory and found none. I figured I would start the process of building one but noticed, through the glass partition separating the showroom and the service area, a lone white GLK in the service bay, sitting by itself. Long story short: it was a GLK250, specified exactly how I wanted, with the exact color combo inside and out, sitting in the service bay since Friday closing time, awaiting dealership PDI.

THE. ONLY. ONE. That was not PDI complete. So the negotiating process started. Told them they can have that sold before they take the plastic covers off the sheet metal… for a good price.

Got a good deal on both the purchase price and a trade-in. Signed the paper work. Got a loaner C300 Luxury (nice) to drive home for the night and will come back to pick the GLK250 up tomorrow afternoon. In and out in 2 hours.

For sure, I'll read the manual. I read everything I can get my hands on. The same cereal box during breakfast. The health warning signs at bars in California. The tags on a new mattress. Even books by Salman Rushdie.

Looking forward to driving the BlueTec, and hopefully this will be my last post in this thread. (I hope to contribute to other threads here.)

Cheers.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:33 PM

TTRS GLK250BT S1000RR FJR1300
Hondo250, thanks for responding...I can't take the risk of running out of starts before having the issue resolve itself. Going to my dealer is on the way to work, so it's not a big inconvenience, and I get to put wear and tear on their loaners....and I know some of you guys will cringe, but my dealer does a decent job washing the car. It was nice to see the blue again after being covered in salt in February.

Well, mostly driving my summer vehicles now, so don't expect to see this problem until next winter. Cheers!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 PM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetech
CEL light

Originally Posted by skelly5282
Took possesion of my brand new GLK 250 on Nov 16, 2013.On the drive home from the dealer that same day,the CEL came on.Immediately phoned the dealer and was told to check the gas cap.Instead I just refuelled the car and the CEL was no longer on when I re-started the vehicle.Have driven it approx 2000kms since that date.Yesterday,the dreaded CEL came on again.I figured likely the same issue as I had originally,so I stopped and refuelled and made sure gas cap was on tight.Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.This morning,while driving,the AdBlue warning came on,and the CEL remains on.Since today is Sunday,the dealership is not open.Hopefully I can get the vehicle in early next week.Sadly,I will have to drive over 100 miles to the dealership and have to take a day off work to get it looked at.

Are there any updates on this issue?Does anyone know if MB actually has a solution for this problem?

thanks
Same thing happened to me. Bought a 2014, 250 GLK with 10000km from the dealer last December. On the second day of possession the CEL light and starts remaining came on. The dealer fixed it (no invoice) and I was on my way to Florida from Ottawa. In Pensylvania the starts remaining and CE L came on. After phoning roadside assist, dealer in Harrisburgh and the dealer on Ottawa I was told to keep on driving and check into a dealer as soon as I could. After a fill up with diesel, low and behold both lights were out. This is now 6000km later and both lights came on again. Car is at the dealership and I am waiting for two days. Luckily I have a f150 which never lets me down. So far I am not impressed with my first (a childhood dream) Benz.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 PM

2013 GLK250BT 1984 380SL
I recently bought a 2013 GLK 250 BT with 80,000 Kl ... After about 600 K I got the dreaded CEL & Remaining starts problem. I have had the car in the shop several times and replaced injector, NOX sensors, etc, etc, as well as several program updates. And still, every time after 200K I get the problem back again. No-one seems to know what serves as the "permanent" fix for this problem.
Is my only option to trade in the car and stay away from Diesels ?
I really like the vehicle but Mercedes is really letting me down with this one !
Old 01-03-2016, 06:26 PM

GLK250
I experienced a similar problem & my vehicle had very low mileage.
In my particular case , I added a Diesel Fuel Treatment & the problem went away.
In the United States , the STATE AGENCY , had a reference web site , I requested a testing of my fueling source.Apparently that station was changing over from Cold Weather Diesel mixture. Because the problem generated a problem code, my scan tool removed that trouble code...the Diesel fuel created a problem. The problem has not reappeared in two winters.
You are a Canadian & I do not know the Cetane levels,or the requirement for Cold Weather Diesel fuel.An approved Mercedes Benz Dealer probably replace everything, find a problem that may not exist.I do not know if there was a Warranty ISSUE
.I do not use a Mercedes Benz Dealers rather my oil change/filter changes are done by Qualified Diesel Technician...the repair facility use only Mercedes Benz parts & the Approved Mobil ONE
The forum also had a few other owners of MercedesBenz GLK 250 BT...NOx & injector troubles.
Your vehicle is a higher mileage diesel & I do not know your maintenance schedule for those system that need for scheduled maintenance.
In cold weather, Diesels need extra care in the Purchase of Dealer Fuel..I use a Diesel Fuel from Marathon Oil & fill up at a SPEEDWAY .
Currently there is much written by various sources ,problem VW, AUDI diesel vehicle.It creates problem for many Diesel Vehicle owners...So far no problem Mercedes Benz engines.
I believe you will receive other responses on the MB FORUM that will provide more encouragement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning