GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT 1984 380SL
Originally Posted by HONDO250
I experienced a similar problem & my vehicle had very low mileage.
In my particular case , I added a Diesel Fuel Treatment & the problem went away.
What fuel treatment did/do you use ?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
The following information concerns the product used during Cold Weather
POWER SERVICE PRODUCTS
Diesel Fuel SUPPLEMENT-Cetane BOOST/Winterizer/Anti-gel
32 FL oz (0.946 liter ) container
For 100 gallons
Side bar see-through measurement (calibrated) for proper mix volume ml/oz
I have found this product helpful in Cold Weather Diesel problems at +/- 25degrees F
There are other products on Market,whether available In Canada ( unknown)
Vehicle Mercedes Benz 2014 GLK250BT ( Diesel) USA
Product Specification can be reviewed before purchase of this formulation
Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk250
Well, after reading all the comments I should add that my car is at the dealer for the forth time for the ADDBLUE WARNING Light issue.
I have a 2015 glk 250 with close to 45K KM (30K miles) and within a month this issue came up 4 times. NOX sensors were replaced and updates done and still.
It's at the shop now so I'm waiting.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:37 PM

GLK250
SCAN TOOL is helpful to ID a fixable problem by owner

I recommend that every owner of a MB GLK250BT( diesel) or late model MB diesel vehicle purchase a scan tool that identify the problem & in the best situation eliminate a Trouble Code.Though I have not encountered AdBlue Warning Light , I probably will run the scan tool before I go for Service at an Authorized Mercedes Benz Dealer.
My prior difficulties was a problem with a tank of diesel fuel with Apparently high moisture content & lower than advised CETANE Level.
USA Sourced Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel lower cetane level than UK or some European Countries.

I have my required Oil changes done by a trained Mechanic who can properly install the oil filter and add the Appropriate Mobil One Synthetic Oil ...at a local service center.

The cost is far less and as long as my Maintenance Booklet is completed there is no Warranty Issues.
I have nothing bad experience with my MB Dealer & they have completed unauthorized updates & repairs & costs... If I go for an oil change that is the only authorized service.
In my negative experience , the dealership completed Scheduled Maintenance that was not authorized, charging double the price for DEF.
I add my own DEF and I have a large container MB Branded DEF, I have used other brands included Prestone & other bottles with the proper filler adapter that prevent over flow.
I save the bottle cut off the bottom ** (advice given by another Forum Member)**
It is a money saver and I feel assured by my own work...(The specification # on a DEF Product state whether the product meets the correct standard. ) The dealer uses the high volume container but charges twice the plus the extreme labor.
There are situations that an owner may wish to use their Dealer, try to find one that the owner can trust.

Last edited by HONDO250; 06-09-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling ,grammar
Old 07-15-2016, 03:08 PM

2008 SL65 AMG & 2014 GLK250 Bluetec
Angry 2014 GLK 250 with the 4th NOX replacement

42,000 miles

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/x204...l#post14186186
Old 07-15-2016, 07:48 PM

GLK250
KyKen:
You posted a question through benzworld ,also.
This check engine light problem seems to come up from time to time..causing some MB GLK 250 owners to run to their dealer.
Granted, if it has been established that your vehicle is on a recall list ,you should seek out your Authorized Mercedes Benz Dealer.My experience with my local authorized Mercedes Benz dealer has been a negative experience.
Your check engine light problem can be related to bad diesel fuel & when this occurs it will generate a check engine light. It seems to occur from my experience when the weather changes to cold and when unknown brand diesel is used.
Diesel's are a strange beast & I add a diesel boost product to eliminate wax ,water vapor it can be trapped in the underground fuel tank.I had one scary event and by adding the proper amount of a cold weather diesel treatment ,I have not had another event.I used my scan tool to correct the check engine light...problem...
My advice is to use a name brand diesel fuel ,avoid stations that sell unknown diesel fuel...try to get the highest Cetane number..be aware that Cold weather does effect diesel engines in a cold crank at low temperature.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 PM

GLK250 Bluetec Diesel Lessons -

I learned that topping off DEF is not always a good practice. I was filling the DEF at each oil change interval by adding 2 to 3 gallons. It was only 35% of the ~7.5 gallon capacity of the tank and 65% of the old DEF was in there. It has a shelf life and the Urea can precipitate causing issues. The dealer dumped the DEF and refilled it. They only charged me the $8/gallon for it and no labor.

Lessons learned over 4 - NOx sensor changes.

1) Always use a national brand diesel (I use Shell or BP).
2) Always use the MB OEM approved Engine Oil.
3) Always use MB OEM Oil Filter cartriges.
4) Always use MB OEM DEF.
5) Don't just top-off the DEF at each oil change. It has a shelf life. Don't fill it, just let it go down until the low DEF light comes on. Then do #4.
6) I don't know about CETANE additives or anti-gel or cleaner additives. I am not sure that MB recommends any of that.

Last edited by KyKen; 07-16-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:51 AM

GLK250
KyKen:
Much sound advice ...as for an emergency situation "like frigid weather"
There are situations that I have found that I will not run to MB Dealer for short term solutions.
The additives I have used are approved by Mercedes-Benz
My experience concerning topping off DEF periodically is done after driving a long distance.
The shelf life issue on Urea sounds like good advice...
My last experience at the Mercedes Benz Dealer at my first encounter was costly, the MB charged me 3X the cost of a Jug of Mercedes Benz DEF,at that scheduled 1st service they charged me $50 dollars for 3 half gallon jugs..$10 for 8 onces of windshield washer fluid ..I learned my lesson
I carry the approved DEF in half gallon size with special adapter or refill the DEF from old jug with the top cut off (as funnel)
If you check the specifications on the label of any purchased product ,it will assure that the product is safe for Mercedes Benz engine...there are many MB engines out there that use DEF..
Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
That's why I got the gas version with a direct injection 3.5 V6.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 PM

GLK250
sblvro:
You selected your 2014 MB GLK350 as a matter of choice.
I enjoy my 2014 MB GLK250 as a matter of my choice particularly the outstanding fuel economy. Many of my issues deal with my Authorized MB Dealer and the OEM Tires that came with the vehicle.I enjoyed having my vehicle made in Germany to my specifications.
If a MB owner cannot afford to pay the Ridiculous Cost of the Dealer Servicing,perhaps I should buy a used car. I have owned Fords,Toyota's new & old & the Dealers are all the same. I have found a Local Car Repair place with a Mercedes Benz training & he can do as good a job as a MB Dealer. He uses MB Parts ,filters ,Mobil One Oil ..I trust him not to ripe me off...granted if there were a recall ,I would take it back to MB Dealer ,otherwise ...I will continue to trust my local Service Center .
Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
Owning a diesel should not be this difficult.
The following users liked this post:
HONDO250 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by sblvro
Owning a diesel should not be this difficult.

That is exactly my sentiment. These emissions systems are not bullet proof enough to be used in daily driven consumer vehicles.
HONDO250 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
This is not that difficult. You just refill the DEF tank as necessary. If mixing new DEF fluid with old, potentially past-its-due-date DEF is a concern, just stick a Shop-Vac on the DEF tank inlet and vaccuum the old stuff out. I know I will. And if the oxygen sensors do ever go bad, a code reader is 80$ and a sensor is 219$ on the net. I'll save way more than that in fuel in the first year of ownership alone.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 AM

GLK250
There are various stories on expired (Old) DEF
Some are true /others are not..some is pure Myth
I don't believe it necessary to flush out old Def & put Fresh DEF in the Storage tank...
Storage area & exposure to heat,extreme cold can be a factor.
If DEF (AdBlu) is stored indoors without light and at room temperature ,the product will last without causing any damage to the product or emissions.
DEF can freeze ,UREA
I have been using Mercedes Benz Brand & it can be safely stored for 24 months
I don't store Adblu DEF in my car during the summer or winter.
I use the half gallon size with the proper connector to prevent over-fill.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
This is not that difficult. You just refill the DEF tank as necessary. If mixing new DEF fluid with old, potentially past-its-due-date DEF is a concern, just stick a Shop-Vac on the DEF tank inlet and vaccuum the old stuff out. I know I will. And if the oxygen sensors do ever go bad, a code reader is 80$ and a sensor is 219$ on the net. I'll save way more than that in fuel in the first year of ownership alone.

That's all well and good, but what will you do when your DPF is prematurely clogged and it will cost several thousand dollars to replace it? Or the soot accumulation has blocked up your EGR passages again requiring significant cost and partial engine tear down which is beyond the ability of the average consumer. As soon as the extra maintenance costs start hitting your pocket the diesel savings evaporate QUICKLY.

My 2014 glk 250 needed a DPF at 18K miles. It had received all regular service and still failed. Sure it was covered by warranty but how would you like to pay a $5-6K service bill on a part that should last 200k? And it took several trips just to get a proper diagnosis.

It's time to let go of the diesel and the illusion of savings. They cost more up front, they cost more to maintain, and it costs more to keep the buggy emissions system working all while putting out way to much particulate emissions.

I'll stick to gasoline until electric cars become as bulletproof an trouble free as modern gassers.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
DEF is a component of the EPA mandated pollution control system, therefore, would be very surprised if the dealer would agree to disable it. Very heavy fine if they did so. Further, even if the dealer agreed don't believe its within their capability.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
That's all well and good, but what will you do when your DPF is prematurely clogged and it will cost several thousand dollars to replace it? Or the soot accumulation has blocked up your EGR passages again requiring significant cost and partial engine tear down which is beyond the ability of the average consumer. As soon as the extra maintenance costs start hitting your pocket the diesel savings evaporate QUICKLY.

My 2014 glk 250 needed a DPF at 18K miles. It had received all regular service and still failed. Sure it was covered by warranty but how would you like to pay a $5-6K service bill on a part that should last 200k? And it took several trips just to get a proper diagnosis.
That would suck indeed. Why did your DPF fail? Bad diesel?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:24 PM

2015 GLK350
That would suck indeed. Why did your DPF fail? Bad diesel?
And there is another good point - they could not tell me why it failed.

I always used the same big brand fuel stations so if it was the fuel it probably effected more then just my car.

How can a critical major emissions component be allowed to fail by bad fuel. How is that acceptable. It is not.

The worst case of bad gasoline that I have experienced was due to water contamination. That was cleared up by adding a bottle of fuel system treatment and did little or no damage to the emission system.

Older diesels could run on nearly anything from kerosene to cooking oil. The new ones require specific low sulphur fuel or the emissions system will be destroyed.

Last edited by formerjeepguy; 07-19-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-19-2016, 03:04 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
And there is another good point - they could not tell me why it failed.

I always used the same big brand fuel stations so if it was the fuel it probably effected more then just my car.

How can a critical major emissions component be allowed to fail by bad fuel. How is that acceptable. It is not.

The worst case of bad gasoline that I have experienced was due to water contamination. That was cleared up by adding a bottle of fuel system treatment and did little or no damage to the emission system.

Older diesels could run on nearly anything from kerosene to cooking oil. The new ones require specific low sulphur fuel or the emissions system will be destroyed.
I do agree that older diesels were simple as hell. Newer ones are technological marvels. But the noise, smell and pollution levels are not in the same league at all.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
It's great that you are enthusiastic about your new GLK250. But there is a lot of background you should read. NOX exhaust treatment faults were a big problem for those that bought 2014 models. The system is presently the subject of class action suits in the USA because it only works when ambient temperature is above 10C.

We love our GLK, but we will move on once our MB extended and the emission warranties expire, or sooner. Just too much to go wrong on new cars (not just MBs)
HONDO250 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by 107123210
It's great that you are enthusiastic about your new GLK250. But there is a lot of background you should read. NOX exhaust treatment faults were a big problem for those that bought 2014 models. The system is presently the subject of class action suits in the USA because it only works when ambient temperature is above 10C.

We love our GLK, but we will move on once our MB extended and the emission warranties expire, or sooner. Just too much to go wrong on new cars (not just MBs)
I like the car, but I'm realistic : there is always a chance of something going wrong with technologically-fancy cars.

I used to have BMWs, and their cooling system was known to be am Achille's heel. Never happened to be, but still.

I'm knocking on wood.

For now, I like the overall design, comforts and sophistication level in the vehicle, and the fuel economy is impressive. I also live in Quebec city where winter is unbelievably harsh, yet MB sells tons of diesel GLKs here. I can only hope that this doesn't turn out to be a huge problem.

If this one turns out to be a disaster on wheels, I'll move on to other pastures in due time.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Finally got this problem today. We're still within warranty, just barely (77,200 km).

Has anyone successfully been able to reset the ECU to get rid of the 10 restart warning? We're supposed to drive this vehicle out of town this weekend and of course the dealer can't look at it until Monday.
The following 2 users liked this post by koalatm:
HONDO250 (07-22-2016), KyKen (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Is the BlueDEF actually low? You may just need a gallon of the BlueDEF.

Is the check engine light "on" (orange)? Then you may need to see the dealer. It takes their ECU Scan tool to diagnose that. Most auto repair shops can read the diagnostice code in the ECU to see if there is actually an NOx sensor failure, but they won't reset the Check engine light or the 10 start warning.

Some of the scan tools on line can reset it but that won't help for the weekend. Sorry.
HONDO250 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
I just had it serviced last week and they say they "topped off" the DEF, but this apparently doesn't seem the case. I added 9 litres of AdBlue and the 10 restart message went away.

I had 3 CEL codes, 1 of which went away with the restart issue... I cleared the remaining codes myself, will see how it goes over the weekend.

Also, I did find a way to circumvent the 10 restart message, but since the message went away I didn't get a chance to actually try it out:

KyKen (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 PM

Sweet! Great Share!

I hope the dealer didn't charge you for the fake "ADBlue top off". That can be up to $15/USGal plus labor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning