GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 - 2014
Does anyone know if these issues are occurring just in the USA or in all areas where car is being shipped? Are the same cars being retrofit here to meet US air quality standards (that may be more stringent than in other countries)?

The dealer and techs are not talking...social media (this site) is the only place that I have found that I can read about these issues. I am not sure if the issue is just specific to this car and the new twin turbo diesel engine, mb diesels in general or additional add-ons made in the USA during prep.

Please post any known information when fix is found. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by lolagirl
Does anyone know if these issues are occurring just in the USA or in all areas where car is being shipped? Are the same cars being retrofit here to meet US air quality standards (that may be more stringent than in other countries)?

The dealer and techs are not talking...social media (this site) is the only place that I have found that I can read about these issues. I am not sure if the issue is just specific to this car and the new twin turbo diesel engine, mb diesels in general or additional add-ons made in the USA during prep.

Please post any known information when fix is found. Thanks.
I've drove in Germany 600 miles without any issues. Here in US nothing to say so far ( just additional 100 miles) - but car behave without issues.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
Edit: Ooops realized it was for 2014's ... Sorry

Originally Posted by lolagirl
Does anyone know if these issues are occurring just in the USA or in all areas where car is being shipped? ... .
I have a Canadian spec 2013 ... no problems after 3 months and 25,000 km. They topped up the Blue at 15,000 km during the Schedule A maintenance.

Last edited by fcch; 10-17-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 PM

GLK250
My 2014 GLK250 (2800km) Check Engine Light came on at the beginning of this week. Phone the dealer. Got the question about recently refueling. Yes. But already down 1/4 tank (250km) before light came on. They suggested I open the filler cap and wait a minute and then replace it and after that the light should go off after a number of hours driving above 40km/hr.
So now it's Thursday. Light still on. No change. Appointment with service department is on Monday. Ironically, we're going to the MB New Owners Event at the dealership this evening. Wondering if I should arrive in my wife's Audi.
The following users liked this post:
ACG2 (02-07-2020)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 PM

2014 GLK Bluetec
Exclamation

Originally Posted by wshang
I bought a new 2014 GLK 250 bluetec last week and encountered the following problem before filling up first tank of diesel:
AdBlue warning light came on with Starts Remaining: 4. I brought it in to the dealer and they said there was some computer problem which has been fixed but kept it overnight to test it out more. Anyone else experienced this problem?

BTW, the "Starts Remaining" keeps going down after each start until 0. This is my first bluetec - didn't realize there would be these additional hassles.

-William
Exactly the same problem after just one week. Disappointing at best, and working on a solution.
PMAC
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Originally Posted by jcdammeyer
My 2014 GLK250 (2800km) Check Engine Light came on at the beginning of this week. Phone the dealer. Got the question about recently refueling. Yes. But already down 1/4 tank (250km) before light came on. They suggested I open the filler cap and wait a minute and then replace it and after that the light should go off after a number of hours driving above 40km/hr.
So now it's Thursday. Light still on. No change. Appointment with service department is on Monday. Ironically, we're going to the MB New Owners Event at the dealership this evening. Wondering if I should arrive in my wife's Audi.
Take the AudiMaybe it will get your car fixed quicker!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 PM

2014 GLK Bluetec
Originally Posted by mike-nc
Take the AudiMaybe it will get your car fixed quicker!
No, take "my" wife's Audi, and you can deliver a "message" for both of us !
Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 AM

GLK250 - 2014
I visited the dealer yesterday to discuss the problem after they left a message that new software is being developed to fix the problem and won't be ready until the end of the month! Right now, the clock is ticking and the car has been in the shop for a longer time than I actually got a chance to drive it!

In my discussion yesterday, I was told that the pollution control/exhaust requirements are very stringent here in the US. Apparently US systems are different and they set up the warning system software to identify changes from US established limits. MB is rewriting the software - but it has to pass NTSB (National Transportation and Safety Board) testing before it is released.

I am not sure that I have correctly described all of the details...but the fix seems to be something similar to what I have stated.

If you are having similar problems...I urge you to "push" the dealer a bit to move the fix from the software fix pipeline to "top priority". Why would MB release the new system without adequate testing? How many of you have been inconvenienced? Make your concerns known.

I still think the diesel concept is a good path....it just might not be ready for prime time. P.S. I traded in my Audi All Road for this - ugh)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM

GLK250
At the MB New Owners Event last night I mentioned that I had arrived in my GLK250 with the Check Engine Light On. I also mentioned I had an appointment on Monday if the light hadn't gone off yet. When asked I was told there was a fix for the light being on. We'll find out next week I guess. Mine is still drivable so other than being annoying I'm not too worried.

I also mentioned that I thought it was odd that with such a sophisticated vehicle that can track tire pressure and stay between the lane markings that it won't report the details as to why the light is on. They said that most people would probably be more worried with detailed information or else ignore it completely if they knew why the light was on.

What is also interesting is the fact sheet they handed out last night. I must admit I didn't read my owners manual closely about diesel fuel grades. The fuel must be ULTRA-LOW SULFER DIESEL FUEL (ULSD) with 15 ppm max sulfur content.

Biodiesel must be of the B5 type and the label on the pump must say that and that the ULSD standard has been fulfilled.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM

2014 GLK Bluetec
I am totally on the same page as "Lola", JCDam" and "Mike", and I am taking action based on their observations and comments. So, rather than get into a game of "musical chairs", I am leaving the GLK with my dealer next week, and leaving town for three weeks to do things with a "higher entertainment value". That will get me well beyond the end of the month, with time to spare for MB to find a solution. Good luck to us all ! "Light on in Canada"
Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM

2014 GLK Blutec
Are all 250 Blutecs going to exhibit this problem eventually? If it is software, why do some have 10-20000 miles on them with no problem? Are 2013's different than 2014 in regard to this system?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM

GLK250
Just a reminder. I don't have the ADBLUE warning. Just the check engine light at about 250km into a full tank fueled a few days before. So far the ADBLUE message has not appeared. These may be two totally different issues but without knowing why the light went on it's hard to comment past this.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM

TTRS GLK250BT S1000RR FJR1300
Well some of you have pinged me for information/update. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I wanted to give it at least a week before I declared the battle won...or in this case lost. CEL came on Wednesday evening, and the remaining starts count down started on the way to the dealer this morning. Oh well...dealer has been instructed to change a sensor and update software...will have to wait until early next week to see the results.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM

2013 GLK250BT
2014 GLK250BT

I've been following this with interest. Am I correct that the CEL and AdBlue countdown issues are all with the 2014 models?

If so, what is the necessity of reprogramming the emission controls for 2014 vs. 2013? I'm not aware of a new standard/limitation for emissions that went into play for the 2014 model year. So, why the change?

If this is not resolved by the 10K service for my 2013, I will refuse all software updates, just in case the "bad" program is floating around waiting to infect.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by mike-nc
If this is not resolved by the 10K service for my 2013, I will refuse all software updates, just in case the "bad" program is floating around waiting to infect.
Can software updates be declined without affecting warranty?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by bugelrex
Can software updates be declined without affecting warranty?
What follows is true for the US market. I will not attempt to speak for other countries.

Action or inaction on your part can not render an entire warranty null and void. To deny warranty coverage for a specific problem, they have to prove that you caused the problem by doing something that you shouldn't have done or by not doing something that you should have done.

In simple but exaggerated terms, if they find a software defect that might cause the engine to explode and they issue a software update to fix that defect so that your engine doesn't blow up, your refusal to accept that update would cause your engine to not be covered if it blows up due to said defect. Your refusal to accept the engine software update would not, however, cause warranty work to be denied for, say, a brake problem that had nothing to do with the software update.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Thanks so much, I write software for a living and can tell you the more you change the code, the more likely bugs get introduced.

The fact that its software related and happening so soon after 2014 release should give you an indication of the quality of code (especially since 2013 didn't have the issue). Its as if the engineers were given updated US spec parameters at the very last minute and just plugged it into code without testing it against an actual vehicle.

Originally Posted by balticgreen
What follows is true for the US market. I will not attempt to speak for other countries.

Action or inaction on your part can not render an entire warranty null and void. To deny warranty coverage for a specific problem, they have to prove that you caused the problem by doing something that you shouldn't have done or by not doing something that you should have done.

In simple but exaggerated terms, if they find a software defect that might cause the engine to explode and they issue a software update to fix that defect so that your engine doesn't blow up, your refusal to accept that update would cause your engine to not be covered if it blows up due to said defect. Your refusal to accept the engine software update would not, however, cause warranty work to be denied for, say, a brake problem that had nothing to do with the software update.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 PM

2014 C350 4M Sedan , 2014 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by jcdammeyer

What is also interesting is the fact sheet they handed out last night. I must admit I didn't read my owners manual closely about diesel fuel grades. The fuel must be ULTRA-LOW SULFER DIESEL FUEL (ULSD) with 15 ppm max sulfur content.

Biodiesel must be of the B5 type and the label on the pump must say that and that the ULSD standard has been fulfilled.
ULSD is the new standard since 2006. Using LSD (Low sulfur diesel) with 500 ppm on your vehicle will kill the diesel particulate filter. Emission changes since 2007 required ULSD. VW did not sell diesel for north America during that period. I am not sure but I think they returned in 2009 or 2010. Only MB diesels were sold at that time but not sold in CARB states. Those carry a CDI badge vs bluetec and were pre ad-blue. I was driving a 2006 VW TDI at that time and followed diesel development closely. I am not sure if refineries still produce LSD today for North America. I have been out of touch since I traded the TDI in 2010. Back then LSD pumps have a warning sticker stating not to be used for model year 2007 and up.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 AM

2013 E350 4M Wagon & 2013 C350 4M Sedan
We are having the same issue with our Canadian 2014 glk250. Vehicle has 6000kms and it has so far happened twice.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:56 AM

GLK250
Check Engine Light On

Originally Posted by Mtl20v
We are having the same issue with our Canadian 2014 glk250. Vehicle has 6000kms and it has so far happened twice.
Is your issue just the CEL ON or also the ADBLUE with 10 starts remaining?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by bugelrex
Thanks so much, I write software for a living and can tell you the more you change the code, the more likely bugs get introduced.
I am familiar. I wrote software before I moved to production problem management. Now, this is exactly the type of problem that would land on my desk. I don't work for Mercedes-Benz, though, so I can't do anything about this.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
What happens when you run out of Starts? Anyone got to that point?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Have 2200 miles on the wife's GLK without any lights. Our drive is up a hill and we park with the front axle above the rear axle. How are you all parking your cars? I wonder if it may affect how the fluids contact any sensors in the tanks.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM

glk 250
same issue here with my 2014 glk less then 1000 miles
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM

GLK250
So today was Service day at my MB dealer. Arrived with doggies in the back of the GLK fully expecting they'd take the car in right away and check the light, upload new software and I'd be on my way.
Instead, and in hind sight perfectly normal, they asked if I needed a cab ride home and what time I'd like to pick it up.
Oops.
After explaining I was with dogs and that I'd then have to make a different date appointment the service guy immediately suggested that I give him a few minutes to pull the GLK into the shop and at least check the codes.
Fifteen minutes later after a lap around the block with the dogs the GLK was still in the shop and the service guy and several mechanics were studying the screen of the PC connected to the vehicle. THen they walked around to the front and opened the hood.
I called over (customers not normally allowed in the shop) and asked if it was serious.
He replied that I should come over and have a look.
Sensor cable nicely chewed almost completely through by a rodent or some sort of woodland creature.
They grabbed their crimp tools, told me to wander around for a while and they'd have it fixed right away.
Once again, I came back and the GLK was still in the shop. Hmmm. What now? This time the delay was due to the wait for getting it washed and the interior vacuumed out.
More walking around. Doggies were tired by now. So was I.
Came back. GLK was dripping wet and clean.
I asked the service guy for the invoice since this was clearly not a warranty issue.
No charge.
On these types of forums people always report and ***** about a problem and then we never get a final report on whether the problem was solved or if there were any issues.
So my report is that the problem is solved. That the Victoria, BC Benz dealer was simply awesome both in support, service and just giving me a general sense of well being.
And the check engine light is off!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning