GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Questions Regarding 2014 GLK250 Factory Order, Delivery, Etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by BigBoeing
If you'd like to track (dare I say "micromanage") your GLK's shipboard odyssey aboard Torrens you can do it at this site:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/232248000

Barring a for-fee 24/7 satellite tracking membership, this site will automatically update the ship's movement again once it approaches landfall on the eastern seaboard. You can also sign-up for free e-mail "IN-RANGE," "PORT ARRIVAL" and "PORT DEPARTURE" updates.

Under the category of "interesting stuff," the RO-RO vessel that delivered our GLK250 departed Baltimore and has subsequently made port visits at Jacksonville, Houston, steamed through the Panama Canal and has visited several South American ports as she's steamed south down the Pacific coast. Quite an adventure!

Best Regards,
Jim
Thanks for the information. I have ben tracking my car and it is now 6 days away from Baltimore on the Atlantic Ocean. Can't wait to finally get it.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 GLK250 BT, '11 BMW 335d
Very Helpful Thread

New member here, returning to the M-B family after a seven-year hiatus (last Benz was a 1990 300D 2.5 Turbo). Just wanted to say hello and comment about how very helpful this particular thread has been as we await production and shipment of a 2014 GLK250 BT. In case you're interested, it's black on black on black (exterior/MB Tex/wood trim) with Premium 1, Multimedia, and Lighting packages; trailer hitch; heated seats, harman/kardon sound; and Keyless GO.

After going back and forth between the GLK and Audi Q5 TDI to replace our Jetta SportWagen TDI, we settled on the GLK. However, we were unable to locate a suitable one in dealer stock anywhere, so our very helpful dealer at M-B of Richmond located a production slot with the right vehicle and worked out a trade for it with another dealer. Production is to start tomorrow.

Thanks to this thread, we now feel like we have a pretty good idea of what to expect and what questions to ask our dealer over the next month!

Cheers,
Jay
Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 PM

2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by JayA
New member here, returning to the M-B family after a seven-year hiatus (last Benz was a 1990 300D 2.5 Turbo). Just wanted to say hello and comment about how very helpful this particular thread has been as we await production and shipment of a 2014 GLK250 BT. In case you're interested, it's black on black on black (exterior/MB Tex/wood trim) with Premium 1, Multimedia, and Lighting packages; trailer hitch; heated seats, harman/kardon sound; and Keyless GO.

After going back and forth between the GLK and Audi Q5 TDI to replace our Jetta SportWagen TDI, we settled on the GLK. However, we were unable to locate a suitable one in dealer stock anywhere, so our very helpful dealer at M-B of Richmond located a production slot with the right vehicle and worked out a trade for it with another dealer. Production is to start tomorrow.

Thanks to this thread, we now feel like we have a pretty good idea of what to expect and what questions to ask our dealer over the next month!

Cheers,
Jay
The car is worth the wait and you get it exactly the way you want. The Harmon Kardon system is amazing and keyless go is so easy to use. I came out of an A3 TDI and the GLK 250 is years ahead of it in every way. I had my car 4 weeks after production date.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 AM

'14 GLK250
Just wanted to say hello and comment about how very helpful this particular thread has been as we await production and shipment of a 2014 GLK250 BT. In case you're interested, it's black on black on black (exterior/MB Tex/wood trim) with Premium 1, Multimedia, and Lighting packages; trailer hitch; heated seats, harman/kardon sound; and Keyless GO.
Good taste - I have almost the same vehicle (no hitch, and steel grey metallic) on the way - should hopefully get here this coming week. Like you, the Q5 was the other major contender.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by drumminj
Good taste - I have almost the same vehicle (no hitch, and steel grey metallic) on the way - should hopefully get here this coming week. Like you, the Q5 was the other major contender.
Congrats, drumminj! Our original first color choice was Lunar Blue, with Steel Grey a close second. However, we changed our minds and reversed them. Our dealer found a suitable Steel Grey model at another dealership, but it sold between the time we learned about it and stopped by our dealership to put down a deposit. That's when black entered the picture as an option.

There was a Black one with Black MB Tex and Black Ash wood trim at the VPC in Baltimore bound for a dealership in suburban Cincinnati. It had some additional options on it that we did not necessarily care about (Sport Package, heated steering wheel), but was otherwise the right vehicle. However, the Cincinnati dealership would not let it go. Our dealer then found a nearly identical GLK (minus the Sport Package and heated steering wheel) set for production today and negotiated a swap with the dealership that had the production slot.

It was too late to make a color change to Steel Grey, but we're pretty excited about the all-black one. Trying to find these GLK BlueTECs in dealer stock with the right color combination with the right options has been an adventure! If things had not worked out with the black GLK, I think we would have ordered the exact car we wanted in Steel Grey.

Jay
Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Eyesncars
The car is worth the wait and you get it exactly the way you want. The Harmon Kardon system is amazing and keyless go is so easy to use. I came out of an A3 TDI and the GLK 250 is years ahead of it in every way. I had my car 4 weeks after production date.
Hi Eyesncars,

We had considered an A3 TDI some years back, but there wasn't enough room in the cargo area for our two Labs and so we went with the larger Jetta SportWagen TDI. It's a really great car, but we find ourselves now wanting something with AWD and the capability of towing a trailer with one or two motorcycles. It's funny how the Jetta TDI wagon was the only real option for us at the time (German diesel wagon or SUV) and now we have the GLK BT, Q5 TDI, and BMW 328d SportWagen and X3 28d from which to choose.

The GLK diesel won us over. We were on the fence about the harman kardon sound system, but I am glad that we are getting it now. And the Keyless Go will be nice to have too since our other car is a BMW 335d with the Comfort Access keyless set-up. I often find myself leaving my VW key in my pocket and wondering why the car won't unlock when I touch the door handle!

Jay
Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM

honda accord
Euro delivery holdups!

Originally Posted by johnrei
Hi all
I finally made the plunge too last October 07 and custom ordered a 2014 GLK250 Diesel with several options . I already have a 2005 SLk 350 for the summer and use my 2000 ML320 for the cold winter months here in Winnipeg ,Canada.
I ordered the vehicle with the following options from the only MB dealer here in town. MSRP Options:
MPP- Premium package $ 3600 MET Canansite Blue metallic paint $890
AMG Appearance AMG Sort Package 20”wheels $1100
MNP Command Navigation Package DVD $2500
Trailer Package $675 Parking package Lighting Package
Chrome package
I was able to negotiate a bit of the MSRP but I’m not entirely satisfied happy with the deal and expect the dealer to compensate me for this long delay.
Originally I gave thought to purchasing it from the states but it seems to be somewhat complicated and the packages are different. Prices here are about $5000.00 more and with the Canadian Dollar going down I ordered it here .
It was suppose to arrive in early December but instead the salesman called explaining production problems in Bremen so it looks more like early February.
Looking up the German MB website in Bremen it tells me they added extra production shifts to fulfill the high demands for the C and GLK models

I’d appreciate it if anybody has had a similar experience with the custom ordering GLK250
Next time I will take advantage of the European delivery system.
Thanks again to all the people who've posted here-great website .

Best regards -Thanks,
John
Hi John, did you get your GLK?

We ordered our's Feb 15th for European Delivery pick up May 2nd. Found out from the dealership (Ontario) last week that they have put a freeze on orders until July. Not happy customers at all that it took them over 3 weeks to tell us this. Thank God I hadn't booked our flights yet!
Dealer tried to locate us a car already in production close to what we want for pick up in May but so far no luck.
We have some questions that haven't been answered yet.
1/ Is the vehicle changing for 2015, we don't like the new style they are going too as much preferring the more boxy lines of the current model so want to stay with the 2014 if the style is changing on 2015 model.
2/ We heard production of GLK is moving to US, obviously that would mean no ED. Don't know when this will take place. Trying to decide whether to change to Sept 2014 or May 2015 for ED if another GLK cant be located for May 2014. Hubby is going into dealership tonight and hopefully will get some of our questions answered.
Hopefully you got your car in the end and everything turned out ok?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Update

Just wanted to say hello and comment about how very helpful this particular thread has been as we await production and shipment of a 2014 GLK250 BT.
This is my first brand new Mercedes-Benz (our previous six were all purchased used) and the first time I have ordered a vehicle new from the factory. Since this thread has been so helpful to me in learning what to expect in the production and delivery process, I thought that it might be helpful to others to keep it updated with my own experience.

Our 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC went into production during the second decade of March and, according to the dealer, was being painted as of March 13. On March 24, its status showed "produced, not shipped." On March 28, it departed the port in Bremerhaven, Germany aboard the "Integrity," a US-flagged RORO vessel and sailed to Southampton, England, where the ship presumably took on an assortment of MINIs, Jaguars, and, perhaps a few Rolls Royces. According to marine traffic.com, the Integrity's last reported position was off the coast of Ireland on the evening of April 3 with an ETA in Baltimore of April 12.

Based on what I have learned in this forum, I am guessing that we might be able to pick up the car from our dealer in Richmond (Va.) around the end of next week.

Jay
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM

At the VPC

Here is another update on our vehicle, for posterity and whatever it might be worth to someone else who is curious about the production and shipment of a new Mercedes-Benz from Bremen to the east coast of the US. The RO-RO vessel Integrity bearing our GLK250 BlueTEC arrived in Baltimore at 5:03 a.m. on Sunday, April 13. Based on previous posts in this thread, I assumed that the ship would have entered the Delaware River, crossed the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal to the Chesapeake Bay, and then steamed south to Baltimore. However, it entered the Chesapeake Bay at Hampton Roads, Virginia and traveled north.

No word from our dealer yet, but I am still hopeful that we might get to pick our new car up in Richmond at the end of this week.

Jay
Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM

2014 Glk250 BlueTec
[QUOTE=JayA;6009294]Here is another update on our vehicle, for posterity and whatever it might be worth to someone else who is curious about the production and shipment of a new Mercedes-Benz from Bremen to the east coast of the US. The RO-RO vessel Integrity bearing our GLK250 BlueTEC arrived in Baltimore at 5:03 a.m. on Sunday, April 13. Based on previous posts in this thread, I assumed that the ship would have entered the Delaware River, crossed the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal to the Chesapeake Bay, and then steamed south to Baltimore. However, it entered the Chesapeake Bay at Hampton Roads, Virginia and traveled north.

No word from our dealer yet, but I am still hopeful that we might get to pick our new car up in Richmond at the end of this week.

All I can say is be patient. My car sat at the VPC in Baltimore for about 10 days and then arrived at my New York dealer 3 days later. There was also a lot of snow in February which could have held up the release of the car. All in all, it was well worth the wait. The GLK250 BlueTec is amazing.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I've been through the D & C canal and doubt that anything the size of the car carrier could get through it. I think it is for us small guys and fuel barges as part of the I C W. Surprised they don't bring them into NJ.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eyesncars
All I can say is be patient....
Once you know that your GLK has rolled out of the factory in Germany, it just can't get here fast enough, right? What's worse is knowing that it is now in Baltimore, just a three-hour truck trip away from our dealer in Virginia. Oh well, any day now.

Originally Posted by bop11
I've been through the D & C canal and doubt that anything the size of the car carrier could get through it. I think it is for us small guys and fuel barges as part of the I C W. Surprised they don't bring them into NJ.
Check out post #98 in this thread by the original poster who tracked his GLK all the way from Bremerhaven to Baltimore. He wrote that, to his surprise, the ship bearing his vehicle arrived via the Delaware River and the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that his ship stopped at the VW/Audi VPC in Rhode Island before continuing down the eastern seaboard to Baltimore. As near as I can tell, mine sailed straight to Baltimore after leaving the UK.

Jay
Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Closure

Once you know that your GLK has rolled out of the factory in Germany, it just can't get here fast enough, right? What's worse is knowing that it is now in Baltimore, just a three-hour truck trip away from our dealer in Virginia. Oh well, any day now. Jay
To bring closure to this story, our client advisor called me Monday morning (April 21) to say that our GLK had arrived and we picked it up that evening. This being pollen season (and our GLK being black), we were grateful that they kept it in the showroom until we arrived. Attached is a not-so-great photo of us with our GLK shortly before we left the dealership.

I spent most of the 70-mile trip home trying to figure out all the controls, particularly the COMAND system (our other vehicle is a BMW 335d with iDrive and there are helpful similarities and frustrating differences between the two). I obviously need some serious quality time with the manuals, but this vehicle seems to be everything I hoped it would be.

It was definitely worth the wait!

Cheers,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails Questions Regarding 2014 GLK250 Factory Order, Delivery, Etc.-glk_lg.jpg