GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Fuel filling issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK 350
Fuel filling issues

Does anyone else here have problems filling their GLK's? I have a 2013 and when the tank is empty, during fill-up the fuel nozzle will click as if the tank is full, the ENTIRE time I'm trying to fill it. This is annoying for two reasons, I can't find a rhyme or reason for it, I've recorded it at several different gas stations doing the same thing so I don't think its a nozzle issue. Secondly if the pump stops and clicks off instantly (and repeatedly) the ENTIRE time I'm trying to fill, it will literally take me 15 mins to pump gas. By the time it really is full, I will never know until it actually overflows out of the tank spilling gas everywhere, which will eventually cause other issues from topping it off. My dealer thinks its a pump issue and not their problem. Have any of you guys experienced this? One time I was able to twist the nozzle around and it worked but I had to hold it cockeyed sideways until it was done filling the tank. It also doesn't always happen, and it certainly doesn't happen on any of my other cars. Anyone else have this problem, if so what was the issue and how did you get your dealer to repair it?

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 12-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Never had an issue like you describe. I would record with your phone at a few different stations and go to the dealer with the video.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
When I had a similar problem on a SUV (not Mercedes,) a breather tube running with the fill tube, was blocked. Wouldn't let the air evacuate from the tank, gas backed up and off went the nozzle. Don't know exactly how this setup is in a gasser but I fixed the problem very simply by putting air pressure to the breathe tube. Warranty should take care of it for you but you might save yourself the hassle if you have an air compressor.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM

2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by kozak79
Never had an issue like you describe. I would record with your phone at a few different stations and go to the dealer with the video.
I actually did record it and they didn't even look at the videos! They want me to go back and test it on their gas pump when my tank is empty which I will this afternoon, but I assume it's probably going to work PERFECT for any Mercedes Benz since it's their pump. All my other cars work fine, no matter what pump or station. I have a feeling that they are going to say "we can't be to blame for all these different brands and styles of gas pumps, look ours works just fine".

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 12-30-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:02 PM

2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Bob338
When I had a similar problem on a SUV (not Mercedes,) a breather tube running with the fill tube, was blocked. Wouldn't let the air evacuate from the tank, gas backed up and off went the nozzle. Don't know exactly how this setup is in a gasser but I fixed the problem very simply by putting air pressure to the breathe tube. Warranty should take care of it for you but you might save yourself the hassle if you have an air compressor.
Bob, thanks for the suggestion I'm going to try that if they don't do anything for me today. Based on our previous conversation I'm under the impression that they are convinced it's the gas pumps and not the car...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM

2013 GLK 350
OK so heres the update. I have talked to the dealer today, they tried to replicate it on their pump. No issue. They took it to a chevron across the street from the dealer, no issue. Here are a few videos I took showing the exact problem I'm having. After leaving the dealer today I've brought the car back to the SAME exact gas stations and same exact pump numbers that I used when I recorded videos of the car having issues filling fuel before, and had the issue again at one gas station today, but not at the other. Same exact pumps where BOTH had issues, today I had issues at one of them. Check out the video and descriptions and tell me what you guys think....In my opinion it CAN'T be a pump issue, this happens at ALL different gas stations, with no consistency as to when its going to happen. Also, I fill up my other vehicles at these exact same stations all the time, and even at the same pumps, with no issue whatsoever.

This is a video of my 2013 Mercedes GLK 350 that has problems when trying to fuel up the vehicle. This is at a Chevron in Surprise Arizona, at Pump #4 on December 17th, 2013.

This is a video of my 2013 Mercedes GLK 350 that has problems when trying to fuel up the vehicle. This is at a Chevron in Surprise Arizona, at Pump #4 on 12/30/13. I had issues at this very same Chevron (can be viewed on video #1) at the very same pump #4 on 12/17/13, but it now fills without issue. The temperature is different, the time of day is different, the amount of fuel in the tank is more now (the first time the tank was almost to the empty line, now its over 3/4 full), and its working fine. Pump is the same, chevron employees claim it wasn't replaced or repaired.

This is a video of my 2013 Mercedes GLK 350 that has problems when trying to fuel up the vehicle. This is at a Valero gas station in Surprise Arizona, at Pump #7 on 12/23/13

This is a video of my 2013 Mercedes GLK 350 that has problems when trying to fuel up the vehicle. This is at a Valero gas station in Surprise Arizona, at Pump #7 on 12/30/13. I had issues at this very same Valero (can be viewed on video #2) at the very same pump #7 on 12/23/13, and it still has issues filling. The temperature is different, the time of day is different, the amount of fuel in the tank is more now (the first time the tank was almost to the empty line, now its over 1/2 full), and its not working again.

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 12-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 PM

2013 GLK 350
I told the dealer that it is extremely difficult to perfectly replicate the exact time of day, the exact amount of fuel, the exact gas station, the exact pump, the exact temperature outside, the exact driving conditions prior to filling, to find an accurate rhyme or a reason as to when or why it happens. Based on the fact that even using the exact same pump doesn't always yield the same results, I can't accept the fact that its a pump issue, or that pump would have issues on my other cars, or it would at least occur every time I use that same pump on the mercedes.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
I had the same issue when my glk was new. What I found to work at the time was rotating the pump like 20-30 degrees from vertical. For some reason that seemed to keep it from clicking off.

To be honest after the first few months I haven't seen it again. So I can't really tell you why it was doing it.

But you're right when it happened it was really annoying.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:32 PM

2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by iewoals
I had the same issue when my glk was new. What I found to work at the time was rotating the pump like 20-30 degrees from vertical. For some reason that seemed to keep it from clicking off.

To be honest after the first few months I haven't seen it again. So I can't really tell you why it was doing it.

But you're right when it happened it was really annoying.
I've tried to rotate it before, as well as a bunch of other maneuvers but no luck! I've tried to find a rhyme or reason for it but can't pinpoint it to a certain station or style of pump because it happens at different gas stations, and then at the same gas station and pump where it once had issues, it works fine at other times. It's driving me crazy!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I have a similar problem with the pump constantly clicking off. I found that when I pushed the nozzle up and held it there it would work fine. Let me know if you come up with the more permanent solution.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Since I live in NJ I don't get to fill my tank and the gas station guys never have issues.

Yesterday I was in NY and had similar issue. What helped is not squeezing the handle all the way up. Hard enough for gas to start flowing but not all the way.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 PM

I have had the exact same problem on my 2014 GLK350. I have not been able to determine the cause but please update if you find the answer.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM

2011 GLK 350 4matic
I put the gas nozzle fully into gas tank and then back it out 1 inch before squeezing the trigger. This seems to avoid sudden stop of flow of fuel for me.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM

2013 GLK 350
I've attempted it multiple different ways and maneuvered the nozzle without any luck. Again it doesn't happen every time, but it happens often enough that it irritated me to the point where it needs to be addressed. I've had gas pour all over the side of the car one too many times because when it clicks the entire time you're filling, you never know when its truly full until it pours all over the side of the car. When it does happen, theres no maneuvering or anything that will make it work right.

If you guys have similar issues, you must make your dealer aware of it. The reason they aren't addressing problems like these is because there was only 1 other complaint about this in the US and the dealer couldn't replicate it and sent them on their way. If you guys bring it to your dealers attention, they will start to see this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I've had many cars, and never had a single one with fueling issues. If my corvette or any of my other cars don't need special maneuvering (wish the maneuvering at least worked on mine, only did once) why would my 60k dollar brand new GLK require such effort? In the cold of winter & in the heat of summer, it would mean that you have to hold the nozzle at a specific angle constantly without the option of ever leaving it to fill automatically. Thats crazy!! Realistically none of your cars should require any random positioning of the nozzle to get it to pump correctly, as none of my others do (even using the same exact pump at the same exact station), its a design flaw....

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 01-13-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 AM

Glk350
This happens to me all too often! Just picked my car up today but the technician was not able to duplicate the issue even though he went to 4 different gas stations. I will be capturing it on video soon. It's so irritating to have to stand there while it keeps popping off. Please let me know if you've heard of a solution yet. Thanks!

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Does anyone else here have problems filling their GLK's? I have a 2013 and when the tank is empty, during fill-up the fuel nozzle will click as if the tank is full, the ENTIRE time I'm trying to fill it. This is annoying for two reasons, I can't find a rhyme or reason for it, I've recorded it at several different gas stations doing the same thing so I don't think its a nozzle issue. Secondly if the pump stops and clicks off instantly (and repeatedly) the ENTIRE time I'm trying to fill, it will literally take me 15 mins to pump gas. By the time it really is full, I will never know until it actually overflows out of the tank spilling gas everywhere, which will eventually cause other issues from topping it off. My dealer thinks its a pump issue and not their problem. Have any of you guys experienced this? One time I was able to twist the nozzle around and it worked but I had to hold it cockeyed sideways until it was done filling the tank. It also doesn't always happen, and it certainly doesn't happen on any of my other cars. Anyone else have this problem, if so what was the issue and how did you get your dealer to repair it?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I have had this issue w/ my CLK55 for many years. It is the volume of gas that is filling the tank that triggers this issue...especially when on empty. As the gas is filling full tilt, the rush of air back up the fill tube triggers the automatic shutoff. I find that if you just squeeze the handle half way, it does not shut off.....not as much gas = not as much air coming back up. Also, I don't totally seat the rubber cup on the nozzle which allows the air to escape easily. As the tank fills beyond half full I can sqeeze the trigger the whole way.
Remember that it's the gas stations' equipment that is being triggered. Something is triggering the nozzle....either gas splashing back up the fill tube or air.

Last edited by cindyclk; 01-16-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM

350 GLK, C280
If people don't fit the rubber tight to the filler, than they are defeating the vapor recovery system. Isn't technology wonderful to not fully think the problem and have the solution create a second problem that not only negates the first solution but creates a secondary problem.
Don't get me wrong, I've liked the smell of gas for 60 years but I hate paying for equipment (yes it is in the price of the gas) that does absolutely nothing becasue it is not useable.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM

2013 GLK 350
Do you guys think it has something to do with the Healy brand of vapor guards that are on the pumps? It seems like the Healy ones are spring loaded, maybe that style of pump vapor guard doesn't work well with our cars? Unfortunately who does that fall on, Mercedes for having a car that is picky about which pump it can use or the gas stations for installing vapor guards that don't work well with our cars?

I HONESTLY am still having a hard time blaming the vapor guard or the pump because I've used other stations that have the same brand of vapor guard and it worked fine. Sometimes even the same pump that gave me issues one day, won't the next time I try it? But the dealer is convinced it's the vapor guard that's the issue on these pumps.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM

2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by cindyclk
I have had this issue w/ my CLK55 for many years. It is the volume of gas that is filling the tank that triggers this issue...especially when on empty. As the gas is filling full tilt, the rush of air back up the fill tube triggers the automatic shutoff. I find that if you just squeeze the handle half way, it does not shut off.....not as much gas = not as much air coming back up. Also, I don't totally seat the rubber cup on the nozzle which allows the air to escape easily. As the tank fills beyond half full I can sqeeze the trigger the whole way.
Remember that it's the gas stations' equipment that is being triggered. Something is triggering the nozzle....either gas splashing back up the fill tube or air.
I've attempted to pull the trigger on the lightest setting possible and it will click off. I wouldn't mind if it worked on the slowest setting, but it won't work for mine, I've tried it multiple ways every time it happens
Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Do you guys think it has something to do with the Healy brand of vapor guards that are on the pumps? It seems like the Healy ones are spring loaded, maybe that style of pump vapor guard doesn't work well with our cars? Unfortunately who does that fall on, Mercedes for having a car that is picky about which pump it can use or the gas stations for installing vapor guards that don't work well with our cars?

I HONESTLY am still having a hard time blaming the vapor guard or the pump because I've used other stations that have the same brand of vapor guard and it worked fine. Sometimes even the same pump that gave me issues one day, won't the next time I try it? But the dealer is convinced it's the vapor guard that's the issue on these pumps.
If the spring loaded vapor guards have gasoline fowling the recovery system, it will cause this problem...chronic problem w/ people topping off their tanks..gas gets pulled into mechanism. That's why signs usually say don't top off.

All of these vapor recovery units are no longer are being put onto new pumps. EPA says not necessary w/ new vapor recovery systems of new cars.
Saying that, I'm not sure why you are having this issue and others not. I would ask to go w/MB when they try to recreate your problem. They might be holding pump at a different angle etc than you are.
It is the pump causing it to stop.....either too much air escaping up tube, splashing of gas back up tube, or soaked vapor recovery of pump handle.

Last edited by cindyclk; 01-16-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I remember I have had this issue before but since the car gets older and the gas station updated their pumps, I haven't had this issue since.
BTW, the the gas station is "SHELL".
Good luck.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM

2010 glk
Originally Posted by rshew
I put the gas nozzle fully into gas tank and then back it out 1 inch before squeezing the trigger. This seems to avoid sudden stop of flow of fuel for me.
I do the same it works for me or not holding the lever on full abour 3/4s
Old 01-18-2014, 12:11 PM

2014 GLK 350 4Matic
Sorry to see this problem on your car. I have 2014 GLK 350 and never had this problem. But so far all my fuel was done at Shell with only one exception at ExxonMobil. No problem with their nozzle
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 AM

GLK
I've been having the same issue with a 2012 GLK. Dealer replaced the charcoal canister and gas tank a few months ago which led to a slight temporary improvement. Unfortunately it started acting up again. Dealer was able to replicate and has had the car for about a week. They replaced the canister again which did not help. Any updates on your car?

Last edited by Jaguarbank; 01-20-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 PM

2006 sl 65
I'm having this problem on my 2012 C250. Most of the time the gas pump will continuously shut off and the handle needs to be held at the slowest possible flow to even get fuel into the tank. I put some thought into the problem and came to this conclusion. The newer fuel filler neck on these cars has a flapper that stops the fuel from splashing back onto the cap when driving. The flapper on the newer vehicles is approximately 4 inches from the sealing edge of the filler neck. On older models such as my 2006 SL the flapper is approximately 3 1/4 inches. The fuel nozzles at the stations only protrude 3 1/2 to 4 inches beyond the compressed length of the shroud used to retain fuel vapors. As a result the nozzle does not completely open the flapper and the fuel splashes back into the shroud causing the pump to shut off. It seems that the nozzle manufacturer made their part to the minimum length desired and the vehicle manufacturer made their design with the maximum depth allowed. My local dealer claims they have not had any one bring this type of problem to their attention. Standard operating procedure. This seems to be like a comedy of errors or a series of unfortunate circumstances. I don't know who is to blame or what can be done to resolve this. I did use a spring insert to hold the flapper open and I was able to get the fuel to flow without stopping however the spring blocked the nozzle from seating completely. I'm working on an adapter to install into the filler neck to resolve this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel filling issues