Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK
GLK Tuning chip - again :(

So I stumbled onto this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chiptuning...item3a87561e3f

Now someone already answered before regarding tunning chips vs remapping ecu .. and to be honest, the amount of colors and half-naked girls in that ebay listing kinda makes me doubt the product. But different listings give different interesting results and I just cant be sure whether I feel I trust it or horny (kidding ).

Anyone has any thoughts or takes about this?

Additionally .. Say that a friend has an OBD carbrain scanner/coder - is there anything that can be done with OBD devices to alter ecu mappings? or alter cars performance?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I guess those girls got your mojo running. LOL

But isn't that tuning chip for Diesel engines?

I thought you have a GLK350 ???
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 AM

GLK
Nope. Its the 220 CDI. Consumption on the 350 was just like my old Audi Q5 and I couldn't bear it (money speaking).

the 220 cdi consumption is so sweet compared to other 2.2 engines (its my first diesel really so I can only compare to 1.8T and 2.0T I had with golf and audis).

Additionally, I made some extra reading regarding this. Girls did get my mojo running but as I already though - it really all just the same thing. Tunebox = Smart/Modern/Sweet resistor.

However, I dont know who does remaps in my region and how safe that is (I remember I could make a remap in my A3 and use the Cruise Control stick to alter between programs so even if it goes into the shop - they won't notice it).

Someone also told me that in some viechles they have a "chip" that actually install into the ECU (and not directly to the engine or to OBD). Not sure about how this works but I guess its just the same as tunebox and remap is still preferable.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Wow, three scantily clad models and one cute phone operator... it must be a great product!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
I look at advertising like that, like I look at video games. Since it is easier coding to change the clothing on a character than to rewrite a bad story/plot or entire game play code; the worse the game, the fewer clothes the ladies wear.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250
I found SO many of those tuning boxes on eBay too, from all over the world. I ended up going with the Juice Box Diesel (JBD) from Burger Tuning out in California. Burger specializes mainly in BMW tuning but have started to branch out to Mercedes.

http://burgertuning.com/Mercedes_JBD...nce_tuner.html

The JBD was originally intended for the E350 (single turbo V6, 210 hp/400 lb-ft) but it has the same connectors as the GLK250. If you want to know more about my experiences with the JBD, send me a PM, or I'll post it here.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 AM

GLK
Hi folks .. Thought about trying my luck again ..

There was a great post about JBD tune boxes (here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...es-glk250.html ).

I actually ordered one and it didn't fit my car (it had a slightly different connector and the guys and JBD had no idea why, maybe European or 2014 different models).

So I'm still looking for a recommendation for a tune box (external, no reflashing ecus).

Can anyone recommend anything he tried?

(Preferable for 2014 models)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
There is a tuner here in Calgary that plans to develop a software upgrade for the 2.2 Bluetec engine, but currently they're unable to work on this project as there isn't a driver for the read/write capabilities on this specific ECU.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM

GLK250
That's odd. Is it that the plug wouldn't click into the connector, or was it a different shape entirely? If it seems to fit but won't click, try removing the yellow rubber ring inside the JBD connector. That could help it click properly into place.

If the connector on your 2014 GLK is completely different shape and size than the JBD connectors, then that really sucks. The JBD fit my 2013 GLK no problem once I removed the yellow ring.

If there's no chance at all the JBD will connect to your car, one other product I was looking into was the twin-channel tuning box from TDI Tuning UK. Here's a link to their box for the GLK250.

I would contact them and confirm that it works for North American models. They told me it would but that was last year, and they are a British company.

Power figures look good: 253 hp and 450 tq. But I haven't used it myself. I went with the JBD because it was cheaper.

And yes, to answer your other question about the JBD, you have to remove the two screws holding the box together in order to access the power dial (left turn is lower, right is higher). But that's a moot point if you can't use the JBD at all.

Originally Posted by advocator
Hi folks .. Thought about trying my luck again ..

There was a great post about JBD tune boxes (here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...es-glk250.html ).

I actually ordered one and it didn't fit my car (it had a slightly different connector and the guys and JBD had no idea why, maybe European or 2014 different models).

So I'm still looking for a recommendation for a tune box (external, no reflashing ecus).

Can anyone recommend anything he tried?

(Preferable for 2014 models)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM

GLK250
One last thing. To remove any error codes (usually in the form of a check engine light) without an OBDII device, follow these instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mb..._indicator.pdf

It works. I've done it. It takes a day or so for the CEL to turn off after you've cleared the errors so keep that in mind.

Also, I don't know if doing this also removes the servicing warnings and/or low AdBlue warnings. I'm putting in AdBlue myself to save money, so it's not so much a concern for me.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by roscoe108
One last thing. To remove any error codes (usually in the form of a check engine light) without an OBDII device, follow these instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mb..._indicator.pdf

It works. I've done it. It takes a day or so for the CEL to turn off after you've cleared the errors so keep that in mind.

Also, I don't know if doing this also removes the servicing warnings and/or low AdBlue warnings. I'm putting in AdBlue myself to save money, so it's not so much a concern for me.

Hi mate

Well, heres the photograph I've sent the guys at JBD and they didn't know anything about it. They just said that if they dont fit - send it back for a refund (which I did). they were worried the software won't work properly.

The connector on the right is the original one that goes from the ECU to the engine. The connector on the left is the one on the JBD. They are supposed to be the same so I would connect the JBD to the engine (and the engine to the JBD).

The engine DOES connect to the JBD (which is not shown in the picture). However, look at the engine and the JBD connectors. The connector "tunnels" are not the same. Different arrangement and different spaces.

BTW!! Both connectors have the SAME unit numbers..

Last edited by advocator; 08-28-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM

2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
IF I was going to do a chip, this company has long been associated with MB. The website shows this for the first generation GLK http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/72
The site shows something similar for the GLK250 but not certain if the data is correct. The diesel option did not appear in the USA until the second generation in 2013. For me, my choice would be to upgrade to a 2013 GLK350 or GLK250. The GLK350 produces similar horsepower as the chip version of the earlier models plus you get the benefits of the great interior upgrade. At least that is what our plans are in a year or two. It will be a GLK250.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Renntech only has the 350 blue efficiency, not a Bluetec option unfortunately!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 PM

2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Not certain what the GLK350 blue efficiency is you mentioned. The link I provided goes to the GLK350 through 2012, 3.5 gas engine which was rated at 268 HP from the factory. If some one was interested in a chip for the 2.5 Bluetec, I would contact the company & try to clear the confusion.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 AM

GLK
My model is the 220 cdi. I would contact them and ask.