GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Worn headlights question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Worn headlights question

Saw this the other day on the top portion of my headlights...looks as if it's probably sun damage...I just bought a car cover for it since it does spend the majority of the time under the sun...but it gets real hot under the car cover as well...
has anyone had similar damage? If so, does anyone know how to fix it?
I'm going to try to buff it out and see if that helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC

Last edited by erlomd; 04-08-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
heres a better picture...
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
It's too upclose. Looks like it's just scratched up. When I bought mine new, I put xpel headlight clear covers to prevent damage to the lens. After 5 years the headlights look new. Automatic car washers will also ruin your headlights over time (they become foggy on the outside). The good thing is that there are plenty of restoration kits available.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
It's too upclose. Looks like it's just scratched up. When I bought mine new, I put xpel headlight clear covers to prevent damage to the lens. After 5 years the headlights look new. Automatic car washers will also ruin your headlights over time (they become foggy on the outside). The good thing is that there are plenty of restoration kits available.
Thanks for the reply, its a pretty close shot I agree...ill try to take a better one soon...I tend to wash it myself at home most of the time, if not at the dealer where they offer the free car washes, but I do think they have a machine there...

I haven't had a lot of free time this week, ill try to see what happens with a mothers headlight restoration kit I have...if not ill just live with it I guess...its actually not very noticeable unless you know where to look, the rest of the lens is fine and the other headlight is perfect...I think it might be too late to put the clear film over it to prevent further damage.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Agree those look like scratches from either clearing snow with gravel in it or someone with a big belt buckle , snaps or zippers leaning over the glass to service the car.
I would think twice about a cover, especially in hot climates. As you said the heat builds up and with moisture under the cover can 'mottle' the paint. You get spots that look hazy and the cover can actually stick. Unless the cover is well ventilated, it is probably better to just keep a heavy coat of wax or finish protection on the vehicle.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bop11
Agree those look like scratches from either clearing snow with gravel in it or someone with a big belt buckle , snaps or zippers leaning over the glass to service the car.
I would think twice about a cover, especially in hot climates. As you said the heat builds up and with moisture under the cover can 'mottle' the paint. You get spots that look hazy and the cover can actually stick. Unless the cover is well ventilated, it is probably better to just keep a heavy coat of wax or finish protection on the vehicle.
thanks, i never lean over the lens with any type of buckle...nor do I reprimand my cars headlights by whipping them with a belt......lol
but I do understand the cover situation...sucks, but I have to keep my car outside in the warm and humid and rainy south florida sun...also, theres a big ol' sappy tree the lives next door...any advice? or is wax still enough?

Last edited by erlomd; 04-09-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
heres some more pics...I used the Mothers headlight restoration kit with the drill attachment...but nothing...made it smoother though...lol
the kit does come with 2 levels of sand paper, which might do the trick...but I always feel a little queazy applying sandpaper to the car....its barely noticeable...but it does show...like clear vintage plastic patina (I think I'm overly romanticizing a scratch don't you agree?)

Last edited by erlomd; 04-09-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Looks better; nice job!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Wow, those scratches are deep! If you were in the North, and seeing they are on the drivers side, I would have said that a snow plow went by and threw a plow full of gravel, but I don't see it on the paint. It looks as if the plastic cover was removed and set down in gravel. I doubt that the sun would have made those long straight scratches. Was the car parked where kids congregate? The small random pattern looks as if someone was leaning against it in dungarees for quite a while, moving their but while they talked, and then slid off. You can always grind it down more and if worse comes to worse replace the part. However, you notice it but I doubt if anyone else would.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:32 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bop11
Wow, those scratches are deep! If you were in the North, and seeing they are on the drivers side, I would have said that a snow plow went by and threw a plow full of gravel, but I don't see it on the paint. It looks as if the plastic cover was removed and set down in gravel. I doubt that the sun would have made those long straight scratches. Was the car parked where kids congregate? The small random pattern looks as if someone was leaning against it in dungarees for quite a while, moving their but while they talked, and then slid off. You can always grind it down more and if worse comes to worse replace the part. However, you notice it but I doubt if anyone else would.
its in the warm, humid climate of south florida...the car cover is new...never touched the floor...and if it were too, i would think that some other parts of the paint surrounding the area would also be affected...no jeans or any leaning over the headlights have occurred as far as i know...oh well, your right that something had to have caused the scratches.

but I agree that if it gets worse, Ill have to replace the lens...I already saw some on ebay for around $150...so its not breaking the bank, but for now those scratches are not worth getting new lenses...

I guess ill just keep the cover on it for now until I have time to do a thorough rubbing, waxing and polishing...
I think I need to invest in a car port...

Last edited by erlomd; 04-10-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Looks better; nice job!
thanks, but it really didn't improve that much from the original zoomed in photo...I guess it looks good from far, but its far from good...lol
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I've used sandpaper several times to improve clouded plastic headlight lenses. Anything from 1500 to 3000 grit wet or dry paper should work. The courser grits work faster but take more polishing to finish up. Use it wet rinsing every few minutes. The only caution is to masking tape off the edges of the fender and hood next to the lens. It's too easy to sand the paint accidentally.