GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

some questions prior to signing the deal...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
some questions prior to signing the deal...

so, i'm looking at a GLK250 diesel and to me it is a great car.
some questions before i dive into the deal, if someone can help it'd be great.

its a 2014 base model, and if i forego the 2 major packages (prem 1 and multimedia), can i still retrofit backup camera with the existing command system?

also, since the dealer is working on the deal for me is discounting on its existing inventory, and the base model has no options obviously, and i'd like to have parktronic retrofited. they said it'll cost me $1295 to retrofit the parking sensors. is this a legit deal?

can i buy the retrofit kit and do it myself or have my mechanic do it for less?

also, if i were to lease the car, which credit bureau do they do the hard pull from?
i just checked with amex credit secure and have 729 on experian and 750 for transunion, but my equifax score is showig signs of attrition from recent hard pulls...

Last edited by zhan; 04-08-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
Anything aftermarket on an MB will be quite costly and would present warranty ramifications on related components....just something to keep in mind.

Are there any other vehicles nearby your location which include the options you want and that the dealer would be willing to swap in? That would be the best option IMHO.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1) If no multimedia - then you do not have COMAND - you will have Audio 20 system - and for that no MB/available rear camera upgrade to my knowledge

2) I am not aware of a MB upgrade parts kit for Parktronic

3) Your credit score is fine - well above MB requirement to qualify for best tier lease

Please understand that factory installed options are the most affordable way to have those particular features you want most - don't compromise that if you want to drive happy for the term of your 2-3-4 year lease.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 AM

AMG GTS Edition 1
yeah, but if i want the backup cam, it requires prem1 + multimedia... which add up to around 6000 dollars extra...
i dont really want/need pano roof and 80 gig navigation...

Last edited by zhan; 04-08-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by zhan
yeah, but if i want the backup cam, it requires prem1 + multimedia... which add up to around 6000 dollars extra...
i dont really want pano roof and 80 gig navigation...
This is simply another typical case of "you gotta pay to play" with these German luxury vehicles.

You might want to wait a little for the 2015 X3 diesel that is coming out later in the year. With BMW you can at least pick the "Driver Assistance Package" (~$900 if I remember correctly) a la cart without bundling other expensive options.

I don't have the Multi pkg on my GLK250 either because of the same rationality. To look on the bright side, I got real good at gauging when I'm about to bump into somebody when parallel-parking because of it
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 AM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by glayfan40
This is simply another typical case of "you gotta pay to play" with these German luxury vehicles.

You might want to wait a little for the 2015 X3 diesel that is coming out later in the year. With BMW you can at least pick the "Driver Assistance Package" (~$900 if I remember correctly) a la cart without bundling other expensive options.

I don't have the Multi pkg on my GLK250 either because of the same rationality. To look on the bright side, I got real good at gauging when I'm about to bump into somebody when parallel-parking because of it
yeah, my dealer is giving the lease to me for a great deal
it definitely wont happen with the x3 diesel

Last edited by zhan; 04-08-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 AM

yeah, my dealer is giving the lease to me for high 300s out the door with 0 down and max security deposits...
it definitely wont happen with the x3 diesel
Fantastic deal indeed! What was the MSRP and lease terms if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 AM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by glayfan40
Fantastic deal indeed! What was the MSRP and lease terms if you don't mind me asking?
30 month and msrp is around 40500?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
You don't need the MB packages for what you are asking. There are aftermarket back up camera system, some even show in the rear view mirror. Parktronic type aftermarket is also available as are systems that warn of people in your blind spot. The last two require drilling in the bumpers but not hard and cheaper than the dealer option is you don't mind a little work. Most Auto Audio places have them or look on the NET. I have seen all of these mentioned in this bulletin board. The MB packages are just nicely integrated.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
so, i'm looking at a GLK250 diesel and to me it is a great car.
some questions before i dive into the deal, if someone can help it'd be great.

its a 2014 base model, and if i forego the 2 major packages (prem 1 and multimedia), can i still retrofit backup camera with the existing command system?

also, since the dealer is working on the deal for me is discounting on its existing inventory, and the base model has no options obviously, and i'd like to have parktronic retrofited. they said it'll cost me $1295 to retrofit the parking sensors. is this a legit deal?

can i buy the retrofit kit and do it myself or have my mechanic do it for less?

also, if i were to lease the car, which credit bureau do they do the hard pull from?
i just checked with amex credit secure and have 729 on experian and 750 for transunion, but my equifax score is showig signs of attrition from recent hard pulls...
Keep in mind that with a lease you are paying only 50% of the cost of the factory installed options if the residual is 50%. It will probably be cheaper to lease a loaded car than a stripper with options put in after that you pay full cost for.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk
Is it possible to install aftermarket stuff in leased vehicles without incurring any penalties?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Retrofitting is a great way to waste a ton of time, possibly screw up your car (or void your warranty), and often spend more money than if you'd just bought the car you wanted in the first place.

Take your hand off your heart, choose what you really want (not what you think you should settle for), and drive with your head held high!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
A leased car is not your car to modify and you contractually cannot do so. You generally can install genuine MB accessories but retrofitting aftermarket backup cameras and parking sensors is a definite no. Can you "get away with it?" Maybe, but it's a gamble. Can you also get reamed? Yep, sure can.

Red flags are waving all over the place. You're leasing (#1) a base car (#2) that falls short of what you actually want (#3) because the options you want are too expensive (#4) and you're making max security deposits (#5) just to get a payment in the 300s (#6)? I don't say this to be mean, but it sounds like you're reaching to drive a Mercedes.

That said, even if you purchase the car outright with cash, I still would not buy something that falls short of the options you want and try to retrofit them. Buying an expensive car that you don't want will be an expensive mistake. So, if you can't afford the Mercedes you want, drive an inexpensive car with good resale value (think: Honda) while you save money for the Mercedes you want.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:29 PM

GLK350
Mercedes Benz is not for everybody. Oriental cars are cheaper to own but not as prestigious as European cars.