GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Is this normal for starting on incline?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 350
Is this normal for starting on incline?

I've had my GLK for about a week and a half now and I'm still getting used to its quirkiness.

When I start the engine while on an incline and shift to drive, the car jerks and it feels like the back end kind of drops down. It probably doesn't drop down, but that's just what it feels like. Is this normal?

Is there a trick to putting it in drive on an incline without a problem?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Do you have parking brake on?
The best practice when stopped on incline is to put parking brake on first, then shift to park.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM

2014 GLK 350
No - I read in the manual that the hill start assist would not work if the parking brake was engaged so I just didn't engage it. Never used it with my truck and never had an issue...this car is a completely different animal.

Would having it in sport mode make a difference? Only used economy mode so far.

I'll engage the parking brake tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I only park on an incline during afternoon carpool so I can just show up a little later to avoid starting it uphill.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
You don't need hill start assist if you are parked. It will come back on once your foot is on the brake, release the parking brake and shift into D.

With any automatic car, it's good practice to put parking brake on before putting it in park to prevent potential damage to the tranny.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 PM

2014 GLK 350
I'll give it a shot and report back tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 AM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
The hill assist on the GLK has never worked as well as it's advertised.
If the hill is steep enough, your vehicle will roll back like manual slightly before you give it gas to move forward.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Not quite sure what the problem is here. Lt foot on brake, Rt foot on gas, depress Rt foot slightly, release Lt foot slowly, car starts up hill smooth as babies...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 PM

2014 GLK 350
It doesn't happen when I press the gas. It happens when I still have my foot all the way on the brake, then I start the car, and then shift out of park. Right when I shift to drive is when it sounds weird and feels like my back end has dropped. My foot doesn't leave the brake for about 30 seconds or so after I have already shifted (waiting for other cars in front of me to move).

No problems when I press the gas, that is definitely smooth.

I'll do my best describing the sound...

When I had my truck, I had the option of 2wd, auto 4wd, 4h, and 4L. When my transfer case started acting up, it would really slam into position when locking the front to rear driveshaft, not only was it loud, you could really feel it as well. That's kind of what I am hearing and feeling, but louder and more of a "kick."

I know that is definitely not the problem because this is a 2wd.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM

2014 GLK 350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
You don't need hill start assist if you are parked. It will come back on once your foot is on the brake, release the parking brake and shift into D.

With any automatic car, it's good practice to put parking brake on before putting it in park to prevent potential damage to the tranny.

You win - it worked like a charm. Thanks for your help!

Never really used the parking brake in an automatic except for back in the day when I was in high school and well...you do things on backroads that are not always the best thing to do to your car. Went through a lot of tires back then...
Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by 420tee
Not quite sure what the problem is here. Lt foot on brake, Rt foot on gas, depress Rt foot slightly, release Lt foot slowly, car starts up hill smooth as babies...
I made that exact same comment to a poster who apparently thinks the hill assist is critical for good health and long life, and he reacted like I suggested we burn the flag...