GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK 350 wind noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk350
2013 GLK 350 wind noise

There's an older post on this from a year ago. I wasn't sure if anyone would see my comments on that post so I'm putting this in a new thread.

Have a new 2013 GLK and getting wind noise off the windshield. Moderate at 50-60; pretty severe at 70mph. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by sayafam
There's an older post on this from a year ago. I wasn't sure if anyone would see my comments on that post so I'm putting this in a new thread.

Have a new 2013 GLK and getting wind noise off the windshield. Moderate at 50-60; pretty severe at 70mph. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks in advance
I have it on my 2011 GLK, it's ridiculous above 60 mph, can't use the bluetooth phone because no one can hear me over the wind noise.

I tried to have it looked at by the dealer, to no avail. Finally gave up after driving two 2014 GLK loaners that were just as noisy. I wrote it off as poor engineering, shrug.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
There was another similar post in the last few days. I would search for it. I don't want to duplicate my post there and invite flaming but the urethane molding at the top of the windshield was just a tiny bit loose on its edge causing it to lift at speed. This generates a lot of noise. Might want to run a soft tool or a finger along both edges to see if it lifts up. Doesn't take a lot to generate a lot of noise. If your finger can lift it - so can the wind.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM

glk350
Originally Posted by lyonkster
I have it on my 2011 GLK, it's ridiculous above 60 mph, can't use the bluetooth phone because no one can hear me over the wind noise.

I tried to have it looked at by the dealer, to no avail. Finally gave up after driving two 2014 GLK loaners that were just as noisy. I wrote it off as poor engineering, shrug.
Thanks for the reply. I too have tried to shrug and accept it. Most of the time I'm driving in rush hour so 70mph is achievable only for short spurts if that.... It's annoying more than anything else.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 PM

glk350
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
There was another similar post in the last few days. I would search for it. I don't want to duplicate my post there and invite flaming but the urethane molding at the top of the windshield was just a tiny bit loose on its edge causing it to lift at speed. This generates a lot of noise. Might want to run a soft tool or a finger along both edges to see if it lifts up. Doesn't take a lot to generate a lot of noise. If your finger can lift it - so can the wind.
OK I'll give this a try and report back. Failing that maybe try a strip of electric tape as a test.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM

2011 GLK350
The dealer replaced my upper molding with no change. I taped all the joints on the car with blue tape, no change. I'm out of ideas, and so is the dealer...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic

The dealer replaced my upper molding with no change. I taped all the joints on the car with blue tape, no change. I'm out of ideas, and so is the dealer...
Same deal...had it replaced.I was driving at about 70mph on the highway and the strip pulled away from the windshield and started slapping against the roof. I had to pull over and fix it. Not sure why it is so loose, but I plan to ask them to glue it onto the windshield the next time I am in for service.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 PM

glk350
Interesting. I can run my finger tip underneath the roof-side edge of the top strip; it's quite loose. I can lift the bottom edge with my finger tip; this one is a bit more stiff.

I have another Merc (a coupe). That one does not have a strip along the top of the windshield so no compare.

I also have an older Pilot. That one has a very stiff strip along the windshield.

I see two other posts about strip replacement (thank you) but appears not to do much good??

I'll try to tape down the strip and see. I hope I don't somehow end up leaving bit of tape and unremove-able goo all over because of this experiment.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 AM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by sayafam
I hope I don't somehow end up leaving bit of tape and unremove-able goo all over because of this experiment.
Use a blue painter's tape, it won't leave any residue.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Good luck with this; wind noise sucks!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM

glk350
Use a blue painter's tape, it won't leave any residue.
I don't know why I have blue tape but turns out I have blue tape. taping the strip down makes a noticeable difference though it doesn't make the problem go away. I guess I'll go lean on our friendly dealer...
Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM

14 GLK 250 BT
New poster here, but I had read on Edmunds.com that is held true for the tester and writer. He chalked it up to the design of the front windscreen portion. I bought it knowing that it was an issue. With a lot less miles (seat time) @ 75 mph, it did not seem to be an issue to me. Hopefully it will not be a drip drip drip issue going forward.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
When my first windshield was replaced there was significantly more wind noise. When I cracked it and replaced again, it was back to normal. I would not say GLK is terribly noisy with windows up and sunroof closed. I guess it's possible that the windshield wasn't glued in properly at the factory or if car is used that it has been replaced.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
what Noise ??

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
When my first windshield was replaced there was significantly more wind noise. When I cracked it and replaced again, it was back to normal. I would not say GLK is terribly noisy with windows up and sunroof closed. I guess it's possible that the windshield wasn't glued in properly at the factory or if car is used that it has been replaced.

Hi everyone...
We are doing a long road trip and just a 800MILE run (1 fuel stop) and av speed (from GLK Trip Computer) - 68mph IN CANADA. Seems little or no 'wind noise' to us in our 014 GLK (non AMG option but has Running boards, tow, Media+ HK radio + hotspot with keyless ). Maybe as it was clear cool crisp night and we are HIGHER VOLUME music listener's :P:P didn't notice those wind noise !

Maybe look @ doing what other mike did (my State Farm insurance - unlimited free replacements).....

>>Sucks as we cannot get the 'stupid' rogers (hotspot on and off while I type this) to give us good "3/4G signals" and yet they charge us a BOMB for it..... so will be a B** call to them today!!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
the design of the GLK is very angular with an all terrain jeep like designs...I would believe that because of this, aero dynamics go out the window...but it sure looks awesome and different (hence, it is one of the reasons why I own one)...

with this in mind (just like with anything) you have to give and take some every day comforts here and there when chewing any car.
I wonder how the G wagon compares? probably much worse...but then compare that to a S class, the S class would be much quieter. I have driven C classes in many occasions and they seem much noisier than the GLK due to tire noise but the ML is much quieter than the GLK.

any way, wind noise is there...is it an issue? maybe, if your comfort level and sanity is being severely compromised...other than that, I have a roof rack and bike racks on top of my GLK and wind noise is a little higher than normal at the speeds mentioned. It really doesn't bother me because I don't expect the GLK to be any quieter...actually I'm amazed it isn't noisier for that matter.

have you tried cranking up the radio? that always works
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Wind noise has to do a lot with insulation.
GLK has pretty low drag coefficient of 0.35, even though it looks boxy. C or S class are at 0.27-0.30. G-Wagen is at 0.54.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Wind noise has to do a lot with insulation.
GLK has pretty low drag coefficient of 0.35, even though it looks boxy. C or S class are at 0.27-0.30. G-Wagen is at 0.54.
thats interesting, I just looked up the 0.35 drag coefficient values and a 1996 dodge viper GTS has the same...but the noise that baby makes is well worth it...

but then again so does a mini cooper and a nissan cube...ouch!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
My GLK is quieter than my wife's E350. 20 miles of my morning commute is interstate at 70-80mph, and I am on the Bluetooth a lot. The strips around the windshield are the first culprit.

As another said, windshield installation makes a big difference. Set the AC to max fan setting, not recirculating and spray the windshield down with soapy water. Look for bubbles forming around the edge of the windshield.

On my old C300 I was getting wind noise, was scrubbing it down at the car wash and found a big gap in the windshield adhesive. Got the windshield replaced, quiet.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by PilotAlan
My GLK is quieter than my wife's E350. 20 miles of my morning commute is interstate at 70-80mph, and I am on the Bluetooth a lot. The strips around the windshield are the first culprit.

As another said, windshield installation makes a big difference. Set the AC to max fan setting, not recirculating and spray the windshield down with soapy water. Look for bubbles forming around the edge of the windshield.

On my old C300 I was getting wind noise, was scrubbing it down at the car wash and found a big gap in the windshield adhesive. Got the windshield replaced, quiet.
Increases the air pressure inside the vehicle to expose the leaks; very clever!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
The weather stripping at the top of the windshield is absolutely the culprit. While driving at about 70 mph on the highway on Saturday, it completely separated from the car and flew onto the road. The windnoise was immediately less noticeable, even though there was now a gap where the strip was. This is the second time it has come loose, and all along I believed this was the reason for the excessive noise, as the leading edge was lifting up and causing drag. I took it to the dealership and they are replacing under warranty. I asked them to glue the new one to the glass to prevent this from happening again, as well as reduce the wind noise.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
I'll also say that there is little wind noise -- what little wind noise I can hear is from the WhisperBar cross rails on the car. Otherwise, it's quite solid.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:52 PM

SKL, GLK
2013 GLK wind noise

M-B of Marin is terrific, kept at it until they found and fixed the wind noise at speed problem. After a week, I got my car back, FIXED!
Here's what the report said,

Found upper windshield strip loose. Removed strip and found upper windshield gap too large. Measured gap = 9.9mm (spec 6mm +/-.5mm) Cleaned and prepared glass and body. Reinstalled windshield with new seal.

The car is quiet. These guys are heroes in my book.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:04 PM

GLK350 4Matic
MB GLK350 4Matic Wind Noise Under Hood

When I get on freeway at speed I hear a loud flapping noise under hood. Looked at top engine cover all secure, went out again to 60+ MPH same noise, removed top engine cover, went out again to 60+ MPH same noise. There is a rubber hood seal that seals hood with engine compartment thought maybe it was flapping, still have noise at highway speed of 60+, worse if the wind is blowing. Any ideas?