GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Location of rear parking sensor LED "bar"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
Location of rear parking sensor LED "bar"

I've been meaning to ask this for a while . . . We have the parking sensors in our 14 GLK. The front LED "bar" is on the dash, which is great. The rear LED "bar" is maybe 2-3 feet away from the back of the car, mounted on the headliner.

This strikes me as odd -- it's difficult to see the LED lights when you're in reverse unless you move your head down so you can properly see them in the rear-view mirror. All other cars that use LED lights like this seem to have them mounted much closer to the rear glass.

Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where their LED "bar" for the rear parking sensors are located on the headliner -- roughly how far away is it from the back window? Is it easy to see in the rear view mirror, or do you have to duck down a little?

I've been meaning to look at other GLKs on the lot at my dealer to see where the bar is located. And in any case, was going to see how hard it would be for them (or someone else) to move it back closer to the rear window.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
I haven't measured the distance but it is hard to see in the mirror. I'm not exactly tall and I still need to "duck" a little bit if I want to see it. I normally don't bother, though. I find the beeps and the surround camera to be more helpful than the lights.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by balticgreen
I haven't measured the distance but it is hard to see in the mirror. I'm not exactly tall and I still need to "duck" a little bit if I want to see it. I normally don't bother, though. I find the beeps and the surround camera to be more helpful than the lights.
Sounds like mine was installed in the correct position, it's just that the correct position isn't that good! I rely on the surround camera primarily as well . . . .
Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I have only the camera and I find that more than enough to keep me out of trouble.

Our Infiniti G37 coupe has both and the beeping makes me nuts...