GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Transferring fuel from GLK to ATV (Farm use)

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Transferring fuel from GLK to ATV (Farm use)

I use my GLK 350 on a farm and was hoping to use it as a mobile gas tank to refuel my ATV (maybe once a month). Since the GLK has the freshest gas, I'd like to use it, to refuel my ATV and other small gas equipment, rather than storing gas in the gas containers where it is subject to getting old, water, dirt, etc.

So, can I connect a line to the fuel pump test port on the fuel rail, then run the car to pump the gas to the ATV? If so, where is the port of the fuel rail for the GLK? I've ordered a CD service manual from ebay, but was hoping someone might know the answer before I receive the CD.

Any other clever ideas on this project?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 PM

2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
Nice to know I'm not the only farmer with an GLK for playing in the mud and pulling things. But I never thought of it as a diesel delivery truck. Would work good for the JD skid steer and the Kubota RTV!

Love innovation!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'm sorry what???? and why???? are you getting an external gas tank or something?

To answer you question, if it similar to other benzes you would have to remove the upper plastic part with the air filter, I believe the fuel rail is under there and you might have to take off the manifold as well...not sure.

Why not pump fuel out of the gas tank with simple pump?
Why not add additives the saved fuel?
Why not get fresh fuel when filling up GLK and heading to ATV? Gas tank in GLK is so small that if you do a lot of driving you would be going to gas station pretty often anyways.

I'm far from farming business so this makes no sense to me.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Wow a NYorker ...not knowing about farmer stuff :P:P

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I'm sorry what???? and why???? are you getting an external gas tank or something?

..., I believe the fuel rail is under there and you might have to take off the manifold as well...not sure. .........
I'm far from farming business so this makes no sense to me.

Hi NYC* ...
Don't sweat-it mate ... we farmers keep the COUNTRY FED AND GOING ! luv em CITY FOLKS though **woohah**
>> dint expect too many knowledgeable 'farmer-types' down NYC anytime soon :P:P

Yip the FUEL RAIL is just under the 'covers'...... ALSO - if in your GLK you turn the KEYS (not work in keyless mode so you have to use THAT KEY) to position 1 (where you see the ~~=diesel coil symbol - the coil will heat and that symbol disappears (yip diesels still have those COILS!!)

If you in super quite area - you might just hear that FUEL PUMP ( and water pump) start to CHARGE THE SYSTEM. This way the fuel rail is pressurized and .... ready for use...

Well I for ONE ... DO KNOW What these two 'farmers' are talking about.
EX farm boy (many many years ago shoot that makes me OLD FART!!) and that's when most all of our farm Equipment(s) were DISEAL. Pity back in 50-60s there was NO ATV;s or we would wreck (like most teens do)them in a week ...

From my past Experience(s) - This requires some "re-engineering" though

a) on The SUPPLY side ( after fuel pump) my dad use ADD a "tap-off' point. He would just braze a small valve -copper ones (now usually used for FRIDGE WATER LINES in homes). So when you need a couple of gallons - we would just TURN KEY to Position 1 (which powered the ELECRICTAL FUEL PUMP & PRESSURESIED THE FUELLINES) .......and transfer via a small dia. clear tubing to at that time "water-pumps; post hole digger" etc. ..........

HOPE this helps.........So maybe one of guys can DO IT and post some pictures for US TOWNEEs to see :P

"dreamin of Honda Atvs"
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by miked807
Hi NYC* ...
Don't sweat-it mate ... we farmers keep the COUNTRY FED AND GOING ! luv em CITY FOLKS though **woohah**
>> dint expect too many knowledgeable 'farmer-types' down NYC anytime soon :P:P

From my past Experience(s) - This requires some "re-engineering" though

a) on The SUPPLY side ( after fuel pump) my dad use ADD a "tap-off' point. He would just braze a small valve -copper ones (now usually used for FRIDGE WATER LINES in homes). So when you need a couple of gallons - we would just TURN KEY to Position 1 (which powered the ELECRICTAL FUEL PUMP & PRESSURESIED THE FUELLINES) .......and transfer via a small dia. clear tubing to at that time "water-pumps; post hole digger" etc. ..........

HOPE this helps.........So maybe one of guys can DO IT and post some pictures for US TOWNEEs to see :P

"dreamin of Honda Atvs"

I would have preferred to simply siphon it as needed from the tank but the rollover check valve ball blocks my tubing, so that is why I'm seeking this alternate method. Mine is a gasoline engine (not diesel), but I'm guessing your "tap-off" valve idea will still work. I'll of course be extra cautious with the gasoline vapors and will experiment with a cold engine, and depressurized fuel line. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yep, post hole diggers, water pumps, generator, ATV, sprayer, etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Wow, GLK for farm use? Mine's (2WD) gotten stuck on my level front lawn on wet grass twice. Had to tow it off once. I wouldn't drive this thing in snow on a bet.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
When fuel got expensive in the '70s, all manufactures put doors in the filler to keep thieves from siphoning out your precious gas. Everyone complained about these anti-siphon devices because that was the normal method of fueling lawnmowers and stuff, especially since the change to unleaded gas. Anyone remember that you were suppose to use 'White gas' Amoco I think, in your power tools? This was unleaded, clear stuff. That was back in the $0.70/gal days. With gas at $3.50/gal, I think they are still there, so forget siphons. In the US, you can get a tax refund for non road use fuel, as the tax is a 'Highway' tax. So pump into a separate tank to keep track. Before ethanol, boat owners with trailers use to keep track as it mounted up to many dollars.
The fuel pump will probably only run for a few seconds without the engine running. Most vehicles do this, so that in an accident the fuel pump will not pump more than a few seconds onto a non running hot engine to minimize the possibility of fire. So if you do tap in you need to keep the engine running. A better place to tap in is probably the return line, as all cars, diesel and gas, now have them. Direct injection fuel rails are pretty high pressure so this is not a preferable place to tie in. Gasoline DI runs 900-1700 psi diesel runs to 22,000 psi.