GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350 Oil Extraction, Residual Oil?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
OK, I'm an old school guy... always crawled under to change my oil! But... I do have an extraction tool for our boat engine. Can someone explain to me how this dipstick draining method works with the GLK ? Fitting a hose over the dipstick tube??? How is air suppose to enter while removing oil? I believe the GLK oil system is such that it would create a vacuum, as the dipstick normally has to be removed at least twice to allow for a proper reading. Or is it the same as a marine engine, thus fishing a small tube through the dipstick tube to the oil pan and extracting.... because the latter has NEVER removed ALL the oil, no matter how many times/angles/stuffing the hose, there is still some sh-t at the bottom of the pan (marine engine). Has MB created a lower spot in which all can be drained out?
curious mind...
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Koenig1
Has MB created a lower spot in which all can be drained out?
curious mind...
Look at the video in post #9.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Well, just viewed the video again, last time was a week ago! So, you do use a smaller tube inside dipstick tube allowing for air displacement ala marine engine. I was hoping the outer dipstick tube lower end would be a mm or two off the pan bottom, perhaps in a 'pocket'. That would allow a large plastic tube to just fit over top of dipstick tube (fast oil removal as well). (removal of oil filter would allow air displacement) That would guarantee total removal of oil. The problem I have had with my Topsider and marine engine is the angle the dipstick tube enters the engine base. There's no support for the plastic tube when hitting the lower pan.... the plastic tube will bend and not remove everything. Also, the marine pan base is smooth, not allowing the plastic removal tube to 'enter' a crevasse! Lastly the f-fing dipstick tube(marine engine) will allow only the tiny-est tube to slide in... taking a long time to suck the oil out. At least MB got that right with allowing a much larger tube to be inserted!

Last edited by Koenig1; 05-20-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
for the Harbor Freight unit, the right angle piece where the valve is to let the oil flow has 2 rubber seals and it fits perfectly into the dipstick tube. You have to release the oil cap and the oil filter but you don't need to use any of the supplied tubes. It will draw the oil out very quickly, about 8-10 minutes. There is an indicator on the side of the unit that shows you how much oil you got out and mine is always very close to 8.3-8.5 qts. I put back in 8.5 qts and run the motor for 5 min or so and the dipstick comes back right at the full mark, so I know its getting most of it.

I have not tried other extractors, this one was recommended on this site and I have been very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails GLK350 Oil Extraction, Residual Oil?-hbf-oilextractor.jpg  
Old 10-18-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE 350
Harbor Freight Extractor

I bought the Pittsburgh Extractor from Harbor freight also. I used it to change oil in my golf cart, and it worked great. I really did not notice the end of the extraction tube would fit perfectly on my Mercedes. I asked my service guy at the dealer, and he said that they use an adapter on the tube the same size as the end of the HF extractor. The only thing I was unhappy with was having to pickup the unit to drain the oil back out to a container. I made a little bit of a mess there. I have since found a similar extractor at John Dow called the Crew Chief. It holds a little more oil, but drains by air pressure (10 psi) thru a larger tube with a curved metal end. It is much easier to open a ball valve instead of picking up the unit and dumping it out. Anyway, that was a great post you made and will save a few people the trouble of trying to snake a little plastic tube down to the bottom.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GLK 350
My local mechanic said GLK cannot be oil extracted. It will leave as much as 3 litres of dirty oil in the engine.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by bcvancouver
My local mechanic said GLK cannot be oil extracted. It will leave as much as 3 litres of dirty oil in the engine.
Go check with real independent Mercedes Benz mechanics...
Old 10-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
Go check with real independent Mercedes Benz mechanics...
He worked at MB dealership before.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by bcvancouver
He worked at MB dealership before.
My extractor gets out 7.4 US quarts of oil (three times for my 2014 GLK250) and I do not believe much dirty oil is left. At least 2 Michigan Mercedes dealerships are using oil evacuator rather than drainage.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
My extractor gets all the oil out of my C63 and my wife's old C300, but doesn't work too well on her 2015 GLK350. I was short 2 to 3 quarts and just couldn't get any more out, so I dropped the drain plug.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Look at the "mercedes source" YouTube video again. There is a low spot where the dipstick tube reaches into in the bottom of the pan. y pulling the plug you get all of the oil except the oil left in that depression in the bottom of the pan. With an extrator fittling at the top of the dipstick tube you get all of the oil.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
Look at the "mercedes source" YouTube video again. There is a low spot where the dipstick tube reaches into in the bottom of the pan. y pulling the plug you get all of the oil except the oil left in that depression in the bottom of the pan. With an extrator fittling at the top of the dipstick tube you get all of the oil.
Excellent video. However, like I stated, I can stick the extractor tube down the dipstick on my C63 and get all the oil, but for some reason, no matter how much I played with it, I could not get the last 2 to 3 quarts out of my wife's 2015 GLK350. And I'm not the only person who has had this happen. Maybe it has to do with the particular years of the vehicle. Not sure, but right now I can get 2 to 3 quarts MORE oil out of my car if I pull the drain plug. And I'm not too worried about leaving a cup of old oil in the pan. If you are really worried about that, then just jack up the right side of the car and you will get all of it out. But it looks like you are a lucky one because you can get all the oil out of your 2010. Same thing, I always got all the oil out of my wife's old 2010 C300.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I'm not using an extractor tube snaked to the bottom. I'm using the aluminum adapter with o rings connected to the top of the dipstick tube. This tube goes to the bottom but when I first tried by snaking a tube down it didn't get all the oil either. I have a 4Matic with a kink in the bottom of the tube to go around the front drive half shafts. I don't know if you have a 4Matic or if the 2015 uses a similar tube with a kink. I get all the oil out. I pull out 7.5 quarts which is everything. My manual said 8.5 quarts which Mercedes admitted was an error. The non-4Matics do have 8.5 quarts.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I'm not using an extractor tube snaked to the bottom. I'm using the aluminum adapter with o rings connected to the top of the dipstick tube. This tube goes to the bottom but when I first tried by snaking a tube down it didn't get all the oil either. I have a 4Matic with a kink in the bottom of the tube to go around the front drive half shafts. I don't know if you have a 4Matic or if the 2015 uses a similar tube with a kink. I get all the oil out. I pull out 7.5 quarts which is everything. My manual said 8.5 quarts which Mercedes admitted was an error. The non-4Matics do have 8.5 quarts.
Cool, thanks for the info. The people that make the adapter are here in Phoenix, but the weird thing is they don't want you to come pick up the adapter but would rather ship it to you for $13! I don't have a 4matic, but for some reason I must not be getting the tube to the bottom. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the adapter. Thank you.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
For the life of me, I don't understand why people won't just open the drain plug and let it drain while you replace filter. The whole oil change takes like 15 minutes. Also forces you to get under car and inspect things for leaks, wear etc.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:37 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
For the life of me, I don't understand why people won't just open the drain plug and let it drain while you replace filter. The whole oil change takes like 15 minutes. Also forces you to get under car and inspect things for leaks, wear etc.
I basically agree with this and in fact, when I did pull the bottom covers and drain plug, I did find a small issue underneath and fixed it. But I will tell you why it's nice to change the oil using the suction method. You never have to get on the ground. Just hook up the evacuator, pull out the oil, and change the filter from above the engine. No mess, no laying on the concrete. It's really easy.
The following users liked this post:
Alex Bel (10-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2019, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread, but man am I glad I found this.

I have a 2015 GLK350 4Matic and was also struggling with why my MityVac worked fine on my C63 but not the GLK. Could never get more than 5-6 quarts out through the dipstick and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why. Tried all the hose sizes and could never seem to get to the bottom of the pan (by design I realized).

So, I see the posts above about the special MB adapter for the dipstick. However I wanted to do my oil change TODAY and didn’t want to wait for something to be shipped, so I sat down and started to look around at what I could use to create a seal to the dipstick. Suddenly I had an epiphany. Here’s the big news (for me anyway).... the MityVac already comes with the correct adapter.

Check it out. The stepped rubber adapters between lengths of hose actually ARE the dipstick adapters themselves. All you have to do is drill out the wider side hole a little with a 5/16 bit so that the large main hose fits snug. The other side, just jam it into the dipstick and it stops at the first step and creates an airtight seal. Loosen the oil filter cap and oil fill cap. Then pump. All 8.5 quarts came out in about 3 minutes, it was shocking how fast it was.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 11-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.