GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Speed Limit in Command Nav screen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250, 2016 Volvo XC70, 2013 Jeep JK Sport
Speed Limit in Command Nav screen?

Is this possible to have the nav screen show the current speed limit for the stretch of road you're on? I know its not 100% accurate but many other brands both OEM and aftermarket have this feature and I found it quite useful. Am I missing it or did MB have a reason to omit this feature as part of their Command Nav bundle?
Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
Great Question! Standing by to see what answers this brings...
Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
It doesn't show on ours here in Canada. My VW does, though.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I don't think that's an option in the nav system but if you have sirius you can get traffic updates which show conditions along your route. As well the maps will show closed roads or construction zones.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 AM

When my $200 garmin will show you the posted speed and change colour if I'm exceeding it you'd think that the rather pricey MB model should at least have as much. Wonder if they can upgrade the software to include it?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by cpsseals
When my $200 garmin will show you the posted speed and change colour if I'm exceeding it you'd think that the rather pricey MB model should at least have as much. Wonder if they can upgrade the software to include it?

Honestly, that was my thought also. Can't say I'm particularly impressed with the usability of the Command Nav. Its comparatively complicated to use and missing some basic features that much less expensive systems have had for years.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
My Garmin is not quite as fancy but it does show what they think is posted speed. However, I've noted many errors and inconsistencies in the speed indicated and what is posted. I'd judge accuracy of speeds to be no better than 75% in my experience. I attribute this to the fact that highway departments, and cities, are changing posted speeds regularly. I never rely on speeds posted on the Garmin and truly don't miss the lack of it for that reason on the Navi. It would be quite difficult to continually update both from the source and to the software.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bob338
My Garmin is not quite as fancy but it does show what they think is posted speed. However, I've noted many errors and inconsistencies in the speed indicated and what is posted. I'd judge accuracy of speeds to be no better than 75% in my experience. I attribute this to the fact that highway departments, and cities, are changing posted speeds regularly. I never rely on speeds posted on the Garmin and truly don't miss the lack of it for that reason on the Navi. It would be quite difficult to continually update both from the source and to the software.

As noted above, its never 100% accurate but can be helpful on remote roads where speed limit signs are sparse and really don't change very often. (Think speed traps on I-80 in Nebraska). It doesn't add up to me that pretty much every other GPS system has this but the Command doesn't. Wonder if it has more to do with MB offering this as part of an add-on package in some markets.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Agreed!

But, I can see some some guy losing his license for speeding too often and then suing M-B for the inaccuracy. If the decision was mine, at least in the US I would NOT include speed limits.

I do find them useful on the Garmin more or less as a guide, but even in the wide open spaces of the West where I travel, I see frequent changes in speed limits. One example is on I-80 through Nevada where they resurfaced it and changed the speeds for a couple of hundred miles while doing it, many times where there was no actual work going on.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bob338
Agreed!

But, I can see some some guy losing his license for speeding too often and then suing M-B for the inaccuracy. If the decision was mine, at least in the US I would NOT include speed limits.

I do find them useful on the Garmin more or less as a guide, but even in the wide open spaces of the West where I travel, I see frequent changes in speed limits. One example is on I-80 through Nevada where they resurfaced it and changed the speeds for a couple of hundred miles while doing it, many times where there was no actual work going on.

My point is that its a basic feature of pretty much every recent GPS system on the market. Whether someone has the common sense to use the info appropriately, with adequate skepticism is a separate issue. I'd rather make that decision for myself rather than have a feature omitted. At the end of the day, its a feature that can be useful and it makes no sense to me that its not there.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 AM

slk
The best or nothing..... unfortunately nothing in this case lol
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by ashwats
The best or nothing..... unfortunately nothing in this case lol
Lol .. yips its Nothing ! for us also. .....

So having a
Magellon Magellon
in our car helps (well if its good enough for most AIRLINES to have a built-in Magellon NAV, I tough its good enough for us.
So we switch off the MB GPS (pity we got this option freee!! as its not much good away from any major city Plus its So SLOW!! thus making it VERY inaccurate if you driving around lots) and the 7inch screen fits nicely in front of the MB 7 Inch screen with USB cable & power Cig Lighter connector.
I agree, having some SPEED of ROAD warning is better than nothing; as its easy to go over quickly as some places we have seen speeds change over very short distances. eg one small Town in NS we saw speed drop from 100Kms to 60KM to 30 with 300-400meters !@! AND there was a COP car with HAND-HELD LASER present!!!.............
So as I drive past I waved @ him and even HE SMILED !!! lol lol
Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Did you ever think how that info gets there? I hope your local community is not spending YOUR or my money putting out things that transmit the speed limit (Big Brother?). I know the two big map companies have people who just drive around reporting road changes.
In my limited local, 7 mile, travel to work, the speed limits on the road changes every mile or even more and changes by time of day. The local towns make Mucho Dinero on this fact. And that is probably to what you object.
Cars are too complex as it is, as evident by all the silly recalls. Nav's are nice things, until they take you up a dead end road or tell you to turn left when the new exit is on the right. Yes, I've had Garmin's and Tom Toms do this to me and the MB's. Enjoy the drive and stop relying on the car to do all your thinking. They already have cars that drive themselves, have for years. They are called trains. But did you ever try to get one to get there faster when your kid has called and tells you she just had an accident?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bop11
Did you ever think how that info gets there? I hope your local community is not spending YOUR or my money putting out things that transmit the speed limit (Big Brother?). I know the two big map companies have people who just drive around reporting road changes.
In my limited local, 7 mile, travel to work, the speed limits on the road changes every mile or even more and changes by time of day. The local towns make Mucho Dinero on this fact. And that is probably to what you object.
Cars are too complex as it is, as evident by all the silly recalls. Nav's are nice things, until they take you up a dead end road or tell you to turn left when the new exit is on the right. Yes, I've had Garmin's and Tom Toms do this to me and the MB's. Enjoy the drive and stop relying on the car to do all your thinking. They already have cars that drive themselves, have for years. They are called trains. But did you ever try to get one to get there faster when your kid has called and tells you she just had an accident?

Exactly the type of elitist response to be expected eventually on this board. No one said anything about relying on the car to drive itself. Its a simple feature that most GPS systems have and the question was simply whether the overpriced MB Command had the options to enable it. Jeesh get over yourself. If you have nothing constructive to add, well, I'm sure you've heard the rest of the advice before.

Last edited by FC_GLK; 07-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 PM

2013 MB GLK 350
My 2013 glk 350 shows the speed limit on main roads in Orlando Florida. I do not no why yours does not unless the state didn't post them for the navagation program designer.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 AM

slk
Originally Posted by vinnieg
My 2013 glk 350 shows the speed limit on main roads in Orlando Florida. I do not no why yours does not unless the state didn't post them for the navagation program designer.
Is it Becker Nav or the standard MB nav?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Well excuse me! I misunderstood. I thought you wanted your GPS to set your speed, while you sat in the left lane with the auto cruise control on reading your text messages on the other half of the screen so that you did not need to be aware of everyone else on the road.
Sorry, I thought I only needed the GPS to tell me where to go, but I will also accept your directions. Hasta La Vista,baby