GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK350 Idle rpm bounces around?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK350
2013 GLK350 Idle rpm bounces around?

Hello, my wife and I just picked up CPO 2013 GLK350 4matic with 19K on the odometer.
This is the first Mercedes that we've owned and so I am still trying to get a sense of what is normal vs not normal for Mercedes.
A couple of things that I've noticed so far:
1) When the car is idling in gear, the rpm is at around 500rpm but seems to vary by 100 or 200 rpms all the time, i.e. when sitting at a traffic light I can see the tach going up to maybe 7-800 rpm, then dropping down to 500, then back and etc. Even though the rpm is moving around, I don't feel any roughness in the car so not sure if this is just normal or if this is something that I need to look into.
2) When driving the car, the car temperature seems to go to about 90C but also changes while driving, i.e. on the freeway it might go down to 80-85 for a bit, then goes back up to 90 or 95 if stuck in traffic on a hot day. Again, I know engine temperature varies quite a bit depending on climate/driving condition but wasn't sure if its normal to see this change on the temperature gauge.

I'm not as concerned about the temperature gauge as the rpm bouncing around during idling.
Anybody else's GLK350 rpm bounces around while idling?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by pwu_1
Hello, my wife and I just picked up CPO 2013 GLK350 4matic with 19K on the odometer.
This is the first Mercedes that we've owned and so I am still trying to get a sense of what is normal vs not normal for Mercedes.
1) When the car is idling in gear, the rpm is at around 500rpm but seems to vary by 100 or 200 rpms all the time, i.e. when sitting at a traffic light I can see the tach going up to maybe 7-800 rpm, then dropping down to 500, then back and etc. Even though the rpm is moving around, I don't feel any roughness in the car so not sure if this is just normal or if this is something that I need to look into.
2) When driving the car, the car temperature seems to go to about 90C but also changes while driving, i.e. on the freeway it might go down to 80-85 for a bit, then goes back up to 90 or 95 if stuck in traffic on a hot day. Again, I know engine temperature varies quite a bit depending on climate/driving condition but wasn't sure if its normal to see this change on the temperature gauge.

I'm not as concerned about the temperature gauge as the rpm bouncing around during idling.

Why is your car idling if you have auto engine off at a stop?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:02 PM

2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by Eyesncars
Why is your car idling if you have auto engine off at a stop?
The ECO mode doesn't shut off the engine every time the car stops. There are times when the engine keeps running. My question is about when the engine doesn't shut off
Old 07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
You need to press the brake pedal with enough force to engage the stop-n-go feature of the car. Also if the engine temperature has not reach it's optimum temp it won't shut-off. If you have a light foot it wont shut-off the engine. Better take it to the dealer and have it looked at and while you are at the dealer look at other glks and see if it will do the same thing.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:11 AM

2011 glk350
Originally Posted by pwu_1

was you able to get this issue resolved?