GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

5000 km Summer Road Trip on 2014 GLK 250 (Canadian Model) completed! AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MB GLK 250 BlueTEC, 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe
Thumbs up 5000 km Summer Road Trip on 2014 GLK 250 (Canadian Model) completed! AWESOME!

Hello folks!

Just wanted to comment on the GLK 250 BT for all of you who are contemplating a diesel.

I just got back yesterday from a 10 day road trip with my fiancee in her 2014 GLK 250 BT (Canadian model). The road trip started in Toronto (home) then we hit Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax, St. John, Portland (Maine), Boston, then back to Toronto.

We drove a total of just under 5000 kms and I was actively watching the fuel consumption at every gas stop (i.e. I was manually dividing the volume of gas put in by the number of kms we drove... not just using the on board computer). Here's a few notes I took:

First thing we noticed is that those EPA/road safety guys weren't lying to us! The slower (well closer to the speed limit) we drove, the more fuel efficient we got. I typically set the cruise control 15-20 km/h (10-15 mph) over the speed limit and my fiancee set the cruise control dead on at the speed limit.

When she drove, we saw fuel consumption from as low as 5.7 L/100km to around 6.2 L/100km. When I drove, we saw it range from 6.2L/100km to a high of 7.1/100km.

The second thing we learned is that diesel prices vary a lot more than gasoline. In Canada, we've seen it vary from $1.33/L to $1.45/L. In the US, we saw swings from $3.82/Gal to $4.20/Gal. Gasoline seemed to stay relatively flat... but maybe that was just city vs. service station pricing swings...

Finally, the GLK is the ULTIMATE road trip machine! Roomy and big enough to carry all our luggage (and the large amounts of stuff my better half bought at the outlets), yet small enough to dart in and out of downtown Boston traffic with ease. And all the toys (lane departure warning, blind spot warning, adaptive high beams, even the GPS) made the trip that much more safe and enjoyable!

With all the threads about different things going wrong (AdBlue warning, transmission noises, etc.) I was a bit nervous about getting this car for my fiancee. I definitely didn't want to see her stuck on the side of the road in the middle of a Canadian blizzard. But after some intense driving over the last 10 days and 0 issues to report.. I'm starting to feel a lot better about this car.

Fingers crossed she'll keep on ticking!

Last edited by DaRickSta81; 07-11-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 GLK 350
Enjoyed your story
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 PM

2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
Originally Posted by GoldStandard
Enjoyed your story
+1!
With over 10,000 km now on our 2014 the only issue we've noticed was the "updating Satellite" radio, that was easily remedied by holding the power button for 10 seconds. Not concerned at all about being stranded beside a roadway and we live in a very remote area.

I'm tempted to buy one of these 2014 "lemons" that were returned to dealerships in the states. I'm very optimistic that MB has the serious issues sorted out now.

So far our average fuel consumption is 6.8 litres per 100 km with only 3 speeding tickets. (haven't had a ticket in 30 years prior)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250, 2016 Volvo XC70, 2013 Jeep JK Sport
headed out in a few days from CO to Portland, OR. 2500 miles round trip in 4 days with 3 bikes on the roof Hoping for an uneventful trip with no DEF or CEL issues. Love driving this thing on trips but its a Pain in the Butt wondering if some random issue will pop up far from home.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by DaRickSta81
Hello folks!

Just wanted to comment on the GLK 250 BT for all of you who are contemplating a diesel.

I just got back yesterday from a 10 day road trip with my fiancee in her 2014 GLK 250 BT (Canadian model). The road trip started in Toronto (home) then we hit Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax, St. John, Portland (Maine), Boston, then back to Toronto.

We drove a total of just under 5000 kms and I was actively watching the fuel consumption at every gas stop (i.e. I was manually dividing the volume of gas put in by the number of kms we drove... not just using the on board computer). Here's a few notes I took:

First thing we noticed is that those EPA/road safety guys weren't lying to us! The slower (well closer to the speed limit) we drove, the more fuel efficient we got. I typically set the cruise control 15-20 km/h (10-15 mph) over the speed limit and my fiancee set the cruise control dead on at the speed limit.

When she drove, we saw fuel consumption from as low as 5.7 L/100km to around 6.2 L/100km. When I drove, we saw it range from 6.2L/100km to a high of 7.1/100km.

The second thing we learned is that diesel prices vary a lot more than gasoline. In Canada, we've seen it vary from $1.33/L to $1.45/L. In the US, we saw swings from $3.82/Gal to $4.20/Gal. Gasoline seemed to stay relatively flat... but maybe that was just city vs. service station pricing swings...

Finally, the GLK is the ULTIMATE road trip machine! Roomy and big enough to carry all our luggage (and the large amounts of stuff my better half bought at the outlets), yet small enough to dart in and out of downtown Boston traffic with ease. And all the toys (lane departure warning, blind spot warning, adaptive high beams, even the GPS) made the trip that much more safe and enjoyable!

With all the threads about different things going wrong (AdBlue warning, transmission noises, etc.) I was a bit nervous about getting this car for my fiancee. I definitely didn't want to see her stuck on the side of the road in the middle of a Canadian blizzard. But after some intense driving over the last 10 days and 0 issues to report.. I'm starting to feel a lot better about this car.

Fingers crossed she'll keep on ticking!

We also on a ROAD TRIP - however a bit longer than yours done 6800 Miles so far from 13@ delivery!Left Boston - April (was still snowing ) for Canada - Alaska, then to Northern Mexico, and hopefully back to Boston by End of year !.

SO far up the West coast then up to PEI, now in Northern ON ; soon to be in Toronto......We chose this DIESEL ENGINE - easy driving AND CHEAPER FUEL then 'petrol'.....yip we do around 40MPG easy !

Cheers and
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
It's been a solid vehicle for sure. We have 17,000 km on our bluetec now and over the life of the vehicle have averaged 7.6 l/100km - including winter driving, and mostly city use.

I just did a highway trip last week and averaged 6.3 l / 100 km at 130 kph.