GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014
Old 06-05-2015, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

Automotive Touchup vs. Paint Scratch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Automotive Touchup vs. Paint Scratch

I wanted to share my two cents about these companies. I've had damage to my GLK over the years, from backing up into a pole (and creating a cracker rear bumper) to accumulating bumper scratches a la parallel parking to getting curb sided by a hit-and-run. Auto body shops quoted me up to $6K for fixing the cracked rear bumper. And I've been quoted several thousand as well just for re-painting the front and back bumpers. I like to work on my GLK and just paint it myself. I use body filler. There wasn't much information on these companies, so I wanted to share.

My color is a Palladium Silver which is code 792.

Automotive Touchup - This is the lower priced company of the two and probably the one more customers buy from. I've bought their touch up paint, aerosol spray cans x 2, primer, and clear coat before. This place is almost half the price of Paint Scratch. The company is based in New Orleans, and I used to live near this place for 4 years. Quality work, but in my opinion, their products are inferior to Paint Scratch. Their palladium silver came out a shade darker than my OEM paint. When I called the folks up, they initially told me I was painting too close or too many coats. But I ended up buying another can of paint and followed their directions (and multiple YouTube videos) on how to properly paint a vehicle. I had a spray gun too. On the second can a year later, their color also came out darker, despite my improved technique. I sent a color swatch back to them, and they agreed that their color was darker than the actual OEM paint. Their clear coat is a gloss appearance. The GLK has a very thick clear coat. You won't be able to achieve this buying clear coat that doesn't contain urethane, but you will need a special respirator if you want a thick clear coat like the original.

Paint Scratch - This place is based out in California. Their prices are almost 1.5-2x double of Automotive Touchup, and they take a few more days to ship out. But overall, I think it's worth the wait. Their color definitely matched more closely to the OEM paint. Even when I painted closer or painted more coats, this paint was almost spot-on, but not quite perfect. Their clear coat product also has an appearance that better matches the OEM clear coat, although it is not a urethane spray.

Bottom Line - Paint Scratch > Automotive Touchup. More expensive, but when you're driving a mercedes, spend the money to buy a better product that will match the OEM color more closely.

Other Tips - Avoid clear coat that you will buy at Pep Boys or similar. I used the Dupli Color once on the bumper and it turned the clear coat yellow-green tint. I had to redo the entire painting.

There are other brands like Scratch Wizard and TouchUpDirect. I've used Scratch Wizard products before (their scratch repair kit), but if you're going to repaint your mercedes, I would spend the extra money for Paint Scratch. TouchUp Direct uses some kind of environmental safe agent, which I would avoid. ColorRite is another brand I've seen that is cheaper, but I would also avoid. They were popular mainly for painting motorcycles, etc.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
I just got three paint chips on my hood from an object flying eventually smashing the windshield. I am working through the details with the insurance company to get things fixed with an OEM windshield.

Now I am wondering what to do with the three small scratches on the hood. The insurance said they would pay to have the whole hood repainted, but I don't think I want to go that route. I know about the dealership touch up paint which I have used over the years on other cars. It works ok, but not the best on a flat surface. I am trying to figure out what other touch-up options there are.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by RSNovi
I just got three paint chips on my hood from an object flying eventually smashing the windshield. I am working through the details with the insurance company to get things fixed with an OEM windshield.

Now I am wondering what to do with the three small scratches on the hood. The insurance said they would pay to have the whole hood repainted, but I don't think I want to go that route. I know about the dealership touch up paint which I have used over the years on other cars. It works ok, but not the best on a flat surface. I am trying to figure out what other touch-up options there are.
I have paint chips from rocks landing on the GLK hood, but they're all very small. I painted them over with Automotive Touchup touch up paint bottle. Their bottle matches, but again, the shade is a little darker. The chips are still noticeable at arm's length away, but further away, you cannot see them.

I recommend against buying putty to fill the scratches / chips, sanding, and then spraying with an aerosol can. It'll honestly make your hood look worse. Painting sounds easy, but blending paint is difficult technique. Then the clear coat you use will look different than the OEM clear coat, which uses an urethane-based clear coat with a hardener.

If you don't want to do a simple touch up paint, here are two options (depending on how small or large your scratches are) --

1. Paint chips / deep scratches - I recommend using the Scratch Wizard Repair Kit. I have used this on a small but deep circular scratch on my back bumper of my GLK which went through the clear coat and down to the plastic. You basically use their small tube of putty / body filler which fills in the scratch. Then, you use their spreader to even out the body filler. A special liquid helps remove residual body filler. Lastly, you use a very fine paint brush to blot touch up paint over the spot. The kit includes everything. The website has a video. Youtube also has a lot of videos demonstrating how it works.

Do NOT waste your $20 on scratch removal kits from automotive shops, inclduing brands like Turtle Wax and Rust-O-leum. I've tried both of these, and they don't do the complete job.

2. Fine and more superficial scratches - I recommend the 3M scratch removal system. This product is a miracle. I rear-ended someone and ended up with over 30 fine scratches on my front bumper. Instead of repainting the entire thing, I bought this. It has very good instructions. Costs $20 at Walmart, but you could buy it cheaper at Autozone or Advanced Auto with a coupon. Took me a few hours, but it comes with a 3000 grit sandpaper. You basically sand each fine scratch down so that it is now level with the clear coat. Then you use their 3M rubbing compound to ensure the clear coat and sanded area is all the same level. Their scratch remover cream (which is probably equivalent to Meguiars) then polishes it. When you use the 3000 grit, it creates a hazy appearance to the clear coat, which freaked me out. But once the rubbing compound goes on, the 3M liquid really polishes it up. Kit includes everything but a power screw driver, which you'll need to help polish and apply the creams.

Do not buy those other scratch removers creams (Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Wax, etc.) from Walmart or those automotive stores. They only fill in the clear coat, but after a car wash, the scratches are all visible again.

If anyone needs help with alloy wheel repair, let me know too. I've done my own. I had bad scuffs from parallel parking in the city on 3 rims on my GLK. I paid a professional guy $300 to re-finish my rims, but in the process, he showed me how to repair the rim scratches / scuffs too.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:46 PM

I appreciate all of the additional information. This is helpful. While searching the internet on the Scratch Wizard Repair Kit, I noticed another commonly mentioned kit call Dr. ColorChip. Have you ever tried that kit? Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM

GLK 350, 300ce
Very informative. Thanks for sharing all of this! I'm sure I'll be prepping for a weekend to try some of your recommendations in the near future.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by RSNovi
I appreciate all of the additional information. This is helpful. While searching the internet on the Scratch Wizard Repair Kit, I noticed another commonly mentioned kit call Dr. ColorChip. Have you ever tried that kit? Thanks again.
I've heard good things about Dr. Color Chip in terms of matching color of the vehicle. Did not buy because it's expensive compared to other products.... and I had already blown so much money trying all the other scratch repair kits.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
In any big city, auto dealers will use the services of independents who do touch-up work using an air-brush technique. They are normally very competent and offer excellent results. Stopping in a dealership and speaking with the used car manager will usually result in at least one or two names. It is relatively cheap and will offer much better results than any commercial touch-up systems.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:32 AM

2010 SLK300, 2014 GLK350
I've used Dr. Color Chip on a Lexus RX350 and a MB SLK and was very satisfied with the results. Color match was excellent and it doesn't leave blobs like typical touch-up paint. Works well for small chips caused by flying pebbles, road rash, etc.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
In any big city, auto dealers will use the services of independents who do touch-up work using an air-brush technique. They are normally very competent and offer excellent results. Stopping in a dealership and speaking with the used car manager will usually result in at least one or two names. It is relatively cheap and will offer much better results than any commercial touch-up systems.
This is something I was hoping existed. I am willing to spend some money if I can obtain better results. Thanks. I will speak with the dealers nearby.

Chris
Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 PM

c300
alloy rim scuffs

Originally Posted by rocketd55
I have paint chips from rocks landing on the GLK hood, but they're all very small. I painted them over with Automotive Touchup touch up paint bottle. Their bottle matches, but again, the shade is a little darker. The chips are still noticeable at arm's length away, but further away, you cannot see them.

I recommend against buying putty to fill the scratches / chips, sanding, and then spraying with an aerosol can. It'll honestly make your hood look worse. Painting sounds easy, but blending paint is difficult technique. Then the clear coat you use will look different than the OEM clear coat, which uses an urethane-based clear coat with a hardener.

If you don't want to do a simple touch up paint, here are two options (depending on how small or large your scratches are) --

1. Paint chips / deep scratches - I recommend using the Scratch Wizard Repair Kit. I have used this on a small but deep circular scratch on my back bumper of my GLK which went through the clear coat and down to the plastic. You basically use their small tube of putty / body filler which fills in the scratch. Then, you use their spreader to even out the body filler. A special liquid helps remove residual body filler. Lastly, you use a very fine paint brush to blot touch up paint over the spot. The kit includes everything. The website has a video. Youtube also has a lot of videos demonstrating how it works.

Do NOT waste your $20 on scratch removal kits from automotive shops, inclduing brands like Turtle Wax and Rust-O-leum. I've tried both of these, and they don't do the complete job.

2. Fine and more superficial scratches - I recommend the 3M scratch removal system. This product is a miracle. I rear-ended someone and ended up with over 30 fine scratches on my front bumper. Instead of repainting the entire thing, I bought this. It has very good instructions. Costs $20 at Walmart, but you could buy it cheaper at Autozone or Advanced Auto with a coupon. Took me a few hours, but it comes with a 3000 grit sandpaper. You basically sand each fine scratch down so that it is now level with the clear coat. Then you use their 3M rubbing compound to ensure the clear coat and sanded area is all the same level. Their scratch remover cream (which is probably equivalent to Meguiars) then polishes it. When you use the 3000 grit, it creates a hazy appearance to the clear coat, which freaked me out. But once the rubbing compound goes on, the 3M liquid really polishes it up. Kit includes everything but a power screw driver, which you'll need to help polish and apply the creams.

Do not buy those other scratch removers creams (Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Wax, etc.) from Walmart or those automotive stores. They only fill in the clear coat, but after a car wash, the scratches are all visible again.

If anyone needs help with alloy wheel repair, let me know too. I've done my own. I had bad scuffs from parallel parking in the city on 3 rims on my GLK. I paid a professional guy $300 to re-finish my rims, but in the process, he showed me how to repair the rim scratches / scuffs too.
Would love that info about rims. We have high curbs and the front passenger side has taken a beating. Any info appreciated.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:25 AM

GLK350

I would love to know as I have screwed up my rims too.

Thanks, Les
Old 07-23-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Originally Posted by Smudger

I would love to know as I have screwed up my rims too.

Thanks, Les
I would love your thoughts on how to do this. I had all the wheels professionally refinished but a year later it seems someone driving the car has found curbs and the 20's have little room for error. I've used some silver body touch up I had laying around and it doesn't look very good.