GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Steering Control Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 250
Steering Control Module

This monday when my wife returned from work our glk 250 would not shift into park. If we shut off the car it would automatically shift into park, however, upon restart if the park button was pushed the car locked into gear.

I took it to the dealer and they found codes that isolated the steering control unit (SCM 212 900 77 15 9051). They told me that they had seen this problem in one c class but it was a pure software problem. The car has about 10,000 miles on it.

When I returned home I looked at the invoice from when the car would not shift out of gear and stranded us at the RPI parents weekend last year. The car had less than 4000 miles on it then. On the invoice they replaced not only the same SCM, but also the locking mechanism as well as performing a software update.

The good news is that the SCM did not entirely disable the car this time, but I am concerned that it has now been replaced twice in the past 10000 miles. Has anyone else had an issue with this part? I have watched my wife drive the car and I know that she is not being extreme in using the shifting lever or the park button. The invoice from when the car was disabled does reference that the steering jacket switch was replaced as of modification year. i wondered if this was "code" for this switch has proven to be troublesome but I have not found any other people having this problem on the forum.

Very Respectfully,

Jim Miller