GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Do I have a Becker?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350
Do I have a Becker?

I picked up a 2013 GLK350 and I requested that the dealer install a Becker Map Pilot of which he claims he did.

I recall taking another 2013 out for a test drive and noticed the word "Navi" was on the top left part of the radio. Mine does not show that.

In order to turn the navi unit on, I need to hold down the "clr" button next to the knob on the console. Is that correct?

The big items that think I don't have a Becker, is when I looked at the Becker manual and my screens look different.

Is there another system that is compatible with a GLK350 besides the Becker?

The dealer didn't install the system in the glove box and must have buried it within the dash. While there is a usb cable in the glove box, there was no other cable given to me, nor box that I guess the system would have come with.

Here are two screen shots.

Do I have a Becker?

Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 PM

GLK350
61 views and no one can confirm if this is a becker system or not?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I think there may be some miscommunication/misunderstanding between you and the dealer... let me tell you what I "think"..

I "think" your 2013 GLK has the base Audio 20 system only - and also does not have the factory installed option "pre-wire" for becker Map Pilot - which means the dealer did the "right" thing - which is the only way is to add the Nav+4 Univeral Media Interface - which - alos would add a USB cable in the glove box...

Question - do you have, or not have, Homelink garage door buttons under the rearview morror, and do you have, or not have, power rear tailgate - I think you have a "base" setp - without Premium 1 - and do Nav+4 UMI would be the only way to add Nav, and USB to that configuration..

Now, overall the cost for Nav+4 UMIO installed cost the dealer a significant bit more than a becker, but there is no a way to add pre-wire for the Becker post-factory..

There is no consumer box for the Nav+4, and you can google to get the instructions you need for operation..
Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I think there may be some miscommunication/misunderstanding between you and the dealer... let me tell you what I "think"..

I "think" your 2013 GLK has the base Audio 20 system only - and also does not have the factory installed option "pre-wire" for becker Map Pilot - which means the dealer did the "right" thing - which is the only way is to add the Nav+4 Univeral Media Interface - which - alos would add a USB cable in the glove box...

Question - do you have, or not have, Homelink garage door buttons under the rearview morror, and do you have, or not have, power rear tailgate - I think you have a "base" setp - without Premium 1 - and do Nav+4 UMI would be the only way to add Nav, and USB to that configuration..

Now, overall the cost for Nav+4 UMIO installed cost the dealer a significant bit more than a becker, but there is no a way to add pre-wire for the Becker post-factory..

There is no consumer box for the Nav+4, and you can google to get the instructions you need for operation..
The dealer did get back to me and admitted that the Becker wasn't installed, but another gps type which he claims is better and cost more money ($1400). Upon looking the Becker web site over IMO there is no way the Nav+4UMIO system is better or has more options. Within my price, I paid for the Becker and thats what I want. As far as not being able to do the wiring post factory, hate to say it, but that's his problem, not mine as my purchase order does say Becker Map Pilot.

In regard to Premium 1 package I do have it as I have the power rear gate and home link.

Thanks for your response.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:37 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by mpbmb
The dealer did get back to me and admitted that the Becker wasn't installed, but another gps type which he claims is better and cost more money ($1400). Upon looking the Becker web site over IMO there is no way the Nav+4UMIO system is better or has more options. Within my price, I paid for the Becker and thats what I want. As far as not being able to do the wiring post factory, hate to say it, but that's his problem, not mine as my purchase order does say Becker Map Pilot.

In regard to Premium 1 package I do have it as I have the power rear gate and home link.

Thanks for your response.
The salesman did get back to me and will be talking with the CPO manager tomorrow to see what can be done to resolve this.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I think you "need" a GLK with the MultiMedia package to not be continually frustrated with system limitations. They should have never talked you into buying a car without it.
At this early stage I would try and push the dealership into moving you into something with MultiMedia and not settle for anything else. It's really a great package, and I agree, it should almost be a mandatory option. I have it and wouldn't be without it.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The Becker can only be installed if the MB has factory pre-wiring - I understand what the dealer did do - and why they installed NAV+4.

Feel free to get another GLK with pre-wiring - or get a cost accomdation from them on something else.

Frankly, what you choose to do based on the accurate info I gave you - it's definitely not a problem for me !
Old 08-24-2014, 09:06 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The Becker can only be installed if the MB has factory pre-wiring - I understand what the dealer did do - and why they installed NAV+4.

Feel free to get another GLK with pre-wiring - or get a cost accomdation from them on something else.

Frankly, what you choose to do based on the accurate info I gave you - it's definitely not a problem for me !
Then we do have a problem, because my purchase order did say Becker and he installed the Navi+4

If he knew that the Becker couldn't be installed then he should have said something prior to the Navi+4 installation instead of thinking maybe I wouldn't notice it.

At this point I would rather give the car back since I've only had it since Saturday and find me one with the same options and pre-wiring.

We'll see tomorrow with what actions/options they come up with.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
One other excuse you can use to prefer Becker. The becker integrates with the dash, so your eyes dont have to wander to the nav unit to look at next turn direction/distance remaining to turn.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:59 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by bugelrex
One other excuse you can use to prefer Becker. The becker integrates with the dash, so your eyes dont have to wander to the nav unit to look at next turn direction/distance remaining to turn.
IMO I really don't need an excuse.

My purchase order says Becker and that's what I want. If by chance the dealer doesn't want to make it right, then I'm willing to take this up the chain in the Mercedes Corporation.

This isn't just a verbal agreement, I have it in writing of what I paid for and didn't get it.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
IMO I really don't need an excuse.

My purchase order says Becker and that's what I want. If by chance the dealer doesn't want to make it right, then I'm willing to take this up the chain in the Mercedes Corporation.

This isn't just a verbal agreement, I have it in writing of what I paid for and didn't get it.

This only works if you are dealing with a 'reasonable' person, there's a reason car dealers have a reputation for being shady.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:22 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by bugelrex
This only works if you are dealing with a 'reasonable' person, there's a reason car dealers have a reputation for being shady.
I found out that this "brand new" system they put in my car had a map from Q12010...yes 1st quarter 2010. This makes sense as I wondered why I was missing a lot of streets in my development that's still be constructed. Wouldn't have been surprised that they pulled it out of another older car to put in mine. Guess I caught a nerve that they knew that I knew the map was over 4 years old.

Plus for some reason the radio just "died" twice today on it's own.

So I called him back and informed him of the maps and radio problem and said I want to bring the car back and get what I paid for.

He called me back a few minutes later and informed me that he's going to find me a 2013 with the same package as I have (premium 1) heated seats and the Becker system with the low miles (8000) and to give him until tomorrow. The low miles could be a problem but I'm willing to work with that.

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have what I paid for and if by chance the Becker isn't what I thought it was...my problem.

I will say that the salesman has been really working with me trying to resolve this, even after hours over the weekend. Without a doubt someone I would recommend him the future.

Thanks for the updates here.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250
I have the Becker unit. Since I ordered a car from the factory it came pre-wired, no
dealer charge. The nav unit came in a separate box. The salesman plugged the unit
into a slot in the glove box when he was familiarizing me with the vehicle. You can
unplug the unit and connect it to your PC with the supplied cable to update the maps.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 PM

GLK350
Becker or not, it's over. The dealer couldn't find a 2013 with the Becker system and same options. We had the car for a week without the contract being finalized, so pretty much had a free car.

We brought the car back and they gave us our Acura RDX back.

While I thought the GLK was a great car, certain things bothered me, like the lack of voice bluetooth for calling, plus the fact that the Nav 20 (Nav+4) system was created in 2009 and still being used today for installs and the dealer didn't even bothering updating the map from Q1 2010.

So with that said, the Mrs. really wants something new and we're now looking at a 2015 Audi Q3. A little smaller than the GLK, but if the Mrs. wants it , she gets it.

For those who are married, "a happy wife is a happy life".
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Well, if Momma's not happy - nobody is happy. Having said that the MultiMedia package would answer all your complaints. I don't think the car should be sold without it.
I guess they were struggling to meet a pricepoint but it makes such a big difference.....

I sold an Acura to get my GLK (full disclosure - a TL not an MDX or RDX) and I got tired of the nose heavy feel of the front wheel drive. The GLK, Audi Q and the X3 are the only RWD offerings but the Germans have a much poorer Telematics offerings than the Japanese. A lot more fun to drive though. The Q3 is a solid choice and you (and Momma) should like it. I suspect if someone were to force a GLK on you that had MM I suspect all would be forgiven pretty quickly.

As a "near new" or used alternative, a broker might find exactly what you want in lease returns or at the auctions and save you a bundle. I've used eCarhouse(dot)com in the Dallas area for 4 cars and couldn't be happier with the cars and the quality of the experience. I drive back to California but shipping works too. I just enjoy the drive. I end up paying KBB Trade In Price out the door. Hard to beat. There may be such a broker in your area that can do this if it's interesting - or enjoy the drive too if this idea appeals to you.

Last edited by mjhawkins2346; 08-30-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
Well, if Momma's not happy - nobody is happy. Having said that the MultiMedia package would answer all your complaints. I don't think the car should be sold without it.
I guess they were struggling to meet a pricepoint but it makes such a big difference.....

I sold an Acura to get my GLK (full disclosure - a TL not an MDX or RDX) and I got tired of the nose heavy feel of the front wheel drive. The GLK, Audi Q and the X3 are the only RWD offerings but the Germans have a much poorer Telematics offerings than the Japanese. A lot more fun to drive though. The Q3 is a solid choice and you (and Momma) should like it. I suspect if someone were to force a GLK on you that had MM I suspect all would be forgiven pretty quickly.

As a "near new" or used alternative, a broker might find exactly what you want in lease returns or at the auctions and save you a bundle. I've used eCarhouse(dot)com in the Dallas area for 4 cars and couldn't be happier with the cars and the quality of the experience. I drive back to California but shipping works too. I just enjoy the drive. I end up paying KBB Trade In Price out the door. Hard to beat. There may be such a broker in your area that can do this if it's interesting - or enjoy the drive too if this idea appeals to you.
We did place the order today for the Q3 as the Mrs. realy wanted a new car. Me, I would have preferred the GLK, But I will say that the graphics in the GPS Q3 is light years ahead of the Navigation 20. Just hope the dealer doesn't try to screw the next guy who looks at the GLK that we returned with a 4.5 year old map. The two items that I don't like about the Q3 and can't get is homelink and memory seats. For some reason Audi didn't make them an option.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250
The Q3 is also a tier lower than the GLK. It's supposed to compete with the GLA & the X1 so you might find it missing/being charged extra some features found in higher models (just like how GLK Premium doesn't have voice command/rear-view camera while the M-class Premium does).
Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by alexkhane
The Q3 is also a tier lower than the GLK. It's supposed to compete with the GLA & the X1 so you might find it missing/being charged extra some features found in higher models (just like how GLK Premium doesn't have voice command/rear-view camera while the M-class Premium does).
I realize that it's not in the same category as the GLK, but it did come with some standard features that the GLK has as options...ie: moonroof, heated/leather seats.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
We did place the order today for the Q3 as the Mrs. realy wanted a new car. Me, I would have preferred the GLK, But I will say that the graphics in the GPS Q3 is light years ahead of the Navigation 20. Just hope the dealer doesn't try to screw the next guy who looks at the GLK that we returned with a 4.5 year old map. The two items that I don't like about the Q3 and can't get is homelink and memory seats. For some reason Audi didn't make them an option.

I wouldn't own a car without memory seats; remember, the side mirrors are part of that and readjusting them is a real PIA.

The lesson here, I think, is buy a car with the options you want factory installed. Too often attempts to "upgrade" cause problems and end up costing as much as the original; life is just too short for that kind of crap.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:57 PM

GLK350
Looks like the dealer pulled the Navigation 20 (Nav+4) out of the car and put it back on lot for sale as a CPO and for $2400 more than I paid.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
What Nav?

I picked up a 2013 GLK350 and I requested that the dealer install a Becker Map Pilot of which he claims he did.

I recall taking another 2013 out for a test drive and noticed the word "Navi" was on the top left part of the radio. Mine does not show that.

In order to turn the navi unit on, I need to hold down the "clr" button next to the knob on the console. Is that correct?

The big items that think I don't have a Becker, is when I looked at the Becker manual and my screens look different.

Is there another system that is compatible with a GLK350 besides the Becker?

The dealer didn't install the system in the glove box and must have buried it within the dash. While there is a usb cable in the glove box, there was no other cable given to me, nor box that I guess the system would have come with.

Here are two screen shots.

Do I have a Becker?

Request "Build Sheet" from dealer. It will include all info on your GLK equipment. Dealer can do this in less than 5 min. on his computer. Have had this done several times
Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by greasykid
Request "Build Sheet" from dealer. It will include all info on your GLK equipment. Dealer can do this in less than 5 min. on his computer. Have had this done several times
Thanks, but the GLK was returned over 1 week ago as it did not have the Becker System but the Navigatiion 20 (Nav+4umi) which IMO is years behind most other gps systems out there today,
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Mercedes-Benz F-Cell Roadster
Yes, You have the Becker. Becker map pilot is a software for navigation purpose. The software is installed in cars to navigate the directions. This is the newest generation of navigation software for car users. The tool is secure & safe to use for getting better outputs.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by mrn56
Yes, You have the Becker. Becker map pilot is a software for navigation purpose. The software is installed in cars to navigate the directions. This is the newest generation of navigation software for car users. The tool is secure & safe to use for getting better outputs.
Obviously I didn't have a Becker and for that reason alone the car was returned to the dealer.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:07 AM

Mercedes-Benz F-Cell Roadster
Sorry... I thought you have the Becker. It's OK. Better luck next time.