2010 GLK350 4MATIC weird humming sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
2010 GLK350 4MATIC weird humming sound

MB World members,

First off, just wanted to say it's a great pleasure to be here among fellow MB owners.

I have a 2010 GLK350 4MATIC model, and is starting to make some eery sounds and I'm hoping to seek the advice of fellow members.

The sound happens during acceleration only, which I believe rules out any braking related issues. It occurs intermittently at low speeds (around 25-40 km/h), after that speed it stops. Ventilation is turned on, but not high (only 1-2 notches).

It's also difficult to pinpoint whether the sound is coming from the front or the rear of the vehicle.

When making turns, the sound is accompanied by vibrations felt in the steering wheel. But when driving straight, no vibration is felt; only the sound is heard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:14 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by kjyc
MB World members,

First off, just wanted to say it's a great pleasure to be here among fellow MB owners.

I have a 2010 GLK350 4MATIC model, and is starting to make some eery sounds and I'm hoping to seek the advice of fellow members.

http://youtu.be/zOdPRrLPySM

The sound happens during acceleration only, which I believe rules out any braking related issues. It occurs intermittently at low speeds (around 25-40 km/h), after that speed it stops. Ventilation is turned on, but not high (only 1-2 notches).

It's also difficult to pinpoint whether the sound is coming from the front or the rear of the vehicle.

When making turns, the sound is accompanied by vibrations felt in the steering wheel. But when driving straight, no vibration is felt; only the sound is heard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i had the same issue with the same year, the dealer put it up on the hoist to listen underneath and turned out to be a (known issue) with the bearing in the transfer case, they replaced the entire transmission under warranty and its been perfect since.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by cmasten
i had the same issue with the same year, the dealer put it up on the hoist to listen underneath and turned out to be a (known issue) with the bearing in the transfer case, they replaced the entire transmission under warranty and its been perfect since.
Much thanks for your help!

Took it into the dealership earlier today prior to reading your post, didn't report back to me about any findings yet, but will definitely mention tomorrow and see what they can do.

After doing some more research, sounds like a known issue with that particular year and model; glad for your help, as I am just 3 weeks shy before my warranty expires.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Yeah, if you do a search you will see that it is a common problem.

Glad you're getting it sorted out before your warranty expires!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Unfortunately, I wasn't the one picking up the car from the dealership today, but after my contact relayed the information about the transfer case output bearing to the mechanic, they were sure it wasn't the case as they "checked it" themselves already.

Instead, they replaced the rear-right side shock absorber.

Will have to drive around for a bit but, by the looks of it doesn't seem as if they solved the issue?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:15 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
took the car in to a second dealership now, provided both audio and video evidence, claims that they cannot replicate the issue and can't repair it... informed them about the transfer case output bearing, says they cannot trace back to it...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM

2013 ML350
the symptom for the bearing is the whining sound at a certain speed (about 25-30 mph for me) and then it continues as the car accelerates, if yours stops at some top end, its possible its not the bearing. Mine was very distinct and when they put it up on the hoist and increased the speed it became obvious it was the bearing, in fact its became almost hard to listen to around 65 to 70 mph as the frequency increased into a very high pitched and loud whine. They did tell me that the only way to properly diagnose it was to put it on a hoist and accelerate the car to localize the sound. If your guys didnt do that I would ask them to.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by cmasten
the symptom for the bearing is the whining sound at a certain speed (about 25-30 mph for me) and then it continues as the car accelerates, if yours stops at some top end, its possible its not the bearing. Mine was very distinct and when they put it up on the hoist and increased the speed it became obvious it was the bearing, in fact its became almost hard to listen to around 65 to 70 mph as the frequency increased into a very high pitched and loud whine. They did tell me that the only way to properly diagnose it was to put it on a hoist and accelerate the car to localize the sound. If your guys didnt do that I would ask them to.
Thank you for your input.

They already put it up on the hoist, but sadly to no prevail.

Last edited by kjyc; 10-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
UPDATE: finally got the mechanic to hear the sound, and was able to diagnose as a worn carrier planetary gear set within the of the transfer case (about time); work done included installing support under transfer case, replace rear mount and support bracket, and replace planetary gear set.

But you're not gonna believe this: took it out for a spin back home and the car is still making a weird sound, like a deeper tone to the original whining sound heard.... similar conditions: upon acceleration, very brief.

Another symptom to add, car was left on neutral, then put into drive and without even stepping on the gas pedal, car rolls forward and makes the sound

Will post a YouTube video soon....

Unbelievable
Old 10-13-2014, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Might just be the new transfer case needs to break in...