GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Bi-Xenon H/L USA vs. Euro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Bi-Xenon H/L USA vs. Euro

On American market vehicles, the bi-xenon headlights have a very bright flash to pass bulb which is only for that purpose. In Euro market vehicles, is this bulb actually a high beam? From past experience with a Saab we owned, the Euro lamps were this way. Someone figured out a neat trick whereby the flash to pass on the USA market vehicles would stay illuminated. Any comments are appreciated!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
The high beam on the bi-xenon is generated by actually moving a shutter within the bulb system. A fill-in lamp is used to illuminate the side area. The xenon is not like a normal bulb, it has no filament. The ballast actually starts an electric arc, like welding, between two electrodes. The ballast creates a very high voltage which ionizes the Xenon and generates this arc. However, this takes time. Because of the long start time to initiate the arc within the bulb, bi-xenon's with out the shutter cannot be used as high beams. It would take to long to start and your flash would be over. So flashing the lights moves the shutter. You would not want to defeat this or you might as well just drive with the high beams on. On earlier bi-xenon's, such as my old '99 GLK, you only had Xenon low beams as the shutter had not been developed yet.
The other advantage of the shutter is that it creates a very sharp cut-off for low beams.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 PM

2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
I was under the impression that the inboard lamp was only flash to pass but I now see my thinking was flawed. As mentioned about the Saabs, the bi-xenon had the shutter for high & low but the inboard halogen would not stay illuminated on high. In other markets, not USA, the halogen remained illuminated & the trick was to get them to light on high.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... or use not OEM chinese headlights with drive curtain inside lense.. Bi-focal lenses..
Old 11-25-2014, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by bop11
The high beam on the bi-xenon is generated by actually moving a shutter within the bulb system. A fill-in lamp is used to illuminate the side area. The xenon is not like a normal bulb, it has no filament. The ballast actually starts an electric arc, like welding, between two electrodes. The ballast creates a very high voltage which ionizes the Xenon and generates this arc. However, this takes time. Because of the long start time to initiate the arc within the bulb, bi-xenon's with out the shutter cannot be used as high beams. It would take to long to start and your flash would be over. So flashing the lights moves the shutter. You would not want to defeat this or you might as well just drive with the high beams on. On earlier bi-xenon's, such as my old '99 GLK, you only had Xenon low beams as the shutter had not been developed yet.
The other advantage of the shutter is that it creates a very sharp cut-off for low beams.

Good info; thanks...