GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Another Trailer Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Another Trailer Hitch Question

My dealer quoted me $2200- $2400 to add an oem hitch to my US spec 2013 GLK350 4-matic. He was vague on the breakdown between parts and labor. I'd like to do some more research on the costs. Can someone provide me with the part numbers or a link to a parts list for the OEM hitch system?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 11:37 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by Mike_W
My dealer quoted me $2200- $2400 to add an oem hitch to my US spec 2013 GLK350 4-matic. He was vague on the breakdown between parts and labor. I'd like to do some more research on the costs. Can someone provide me with the part numbers or a link to a parts list for the OEM hitch system?
Thanks,
Mike
A number of us self-installed the Hidden Hitch from Etrailer.com. I installed it myself last month and it's mainly used as a bike carrier. The hitch itself is about $220 with free shipping and after a 5% discount code you can find at retailmenot.com. It's a 2 inch hitch.

Frankly, I do not know if there is a towing difference or any significant difference (except for design) between the OEM and the Hidden Hitch.

I installed the Hidden Hitch in about 1.5 hours. Need 2 people for sure, as the other person will need to hold the hitch in place, while the other screws on the bolts. It's rated a 3 out of 10 difficulty. No new holes to drill.

If you don't can't or don't want to install it yourself, you could always go to Pepboys or similar place and see what they charge. It's really an easy installation. Just line up the bolts and tighten.

If you're not sold yet and still want to spend the extra $2K, check out this website for the breakdown of the hitch.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Here is a link to the 2012 hitch kit. 2013 hitch design did change but the price is about the same.
http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/Merced...043101295.html Big question is whether you need the SAM module which is another $600.00 MOL. I was told by the dealership that it was not needed on our 2010 model. OEM hitch installation does require removal of the rr bumper etc. but not certain what the flat rate is on it.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 PM

rocketd55, Rascally Wabbit,
Thank you both for your quick replies. I have been looking at the aftermarket hitches, too. Based on the info available, I would be comfortable doing the self install, should we go that route. Rocketd55, one of the nice features of the oem hitch is that it does not protrude out very far when not in use. My wife had bad experiences running into the hitch receiver on our old Jeep Grand Cherokee, where the hitch stuck way out the back for both ease of use and (no kidding) to reduce the likelihood of a fuel tank rupture in a rear end collision.
So the long question is - does the Hidden Hitch receiver stick out further than the rear bumper?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 PM

GLK
rocketd55, Rascally Wabbit,
Thank you both for your quick replies. I have been looking at the aftermarket hitches, too. Based on the info available, I would be comfortable doing the self install, should we go that route. Rocketd55, one of the nice features of the oem hitch is that it does not protrude out very far when not in use. My wife had bad experiences running into the hitch receiver on our old Jeep Grand Cherokee, where the hitch stuck way out the back for both ease of use and (no kidding) to reduce the likelihood of a fuel tank rupture in a rear end collision.
So the long question is - does the Hidden Hitch receiver stick out further than the rear bumper?
Thanks,
Mike
The aftermarket hitch is named "Hidden Hitch" for a reason. It does not protrude out from the back when no bike carrier is on. I attached pictures of my installation and then with the bike carrier. I do not tow or haul anything. I mainly use for a bike carrier in the summer. This is my first hitch experience. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help, because I too searched the forums for advice before picking the Hidden Hitch.
Attached Thumbnails Another Trailer Hitch Question-10-5-14-allen-bike-carrier.jpg   Another Trailer Hitch Question-10-5-14-hidden-hitch.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport Calcite White / Black Anthracite
Thanks,
Mike
"$2200- $2400" to install a trailer hitch?!

Have you tried U-Haul? "If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!" is their tag line.

Round Tube Rec. (Powder Coat) ; Class 3 hitch ; Max weight: 4,000 lbs is $219.95 + install. http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Trailer-Hitches/
Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by GMTB
"$2200- $2400" to install a trailer hitch?!
Thanks GMTB, I have been looking at the U-Haul and other aftermarket brands (apparently they are all made by the same manufacturer).

The MB dealer cost is for parts and installation. The components of the MB hitch system are very expensive and includes changes to the vehicle electronics like the back-up camera, so it is much more than a U-Haul installation.

Some folks on the forum have successfully self installed the main mechanical parts of the OEM hitch and swear by them.

The leading aftermarket hitches are more straight forward self install, and many forum members are quite happy with them.

So the question to me is value. I would prefer the OEM system that is integrated into the truck - but not a the full oem price.

If I can find the OEM mechanical parts at a reasonable cost (one on eBay right now at $400 + but will not fit a 2013) I'll go that route, otherwise I'll put on an aftermarket hitch.
Mike
Old 11-10-2014, 04:51 PM

2015 GLK 250 o3 clk 430 09 c 300
I found a Hidden Hitch on Kijji for $150 and a wire kit for $89 from Action truck World, 2 people are needed for sure , but it is a piece of cake to install.
My dealer also quoted me $2200 , but was going to kiss me after
Old 11-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tqracn
My dealer also quoted me $2200 , but was going to kiss me after

All my dealer offered me was a free car wash .
Mike
Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport Calcite White / Black Anthracite
@ Mike_W: Thanks for the heads-up about the backup camera.

I think if / when I decide to install a trailer hitch + backup camera ... U-Haul for the trailer hitch and a reputable car audio business for backup camera install.

I'm curious what my local dealer will charge. Headed to the dealer tomorrow to find out.

"Hooray! A task!" - Todd
Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM

I have a 2010 Glk350 that I have installed a tow kit on by CURT. The hitch was very easy to install... Now the problem is that I have installed a tow wiring kit modules for the trailer lights.. i can't get the lights to work...I took it to a Uhaul installer and he could not get it to work either after two failed attempts with two wiring module kits. A Mercedes mechanic says that there is another module that I must get from the dealer in order to get lights to the trailer...Can somebody help me?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:42 PM

2015 GLK 250 o3 clk 430 09 c 300
We got a Curt Kit and it works great. There are 2 wires that have to be connected to work.You do not need a module from benz.You need a Indy who works on a Benz
Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM

ML320
u Haul Fiasco

Tho not a GLK class owner I want to share my experience with U Haul in case others consider it.

I went searching for a hitch for my 2012 M class late last year after getting the OEM quote from my dealer. Using the U-Haul web site I found and ordered a Class 3 hitch and scheduled installation at my local U-Haul center.

Problem 1: After mounting the hitch the installer explained he couldn't wire it; no harness available for my rig.

Problem 2: Day after install, the AdBlue warning came on. I added DEF but the warning continued. Took to dealer. Hitch installer had lowered the rear of the DEF tank to install the hitch and, in the process, broke the connection from DEF tank to supply line. Crystallized DEF everywhere; $1400 repair.

Problem 3: Noticed a rattling noise from rear. Dealer found hitch installer had cut and removed a portion of the heat shield to install the hitch. Not enough shield left to properly attach it. Still rattles.

U-Haul has denied my claims so we're off to arbitration next.

Dealer related similar experience by one of their customers owning a GLK.

Ed
'12ML350 BT