GLK shakes when braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Exclamation GLK shakes when braking

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2012 GLK350 and am noticing significant shaking when i brake at 60mph+. I had the car inspected and also had the dealer do a quick look over and they said the brakes are fine. After doing a little research, I found that the problem could be rusty rotors, and quite possibly even a clean spot where the pad sits making the braking feel uneven.(The car had been sitting on the lot for a month or 2 before I purchased it). The steering wheel doesn't shake which makes me think maybe it's just the rear brakes. It also feels like a back and forth pulsing/shaking, not like a side to side motion.

I also spoke with some friends who do a lot of work on their own cars. They mentioned it might be warped brake rotors.

My questions are:
A. If the rotors are rusty, will it wear down after driving and braking? I've had the car for a week and have not noticed a difference yet.

B. If it is a warped rotor/rotors how much is that to fix and should I take it to the MB dealer for service or can I just go to a decent garage?

C. I'll be driving out of state next week (about 700 miles) and am concerned for my safety! Is this something I need to have fixed before I go?

Thanks so much!!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLE 350
My 2010 GLK has warped front rotors and whenever I fix it, it comes back within a month or two. I am too lazy to go back to the shop so I just ignore the shaking. Been driving on warped rotors for 5 months now.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Do you have the service history on this vehicle? how many miles? Rusty rotors usually clean off within a mile or two and do not usually cause this type of problem. All rotors will get rusty if the car is not driven for a couple of day or even hours and it is rainy. If the car sat for a month it still should not have this problem. The fact that it is front to back and not side to side points more to struts and bushings.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by howardx
My 2010 GLK has warped front rotors and whenever I fix it, it comes back within a month or two. I am too lazy to go back to the shop so I just ignore the shaking. Been driving on warped rotors for 5 months now.

This cannot be a good idea.

Try non-OEM rotors or something, but brakes are the one thing you want to work perfectly...
Old 11-11-2014, 12:52 PM
skr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK350 4matic/ '05 BMW e46/'20 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
My 2010 was doing the same thing, the rotors are warped. The stock rotors have a high iron content and they tend to warp & rust easily. Dealer said they don't recommend resurfacing these rotors just replacement. When my rotors warped I still had a lot of life left in my pads, so I continued to drive it for 15K miles before I changed them. Other than the vibration I didn't sense a safety issue. I just changed the Rotors & Pads on mine and they feel so much better now. I went with an aftermarket setup that I'm really happy with. You can see the details of that in this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-calipers.html