GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Noise with rear passenger window down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK350 4Matic, Premium, Lighting, multimedia, AMG Styling, Lane tracking pkg.
Noise with rear passenger window down

Has anyone driven with the rear passenger side window down and heard what sounded like a helicopter rotor blade noise coming from the outside rear of vehicle? Happened today at 65 mph. The VERY LOUD swooshing noise seems to start around 30 mph. Had to close the window, couldn't stand the noise. Don't hear anything when windows are closed. 2013 GLK350 4Matic, 15000 mi.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Unfortunately it's a fact of life with that design car. My '11 and all of them do it. Nothing you can do but experiment with various settings of all the windows. First time it happened to me I thought my eardrums would blow out before I could close the windows. More superb German engineering.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 mercedes benz glk350 4matic
Originally Posted by PONCH179
Has anyone driven with the rear passenger side window down and heard what sounded like a helicopter rotor blade noise coming from the outside rear of vehicle? Happened today at 65 mph. The VERY LOUD swooshing noise seems to start around 30 mph. Had to close the window, couldn't stand the noise. Don't hear anything when windows are closed. 2013 GLK350 4Matic, 15000 mi.
Same thing happens to me but i only hear it when i only have one window down
Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLK 350
Crack another window?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
What you are feeling is a depressurization and then pressurization of the interior. The air flowing across the open window is like blowing over a straw. Air is extracted from the interior of the vehicle until the interior pressure becomes so low that it overcomes the venturi effect and makes the air stream bend into the vehicle to re-pressurize. Once pressure equalizes inside and outside it starts again. Cracking a front window usually will eliminate this. Modern cars are made to run with closed windows as this is more fuel efficient with less drag. That venturi sucks energy.
If I run with the top open and the front drivers window open, I get the opposite effect. Pressure first then out flow. I usually need to crack the rear window to allow for flow through the vehicle as the built in flow-through openings are not big enough to handle this volume of air.
Why do you want to run with only one back window open?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLK 350
Originally Posted by bop11
What you are feeling is a depressurization and then pressurization of the interior. The air flowing across the open window is like blowing over a straw. Air is extracted from the interior of the vehicle until the interior pressure becomes so low that it overcomes the venturi effect and makes the air stream bend into the vehicle to re-pressurize. Once pressure equalizes inside and outside it starts again. Cracking a front window usually will eliminate this. Modern cars are made to run with closed windows as this is more fuel efficient with less drag. That venturi sucks energy.
If I run with the top open and the front drivers window open, I get the opposite effect. Pressure first then out flow. I usually need to crack the rear window to allow for flow through the vehicle as the built in flow-through openings are not big enough to handle this volume of air.
Why do you want to run with only one back window open?
If pulls a fart out the farthest end of a car from you.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by reyrey11
Same thing happens to me but i only hear it when i only have one window down
Originally Posted by Ben Conner
Crack another window?

Right; cracking a second window or the sunroof will fix it...