GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

article on the new four-cylinder diesel engine

Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 250 AMG in Polar White
article on the new four-cylinder diesel engine

Hello everyone....especially all you GLK 250 owners!

I stumbled across the following article that discusses some of the particulars on this highly engineered TwinTurbo in-line four-cylinder diesel engine. Explains the modular manufacturing that is cutting-edge and a very large investment for Mercedes-Benz...as it seems that they're going to be installing this engine into a number of different Mercedes-Benz models.

I'd like to find out more about the construction of this engine. They say the fuel train is a fourth generation version that sends delivery and pressure diesel to the injectors which of themselves have been redesigned. Furthermore they show the crank case to be made of cast-iron. The reason for this choice of material I believe is the pressure capabilities of the cast-iron material. Further discussed the engine cylinder head's been manufactured in just-in-time but no mention of the alloy use for the cylinder heads. I have also seen some discussion regarding the hardened steel use for the Pistons themselves. From what I understand the reason behind this is to use the thermal expansion of the two dissimilar materials to reduce friction. My problem is I haven't seen anything really definitive about this Engine in print. There are some nice illustrations here on the engine as well as a video in 3-D with the engine operation which is very interesting! If anyone has any further information on this engine please post! good luck to all thanks

http://www.mercedesclass.net/safety-...-generation/2/