GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Pano Sunroof Shatters for no Apparent Reason

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250
Pano Sunroof Shatters for no Apparent Reason

I was driving to the highway in my 14 250GLK and I heard a loud pop.

There were no other cars on the road so I figured the noise came from my car.

Next I heard what sounded like a window was not quite shut all the way.

I checked all four--all good.

We pulled over and saw that the entire pano sunroof had shattered but it was still in place (see roof1 & roof2 attached photos).

We call our dealer and he said to bring it in ASAP and he would organize a loan car.

We were about two hours away so we heading in hoping we could dodge the rain.

About 15 minutes into our return a couple of small pieces of glass were missing from the roof as we looked through the retractable sunshade.

Another fifteen minutes most of the roof flies off. (see roof3)

We made to the dealer minutes ahead of the rail. (roof4 is picture from the outside)

Questions--Has anyone seen this before on a Benz?
There was not any traffic or overpasses that could be the source of something hitting the roof. Temp was in the mid 60s F. Road was smooth and the speed was not excessive (75-80mph).

Any pointers to avoid this going forward other than a new rabbits foot?

How do I prove this is a defect instead of an insurance claim?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Attached Thumbnails Pano Sunroof Shatters for no Apparent Reason-roof1.jpg   Pano Sunroof Shatters for no Apparent Reason-roof2.jpg   Pano Sunroof Shatters for no Apparent Reason-roof3.jpg   Pano Sunroof Shatters for no Apparent Reason-roof4.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM

2012 MB GLK350
Just a WAG: maybe an object "fell" on the sunroof? Glad to hear passengers are OK and dealer is now on it to fix it. best of luck.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Wow; never heard of anything like that.

Glad nobody was hurt.

That glass is tempered, which sometimes creates stress points. Changing temperature or physical shocks can make the glass shatter.

BTW, most insurance companies have a no-deductible glass replacement policy so you may still be OK if the dealership doesn't cover it.

Good luck...
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Defective = Warranty
Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 PM

GLK350 2014
shattered sunroof

Originally Posted by 4bobo
I was driving to the highway in my 14 250GLK and I heard a loud pop.

There were no other cars on the road so I figured the noise came from my car.

Next I heard what sounded like a window was not quite shut all the way.

I checked all four--all good.

We pulled over and saw that the entire pano sunroof had shattered but it was still in place (see roof1 & roof2 attached photos).

We call our dealer and he said to bring it in ASAP and he would organize a loan car.

We were about two hours away so we heading in hoping we could dodge the rain.

About 15 minutes into our return a couple of small pieces of glass were missing from the roof as we looked through the retractable sunshade.

Another fifteen minutes most of the roof flies off. (see roof3)

We made to the dealer minutes ahead of the rail. (roof4 is picture from the outside)

Questions--Has anyone seen this before on a Benz?
There was not any traffic or overpasses that could be the source of something hitting the roof. Temp was in the mid 60s F. Road was smooth and the speed was not excessive (75-80mph).

Any pointers to avoid this going forward other than a new rabbits foot?

How do I prove this is a defect instead of an insurance claim?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Reply: The same thing happened to my GLK350 2014. I was driving like at 55mph and all of the sudden i heard an explosion in my SUV and I stopped to see if anything hit the car but the only thing broken was the sunroof which was completely shattered for no apparent reason.
I went to the Mercedes dealer and the service adviser could not see anything that can point him that it was an external object that broke the sunroof.
I will let you know sometime this week if it went under warranty. But if they make me pay for it, they will meet my lawyer.

Hope everything goes ok with your situation.
Sincerely,
Jorge Y
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM

GLK350 2014
Reply: The same thing happened to my GLK350 2014. I was driving like at 55mph and all of the sudden i heard an explosion in my SUV and I stopped to see if anything hit the car but the only thing broken was the sunroof which was completely shattered for no apparent reason.
I went to the Mercedes dealer and the service adviser could not see anything that can point him that it was an external object that broke the sunroof.
I will let you know sometime this week if it went under warranty. But if they make me pay for it, they will meet my lawyer.

Sincerely,
Jorge Y
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
I think it'll be covered under warranty.

There was a big issue with this on the Hyundai Veloster a year or two ago. They were shattering for no reason, and was proven to be a design flaw along with a subsequent recall.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
This happened to our '13 but it was the smaller front panel just above the windshield, forward of the main sunroof panel. Dealer would not replace under warranty (Hyatt MB in Calgary...shocker). Repaired at a cost of over $1200 out of my pocket...

If it happens again, the car goes down the road, too stressful waiting for it to shatter again.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 AM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by bigd69
This happened to our '13 but it was the smaller front panel just above the windshield, forward of the main sunroof panel. Dealer would not replace under warranty (Hyatt MB in Calgary...shocker). Repaired at a cost of over $1200 out of my pocket...

If it happens again, the car goes down the road, too stressful waiting for it to shatter again.
Lone Star isnt any better, yet i feel you couldve made a bigger shietstorm with MB Canada involved.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Hyatt and Lone Star are both absolutely horrible dealerships. That being said, I agree - I'd have raised issue with MB Canada for sure.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
I wanted to tint the pano as well as the front windows. I asked if I can have it tinted 30% or lower and the tint shop said it can absorb heat that the pano might shatter. so, just had it lightly tinted.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It is spontaneous breakage! I am in the glass business and spontaneous breakage on tempered glass is somewhat rare but does happen. Tempered glass is heated just like the rear glass and side glass of a car. Windshield is made by a different process. Your pano is defective if it experiences spontaneous breakage. Nothing hit it. Sometimes it will break if the glass experiences very high temps.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 PM

GLK350
Same here

Originally Posted by jorgey

Sincerely,
Jorge Y
Had the exact issue today with my 2013 GLK. I'm still under warranty but with it being the weekend no response from mbusa yet. Did they cover you under your warranty?