Need help asap! car seat issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glk 350
Need help asap! car seat issues

Hey Guys,

So I'm trying to install an infant car seat in my vehicle 2010 glk350. I want to place it in the middle rear seat but the base does not fit properly due to the seat belt buckles. It sits on one of the buckles and because of that cannot be tightened properly. It only fits on the outer side rear seats. When i read the mercedes manual it seems to talk about placing it on the outer rear seats only, not the middle? The middle is the safest place to fit the carseat.

Is there anyway I can get it to fit in the middle? If there was a way to push in the seat buckle into the seat i think it would fit. Or even remove the buckle? My main concern is safety. I even went to a carseat clinic to get help and they said the only way it would fit is on the sides due to the seatbelt buckle. They tried to push the buckles in with no luck either.

Any ideas? frustrated over here. Disappointed with mercedes!
Any help/advice appreciated.

edit: Its a peg perego 30/30 car seat that I have.

Last edited by accurately; 11-26-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Why not just use the seatbelt itself to secure the car seat? The seat belt will lock if you pull the belt fully and will tighten without releasing it from the latch then use the back anchors on the back seat to secure it more.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
If I read this correctly, the seat will not sit down in the back because the seat belt buckles are in the way. I would put a pad under the car seat in front of the seat belt buckles. You can still use the child seat clips (one from the left side and one from the right side) to secure the seat in place. Even if you place the seat over the buckles, you can still attach the seat with the clips. The child seat might till forward a small amount.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM

none
I think if the carseat won't sit flat because of the buckles your best choice is to use the outer seats.

If it sits on the buckles you can't tighten it. And I would avoid using a pad to raise the seat. I mean how much would you have to raise it to clear the buckles? It seems like it'd be a significant amount.

Sounds like you are stuck with the outer seats.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Glk 350
thanks for the replies.

So I ended up doing alot of research and it looks like with mercedes vehicles the infant car seat should be put in the outer seats not middle area. Technically a car has to have 6 latch points if you were able to put the seat in the middle. Of course this is using the isofix latch system. Alot of people use the outer latches to fit the seat in the middle but technically that is not the correct way to install it safely.

In regards to the GLK specifically it looks like I cannot get a secure fit in the middle even if I use the seatbelt to secure since the carseat will not sit flat (the buckles are in the way and the area is too narrow). I have a pad for underneath and if anything that makes it worse as it moves side to side more.

So its better to be securely on the outer rear seats then have a poor fit in the middle rear seat. Looks like I am stuck putting the car seat on the outer.

Here is a good article explaining things. There seems to be alot of confusion with proper installation of car seats. They say 2/3 car seats are not installed properly!

Anyways for those interested or that have kids may want to check this out:
http://thecarseatlady.com/using-latc...nter-overview/