Wondering about this issue with my hydraulic tailgate nearly trapping my head

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MLK350
Wondering about this issue with my hydraulic tailgate nearly trapping my head

Hi -
I realize this may be a strange problem to ask about, but since I have been perusing these forums, there is a lot of knowledge here.

Today I was loading up the cargo area of my GLK. I had put my keys in my coat pocket while loading and was wearing a fairly roomy coat. As I reached far in to adjust some bags, my key fob must have hit something in my cargo space and the tailgate started to close. I was in a somewhat noisy area and it was raining and I didn't realize it was closing until the tailgate was probably ⅔ down. I felt it hit my upper back and I kind of panicked. It did not stop moving and I was lifting my head against it. It did not immediately stop and I quickly squeezed myself underneath it in a very uncomfortable position. I was stunned at the amount of force I had to exert to stop it.

Assuming there must surely be something wrong with my door I looked in the instruction manual and couldn't find anything that said there was a beam that would not allow the tailgate to close if there was anything in the way. In fact, there were all sorts of warnings about not closing it unless everything is clear, but nothing saying it wouldn't start closing or would immediately stop if it hit something.

My dad has a Honda Odyssey and if you are getting in and he tries to shut that hydraulic door, it will immediately stop if it senses a hand or finger in the way.

After getting over my initial shock and thinking surely I was not understanding how this worked, I went back to my SUV and did a trial. I opened the door using my key fob and then pushed the red button to close. As it was closing, I had to exert a great deal of force to stop the motion of the door. If that was a kid sitting there or a dog, they would not stand a chance.

I contacted my local Mercedes dealer who didn't really get it. I then contacted Mercedes USA who said they would have an area service agent call me.

I loan my car out to my kids and a woman who works for me and am scared this could happen to them. I am taking it in tomorrow to have this feature disabled. I am also in a great deal of pain from the door coming down on my neck. I see the chiropractor and MD tomorrow after contacting them by phone tonight.

Has anyone had a similar experience? For a car that I bought because it supposedly had all the latest and greatest safety features, I am feeling quite discouraged.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
One time I put my backpack in the rear of my GLK with my key in it and hit the close button. Halfway through it closing I realized that my key was about to be locked in so I grabbed the hatch to stop it. I can say it took way more force to stop it then any other car I have owned with an electrically actuated hatch. I don't think it ever stopped. I was just able to hold it in place to grab my bag and then it continued to close when I let go.

Most cars sense the current required to close the hatch/window. If there is a spike in current it detects that an obstacle is in the way and stops the movement.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Have you ever forgotten that the gate was automatic and lifted or lowered the gate by hand? If so you will note that the gate move up or down with a ratchet sound. That sound is a clutch on the drive gear so that, should someone forget or the tail gate hit an object it will not destroy the motor or drive train. Unlike current sensors or magic eye beams, the clutch has to be set fairly high to be able to lift with snow or ice on the gate. However, unless something wierd happens, the clutch will keep the gate from decapatating or cutting off an arm or digit. Sensors are great but do fail where clutch lock-up if very rare, the failure mode being that the gate does not go up or down.
The gate will not lock down unless a switch is made in the latch mechanism insuring should something keep the gate from closing completely, you can still manually open it.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by RSNovi
One time I put my backpack in the rear of my GLK with my key in it and hit the close button. Halfway through it closing I realized that my key was about to be locked in so I grabbed the hatch to stop it. I can say it took way more force to stop it then any other car I have owned with an electrically actuated hatch. I don't think it ever stopped. I was just able to hold it in place to grab my bag and then it continued to close when I let go.

Most cars sense the current required to close the hatch/window. If there is a spike in current it detects that an obstacle is in the way and stops the movement.
I left my key in a jacket in the trunk once. Tried closing it and it wouldnt. Had to think about whats wrong until i realized the key is inside. It is nearly impossible to lock the vehicle while the key is inside.