More tire questions for MB GLK 250BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
More tire questions for MB GLK 250BT

I wanted to ask for advice concerning Tire Upgrades

Currently have stock tires from my purchase of my MB GLK 250BT, the Dunlop's that came with the vehicle new. Vehicle is USA spec Run Flats.
In the last year ,there are multiple tire manufacturers that currently have
235/50/R-19 that are RunFlat or designated in various terms MOE,PAX,etc.
I have used Tire Rack as a source to determine the right tire.
In my research ,I find that Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus has rated 800AA
and the tread is more aggressive as an All Season rating.
My local tire dealer assures me that he can beat most On-line purchased tires deals.This dealer has been my Independent Local source of all my tires for 15 years...& thus far satisfied with his info...He can get me any tire brand I wish...& the best deal once a decision has been made...
Further research shows various tires from Michelin ,Pirelli have suitable replacement.I still plan to have 4 Run flats on my vehicle.
The key question : a better more aggressive All season Tread with better wear warranty. The Dunlops are excellent but the tread wear comes up short with earlier replacement.despite all the negatives for MOE run flats.
Possibly a (senior member) or other member with MB GLK of MBWorld can provide input on this matter.An actual experienced MB person can address my question in more detail....
Old 01-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 GLK 250 BT
I actually have targeted 2 NON run flats:

1. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus
2. Continental Cross Contact LX 20 (in the next closer size 255/50/19, do not have the exact size)

I have #2 on a much heavier 12 VW Touareg TDI and not only are they well rated in their segment, but the wear so far is excellent. They are however $164 MORE than #1.

So not to convince you to SWITCH, it seems the premium for RUN FLATS are: 1. higher price, 2. shorter wear, 3. harder ride 4. less over all tire performance.

I went to the (my) local tire guru to get the oem Dunlops run flats rotated @ 15,000 miles (5,000 miles rotation cycle on a oem 10,000 miles recommendation) and they thought it way premature to say or quote BASED on very low wear. (over 15,000 miles per 1/32nd in). The drill here is tire oems change tires on a much shorter interval. One that is excellent right now can actually change ratings positions in as little as 6 months.

Last edited by Rdub; 01-23-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250
I 'm curious as to the number of tires which are MOE or run flat in the 235/50 x 19
size. Tire Rack only shows the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek. I see that if you go to a 245/45
x 19 you have a dozen or more choices. The 245 size is about a 1/2" smaller diameter
so your speedo will read about 2% higher. Has anyone tried this size as a replacement?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Staying with the proper size 235/50/R-19

Originally Posted by rmeier1
I 'm curious as to the number of tires which are MOE or run flat in the 235/50 x 19
size. Tire Rack only shows the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek. I see that if you go to a 245/45
x 19 you have a dozen or more choices. The 245 size is about a 1/2" smaller diameter
so your speedo will read about 2% higher. Has anyone tried this size as a replacement?
It has been almost one year since my purchase of my MB GLK250BT,in that year the production of run flat tires ,there are many tire manufacturers, Name brands that are producing the 235/50/R-19 . My decision in future replacement will include all the factors to my liking...I am getting good tread life from the Dunlop GrandTrek OEM run flats . The ride has been excellent & the GLK250BT has adapted to the changes in Diesel fuel prices .
Most of all ,I have had the vehicle's tires rotated & there has been even wear.
I have not been able to control the weather & have been vigilant of pot holes.
It been a good year of research,upgrades & advice.
I will stay with the run flats and be hopeful to get my next set of 4 tires.