GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 - Diesel fuel gelled on me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Pewter C32
2014 GLK 250 - Diesel fuel gelled on me

I have a 2014 GLK250 with a production date of 01/09/14 and delivery date of 02/11/14 with about 8K miles on the odometer. I am in north-east PA and the other day the overnight temperature dropped down to -9' (F), /The next day the car would start and run for about 2 seconds and shut off. I had the car towed to my MB dealer and they put the car inside and had it sitting for 2 days. I was told that there were a total of 5 GLK250's w/same problem. When I picked up the car I was told that the fuel had gelled. I called my gas station and was told that the diesel is only winterized to 0' (F)
I asked the dealer about adding winterizer to the fuel and was told that officially they are not allowed to recommend any winterizer. Having owned a couple of MB diesel cars about 25-30yrs ago, I remember having once the same problem and after that using a winter additive to the diesel at each fill-up.
Having researched this, I came up with a product called Stanadyne winter 1000 which would take 2 ounces per fill-up.
What are you guys recommending? Especially you guys in Canada were the temperature is extremely cold.
Thanks for your help

Last edited by PBenz32; 02-21-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
Always use additive

In Quebec, the temperature was -20 Celsius for all of January and February.(Day time high, so -35 cel in the morning)

After the fuel gelled last year (first winter with the GLK) the DEALERSHIP said I would have to use an additive.

I use PowerService (with the red cap, not the 911). a few ounces per fill up.
Anywhere below 0 (F) and you risk gelling.

Fuel is supposed to be -40 here in the winter, but the problem is if the service station orders late or doesn't turn over their fuel fast enough, there will be too much summer diesel mixed in. Once I find I have no problems with fuel at a station, I try to stick with them. From experience, the dependants have better turnover than the Big 4 here.

Note, as it wasn't really that cold, you could have put a hair dryer to the fuel filter for a few hours, .... might have worked. The fuel isn't probably gelling in the tank (I hope) but rather in the line or especially the fuel filter (since it runs a bit then shuts off).

Last edited by fcch; 02-21-2015 at 10:11 AM.