GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 glk 250 gasket from hell issue

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
2014 glk 250 gasket from hell issue

Hi there, had my glk 250 in for a 15k service and shortly after the recall fix.
Car comes back after recall fix and has wheezing sound (mentioned on another thread).
Took it back and they told me another gasket had come loose (from the factory) and it needed to be replaced.
Ok, but 3 weeks later the part is not available anywhere (Canada, States and even Germany!!) It is back ordered until April now.
Service (actually fix operation manager) came back and told me he found a solution and the solution is to put in a sprinter gasket that he says will be 99% as effective as the appropriate GLK gasket.
They are saying that they have gotten the approval of MB to do this and this fix is temporary until the appropriate gasket comes in by April (which will be swapped out then).
My question is has anyone else had this happen? Should I trust them to do this "swap"?
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
I would insist for a loaner until the part is available, don't agree with the quick fix.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
I'd do the temporary swap. The 'right' gasket is most likely an improved version of the ones in the older Sprinters. After all, it's the same engine. They probably discovered something a bit better either for longevity or functionality with the newer gasket. Easy to tell you to get into a fight when the adviser doesn't have to do the fighting. If that gasket from the Sprinter worked for it initially, it should work just fine while awaiting the improved model.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM

2014 GLK 250
I have a loaner now and have had one since day 1.
They have been really good with me, except with getting the gasket. Which seems to be beyond their control, but very strange in todays day and age of things being so easy to get.
I think I will insist the "approval fix" is in writing from MB just to cover anything if something goes bad down the road.
Thanks for the quick advice.
So the sprinter and GLK share the same diesel engine?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nuhouse
The Sprinters have used the 651 engine since 2008. Not sure of the designation for the 3.0 six cylinder diesel they also use. The 651 is now going into the E class vehicles.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by Nuhouse
I have a loaner now and have had one since day 1.
They have been really good with me, except with getting the gasket. Which seems to be beyond their control, but very strange in todays day and age of things being so easy to get.
I think I will insist the "approval fix" is in writing from MB just to cover anything if something goes bad down the road.
Thanks for the quick advice.
Make sure the writing includes language such as "Mercedes USA will be held liable if the gasket causes unsafe operation of vehicle"

This covers you (incase you cause an accident) if the part turns out bad
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM

2014 GLK 250
Ok, so funny turn of events.
The part that was so hard to come by miraculously appeared and my car has been fixed.
I find it weird that they had a substitute part that would work, so I am wondering if they didn't just use that "substitute" part and are claiming it is the long awaited original replacement.
Anyway I can confirm this?
Or should I just pick up the car and service receipt and have it as my claim later should anything bad arise later as a result?
Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:19 PM

I was told by my service adviser just last week that the part was a simple 'O' ring in the front of the engine. Mine was not part of the recall. I believe it can cause an oil leak if it fails. Don't see how there is any safety issue nor do I see Mercedes assuming any additional liability by adding anything to any statement or bill. They're on the hook by common law if their product fails and/or causes injury.

My perception is that there is a lot more being made of this than there should be.