Radio Sound Cuts Out After 1-2 Seconds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Radio Sound Cuts Out After 1-2 Seconds

Hi all,

A strange event. Yesterday, while driving about during errands, I had no sound from the radio. Neither AM nor FM nor SAT, etc. Actually, I did get sound on startup, and it lasted 1-2 seconds before cutting off. I tried turning the radio off (which also turns NAV off) and then on again, and would again get sound for 1-2 seconds before shutoff. Sound for NAV, etc. worked perfectly, by the way.

Made an appointment at the dealer for this morning, then when starting up to drive in the radio worked just fine. So there's no point going in, I think.

Has anyone had this problem? What gives?

Many thanks for responses.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Sounds like a boot problem. For some reason, it seems like Microsoft lent MB their Blue Screen of Death! If the radio and or screen show problems, and then after 10 or more minutes of key off and removed, it works, it was probably a boot problem. You need to wait 10 minutes for all the power to be removed from the system so it needs to reboot. Any shorter, and the system just picks up where it left off. Turning on and off the knob does not remove main power so, turning off the system for 10 minutes is not the same as turning off the key.
I have had boot problems with the screen about once or twice a year, and separately, with not being able to change Sirius channels but everything else works. Not much you can do except stop at a Starbucks and enjoy a Cappuccino while the system powers down. The dealer will never find it.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 AM

2018 SL450
Originally Posted by bop11
Sounds like a boot problem. For some reason, it seems like Microsoft lent MB their Blue Screen of Death! If the radio and or screen show problems, and then after 10 or more minutes of key off and removed, it works, it was probably a boot problem. You need to wait 10 minutes for all the power to be removed from the system so it needs to reboot. Any shorter, and the system just picks up where it left off. Turning on and off the knob does not remove main power so, turning off the system for 10 minutes is not the same as turning off the key.
I have had boot problems with the screen about once or twice a year, and separately, with not being able to change Sirius channels but everything else works. Not much you can do except stop at a Starbucks and enjoy a Cappuccino while the system powers down. The dealer will never find it.
Ha! Many thanks for the education (I'm a lifelong Mac user, and the "Blue Screen of Death" is unfamiliar to me!)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I had the same problem and all it took was a reboot.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA250
@ Maryland GLK250, I had the same problem, service couldn't fix it. Today it happened again and I found what causes it: WHEN BLUETOOTH IS ON on my iPhone, the RADIO GOES SILENT UPON CONNECTING WITH IPHONE (1-2 seconds). WHEN BLUETOOTH IS TURNED OFF, RADIO AUDIO GOES ON. I tested this by turning bluetooth on and off on my iphone several times, same results. Happens when it's cold, around 32 degrees. When this is happening, and bluetooth is on (radio is silent), dialing out from iphone fails. I turned the car off for 5 minutes and restarted. Dialing out worked, then suddenly, radio sound came on and stayed on . Issue has something to do with connecting with iphone/bluetooth. But, have no idea how to fix it and neither does Mercedes service who said they ran a software patch the last time and it did nothing.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA250
This FIX worked: Go to Audio, Bluetooth, you'll see "Bluetooth device is paused." On iPhone, go to whatever app was last playing through Bluetooth. In my case it was the music app, I clicked the play button on the song that came up when the app opened. Bluetooth music started coming through my radio. SAT, NAVI, AM/FM sources all had sound after I did this! I could also dial out from the Phone with no issues.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:40 PM

2018 SL450
Quick update: Our GLK is now 3 years old, just hit 40K miles, and the issue has NEVER reoccurred.

Just a blip!