GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Front window cams - whats good? Any good stories having one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Front window cams - whats good? Any good stories having one?

I have been thinking i might want a front window camera, no i won't be "peeling out" or driving crazy ( its a diesel after all and no more than usual ) but seriously i am just interested in having one, kind of a fun toy and it can come in handy if its a quick mount/dismount type.

Anyone been playing with these, mounting issues at all? I'd like to avoid hacking up the car for cable runs etc so it needs to be a decent setup.. Be interesed to hear thoughts and stories related.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by GLKpaul
I have been thinking i might want a front window camera, no i won't be "peeling out" or driving crazy ( its a diesel after all and no more than usual ) but seriously i am just interested in having one, kind of a fun toy and it can come in handy if its a quick mount/dismount type.

Anyone been playing with these, mounting issues at all? I'd like to avoid hacking up the car for cable runs etc so it needs to be a decent setup.. Be interesed to hear thoughts and stories related.
I have a cheap dashcam mounted to the black plastic behind the rear view mirror. The cable is easily tucked up inside the headliner along the windshield and down the side, out of sight. It goes under the dash, where i have it plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter hard wired into a wire that gets power only when the car is on. I like it because it doesnt get in the way or cause a blind spot, can be removed easily if necessary, and has no cables showing. I haven't needed it, but almost got hit once when someone ran a light and it would have come in handy then. Buy one on amazon for less than $60 and spend some time installing it so it's not noticeable. The whole idea is to forget it's there until you need it.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by sethro1980
I have a cheap dashcam mounted to the black plastic behind the rear view mirror. The cable is easily tucked up inside the headliner along the windshield and down the side, out of sight. It goes under the dash, where i have it plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter hard wired into a wire that gets power only when the car is on. I like it because it doesnt get in the way or cause a blind spot, can be removed easily if necessary, and has no cables showing. I haven't needed it, but almost got hit once when someone ran a light and it would have come in handy then. Buy one on amazon for less than $60 and spend some time installing it so it's not noticeable. The whole idea is to forget it's there until you need it.
Yes that's the basic plan - sounds like a good setup for the power, what did you use to mount the cam, velcro or double sided tape - it must be fairly small? You should pop up a pic of your setup, I'm intrigued
Old 03-27-2015, 12:11 AM

2013 GLK 350 4Matic

Yes that's the basic plan - sounds like a good setup for the power, what did you use to mount the cam, velcro or double sided tape - it must be fairly small? You should pop up a pic of your setup, I'm intrigued
It came with double sided foam tape, but it couldn't handle the Florida heat and started pulling off within weeks. I ended up buying some exterior trim tape and it has held up in Florida heat and Colorado cold. I'll see about photos. This is cheap peace of mind... accident, carjacking, unreasonable police officer... if someone can spend $50k on a car they can certainly afford less than $80 for the camera and 12 volt receptacle and an hour of their time.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I put an Ojocam Mini 0801. I think it's the Pro 0803 now. It's very small and includes a gps. It uses a micro-sd card so you can expand capacity as well as pop it out to review in your TV or computer. I read a hundred reviews before settling on this one. It had the highest resolution and good sensitivity in low light without spending a fortune - around $100

I tucked it against the top of the windshield to the right of the mirror. The power cord easily tucked along the edge down to the glove box and the power source there. They sell an additional power cord that splices into a 12v power line so the 12v receptacle in the glove box stays free.

I've had it close to a year and it works well. The 16gb card it came with stores about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM

2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I put an Ojocam Mini 0801. I think it's the Pro 0803 now. It's very small and includes a gps. It uses a micro-sd card so you can expand capacity as well as pop it out to review in your TV or computer. I read a hundred reviews before settling on this one. It had the highest resolution and good sensitivity in low light without spending a fortune - around $100

I tucked it against the top of the windshield to the right of the mirror. The power cord easily tucked along the edge down to the glove box and the power source there. They sell an additional power cord that splices into a 12v power line so the 12v receptacle in the glove box stays free.

I've had it close to a year and it works well. The 16gb card it came with stores about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Only problem with this method is if you live somewhere with any amount of sun, you cant put up a sun shade and keep the camera from baking. By attaching it to the mirror housing and not the glass itself, there's space for the shade i use. Oh, and that glove box receptacle is not in my 2013 350; unless i wanted to use the receptacle in the center console, i had to come up with a different plan. You can buy them for a few dollars online and then hard wire the receptacle itself. This way the camera's power cable can be swapped out pretty easily if need be and the receptacle left behind under the dash above the pedals. I also have an amplifier that powers all four cabin speakers up there.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
I've been using a dashcam in my GLK for some months now. Just running a cord down to the 12v socket in the slide open bin. Later I want to wire to a constant 12 volt source when I can find one. My dashcam can have motion sensing (visual movement) and G-sensing (physical movement of the vehicle) activated. That way the camera would come out of standby mode and start recording if someone of something moves in the field of view. Since that could cause it to come on too often depending on where you're parked I would probably use the G-sensor mode most of the time. That would come on (start recording) if someone strikes the vehicle.

Using a switched outlet, like the one I use now, does not allow for these two sensing systems to work when the car is shut off :-(
Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346

Awesome thanks for mentioing the cam type and brand ill check it out.

Only problem with this method is if you live somewhere with any amount of sun, you cant put up a sun shade and keep the camera from baking. By attaching it to the mirror housing and not the glass itself, there's space for the shade i use. Oh, and that glove box receptacle is not in my 2013 350; unless i wanted to use the receptacle in the center console, i had to come up with a different plan. You can buy them for a few dollars online and then hard wire the receptacle itself. This way the camera's power cable can be swapped out pretty easily if need be and the receptacle left behind under the dash above the pedals. I also have an amplifier that powers all four cabin speakers up there.
Thats a thought ill have to see if my glove box has the power...

Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I've been using a dashcam in my GLK for some months now. Just running a cord down to the 12v socket in the slide open bin. Later I want to wire to a constant 12 volt source when I can find one. My dashcam can have motion sensing (visual movement) and G-sensing (physical movement of the vehicle) activated. That way the camera would come out of standby mode and start recording if someone of something moves in the field of view. Since that could cause it to come on too often depending on where you're parked I would probably use the G-sensor mode most of the time. That would come on (start recording) if someone strikes the vehicle.

Using a switched outlet, like the one I use now, does not allow for these two sensing systems to work when the car is shut off :-(
What cam do you have??
Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Good point. I took a 6 inch square of aluminized insulating sheet like the stuff they wrap around ductwork. I cut one side to the middle where I cut out a small square. Now I just slip it on one side until the square in the middle locks on the center post.
It is a little more trouble but I didn't like the angle if I fastened it on the mirror.
Perhaps there's a 12v lead you can splice into behind the glove box? I pulled the dash panel off the right side next to the glovebox so I could tap into the line leading to the 12v outlet in the glove box from behind the glovebox and leave the receptacle free. If you don't have a receptacle it get more complicated to the extent you have to find a 12v source but the net should be the same.

Most of the time the video is intensely boring, but I figure this is like insurance and parachutes. When you really need it you can't call a time out or try and do without. A little over $100 for a constant opportunity to have a video that can be reviewed is irreplaceable. I like it a lot.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
What cam do you have??
I've got the DOD TECH LS460W - maybe not the best value for the money... haven't done any more research on these lately.

http://dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls460w/

Last edited by MBKLUE; 03-29-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:59 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I've got the DOD TECH LS460W - maybe not the best value for the money... haven't done any more research on these lately.

http://dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls460w/
Awesome i will check it out