GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Setting up a GLK for off-roading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Bronco
Setting up a GLK for off-roading

I am getting ready to build uo an other off-road worthy SUV "Ive owned 460 G300d's 280"s and a 463 body G300 but I put as a challenge setting up a GLK to at least find its way down a dirt road. I want to see if anypone has attempted this? Is there enough room to go to a 17 inch rim to get a better choise in tires? . I know through my Baja budies I can build some springs up to give me an aditional 10 cm of ground clearance so it is doable.
The following users liked this post:
walrusmt (04-16-2019)
Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 W463.237; 1991 W461.401
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008
I am getting ready to build uo an other off-road worthy SUV "Ive owned 460 G300d's 280"s and a 463 body G300 but I put as a challenge setting up a GLK to at least find its way down a dirt road. I want to see if anypone has attempted this? Is there enough room to go to a 17 inch rim to get a better choise in tires? . I know through my Baja budies I can build some springs up to give me an aditional 10 cm of ground clearance so it is doable.
Setting up the GLK with 17" wheels is a sensible move even if a GLK never leaves pavement. There's plenty of room provided you pick the proper wheel width/offset and choose a tire with roughly the same rolling diameter as the OEM tires.

The GLK will never have the off-road capabilities of a G-wagen and setting up a GLK with a lift kit, beefed-up control arms, skidplates, rock rails and real recovery points seems to be an unrealistic proposition. However, improving the GLK's "off-pavement" capabilities is more realistic and by that I mean bashing down gravel roads and dirt tracks (wet, dry or snow-covered).

Here's my 2015 GLK350 with M-B 5-Spoke 17x7.5 ET 47.5 wheels and 235/65R17 Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. The RhinoRack roof tray on my GLK holds my full-size spare tire, jerry can and a pair of TRED 1100 traction aids. This set-up is working well for me for some year 'round backroad exploring here in Western Canada.

Last edited by pawzitiv; 04-03-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added photo
The following 2 users liked this post by pawzitiv:
n33kolas (02-21-2023), walrusmt (04-16-2019)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by pawzitiv
Hey thats sharp nic ride..
walrusmt (04-16-2019)
Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Wow...Great looking RIG
walrusmt (04-16-2019)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
I know I'll take some heat. But having been part of the Black Hills four wheelers for years and having built a real off road capable Jeep. http://www.bh4wheelers.com/

One would be better off taking the money and buy an old Jeep to trash than you would spending said money on the high dollar stuff that will still not make the GLK any more off road capable than it is stock. A roof rack does not make anything an off roader, It's great for extra cargo capacity though.

If a 4X4 does not have a center diff capable of locking, It's not an off roader. If a 4X4 does not have a low range center diff, It's not an off roader.

The Mercedes 4matic system is only meant to get you out of the Neiman Marcus parking lot.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by super7pilot
I know I'll take some heat.
Yes, you will.

But having been part of the Black Hills four wheelers for years and having built a real off road capable Jeep. http://www.bh4wheelers.com/
Impressive! And I've wheeled many a trail with CT4WDA http://www.ct4wda.com/ in my fully off-road/expedition prepped 2010 Toyota 4Runner http://www.intveldimages.com/photos/...-bFP4cjG-L.jpg and Steyr Puch Pinzgauer 6x6 http://www.intveldimages.com/Photogr...ragan5-5-L.jpg

One would be better off taking the money and buy an old Jeep to trash than you would spending said money on the high dollar stuff that will still not make the GLK any more off road capable than it is stock. A roof rack does not make anything an off roader, It's great for extra cargo capacity though.
Anything offroad-worthy is high-dollar stuff. You can start with a $1500 Jeep and you'd still sink $15000 into it to make it truly "offroad" worthy. And nobody claimed a roof rack transforms anything into an "off-roader". The roof rack is simply a place to store the items needed for self-sufficiency should things not go as planned.

If a 4X4 does not have a center diff capable of locking, It's not an off roader. If a 4X4 does not have a low range center diff, It's not an off roader.
Agreed. But you don't need low range and lockers to go "off pavement". You'd be surprised what off-pavement obstacles are possible to overcome with lowered tire pressures, good knowledge of picking a line, careful wheel placement and judicious use of throttle/left foot braking. Intelligent off-roading is not simply a matter of low range, locking diffs and then "give 'er". I've managed to negotiate trails with a 1978 VW Westfalia that a Jeep Wagoneer couldn't manage (Jeep driver was an idiot). Sure, you won't climb a 3-foot high rock ledge with a GLK but the OP is asking about 17" wheels to improve off-pavement capabilities. Heck, I've even seen a Crown Vic negotiate a few slick-rock trails at Moab, so never say never. This is TOTALLY off the OP's topic ... my apologies.

The Mercedes 4matic system is only meant to get you out of the Neiman Marcus parking lot.
Hardly. The speed bumps at the Wal-Mart parking lot are much bigger! I've seen a Hummer H2 on 26" rollers and 35 series tires get high-centered ....

Last edited by pawzitiv; 04-04-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
I'm not an off-roader but it would be nice if the rest of us had the option of the Off Road Engineering Package. Still wouldn't make it a G-Wagen or mega-hardcore off-roader but it would be a step in the right direction for those so inclined. I'd just have been happy with the option to buy the ventilated seats!!

http://otogreat.com/car-reviews/marc...gineering.html

"The Offroad Engineering package continues to be offered, guaranteeing that the vehicle is well able to assert itself far from paved roads with Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR), cross-country driving programme (adaptation of transmission shift points and accelerator characteristic), powerful underguard and a raised suspension.

When the \”Offroad Engineering package\” is on board, the questionable \”off-road switch\” within the centre console enhances the Marcedes Benz GLK Class (2013)\’s capabilities in troublesome parcel. At the bit of a button a special drive programme is started that varies the shift points of the 7G-TRONIC, \”softens\” the accelerator characteristics and activates the ESP® cross-country functions with cross-country ABS and a special cross-country 4ETS system. Engine management intervention is later reduced and therefore the system in addition permits higher wheel slip values. This management strategy improves cross-country traction particularly on surfaces giving low friction levels, like sand, gravel or trash. The GLK\’s cross-country ABS was premiered within the current M-Class. It identifies the foremost various ground conditions via the continual comparison of wheel slip models. This leads to the most effective doable speed methods for cross-country visits on rock, sand, rubble, gravel or slush.

In this instrumentality variant with Offroad Engineering package, is supplied with a manual drive programme (M) within which the individual gears are often chosen via paddles on the multifunction handwheel. This in operation mode guarantees most cross-country driving enjoyment. an extra switch activates Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR), that mechanically maintains a predetermined speed between four and eighteen km/h on steep downhill stretches. the driving force is in a position to vary the speed at any time by means that of the control lever.

The ground clearance of 210 millimetres and therefore the negligible body overhangs (824 millimeter at the front, 957 millimeter at the rear) leads to associate approach angle of twenty three degrees and a departure angle of twenty five degrees; the ramp angle stands at nineteen degrees. The Marcedes Benz GLK Class (2013) is in a position to barter gradients of up to seventy percent; the utmost angle of inclination is thirty five degrees. along side the comparatively compact distance of 2755 millimetres and therefore the relatively low vehicle weight, this ensures that the Marcedes Benz GLK Class (2013) is in a position to create sensible progress even in topographically troublesome parcel."

Last edited by MBKLUE; 04-04-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:17 AM

Dreadful shame ... the "Offroad Engineering Package" isn't available to us "Nordamerikaners".
Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 AM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Don't underestimate just how hard this can be
Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 AM

GLK250
To each it own

I know I'll take some heat. But having been part of the Black Hills four wheelers for years and having built a real off road capable Jeep. http://www.bh4wheelers.com/

There is a certain population of motoring zealots that go to extremes...
and I have seen on a video in the past with MB GLK250 Diesel( looks similar but did not see the Number Model with Mercedes Benz Logo, the roof rack had 1 tire ... on the Dakar Tour ( the vehicle seemed to be configured with all terrain tires & a lift....with the usual Large Mercedes Benz Support vehicle following.
Extreme Off-road , Driver had a helmet on & was strapped in ...one of many small vehicles,mini cooper, VW but there seemed to be add on but different than my MB GLK250 BT ,endurance run..maybe.
The outer appearance seemed to be but probably was vehicle placed on a modified frame "look a like".Exciting to watch traveling down dusty road with a special air breather.
I do not plan to drive the Dakar & I will probably stay close to the Neiman Marcus Parking lot...
Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=pawzitiv;6387912]Yes, you will. And I agree.

I suppose it's all down to semantics and definitions then. The OP himself went from saying, "off road worthy" to "dirt road" then you lowered it further to "off pavement". A "dirt road" or "off pavement" is certainly not off road. I simply replied to the first question that the OP asked, Not the subsequent ones.

An older cheap stock Jeep Wrangler with the command trac locking center diff and open axle diffs is worlds more capable off road than a GLK is or will ever be for the same money in mods it would take to bring the GLK up to the level of the stock Jeep. Plus one has the luxury of having a heck of a good time exploring the back country while not having to worry about a few dents and scratches on the Merc.

I modded my 1991 Jeep Wrangler for way less than $15,000. I put on a set of super swamper tires $1,000, 3" body lift $150 and a some time in my garage,(gotta love body on frame) 4" suspension lift $1,000. The drive train remained stock. I had to use low range quite a bit because of the stock axle ratios. So I had the axle diff ratios changed later from 3.08:1 to 4.56:1 via new ring & pinions $1,000. So I was quite off road capable for a lot less than $15,000. But as the diffs were open. The Jeep was still fine for the street.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Setting up the GLK with 17" wheels is a sensible move even if a GLK never leaves pavement. There's plenty of room provided you pick the proper wheel width/offset and choose a tire with roughly the same rolling diameter as the OEM tires.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
Nice! I'm pretty sure I've seen you on the road here, I really like the roof rack.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:49 PM

GLK250
Canadian Solution

On this forum ,there has been much advice provided by some in Canada & those in areas with problem (access to replacement tires)
In Canada , the Mercedes GLK250 BT is not sourced with Run-flat tires
I have no knowledge of the OEM tire that is placed on a new vehicle.
The solution to a flat is the Factory provided approved SEALANT & Air Inflator.
My vehicle (USA) sourced has an empty space for these items.
Regardless , Canadian MB GLK 250BT do not have room for spare & creative ideas for 17 inch inflatable spare ( stored & taking up room ) Creative ideas of Roof carriers/Anchors for the 17 inch tire stored inside
This idea has been passed on to USA Customers .The tire on my vehicle are OEM Dunlop Grandtrek Touring MOE Run flat 200AA , excellent tire but tread wear life is short & in certain locales ( I have told is very hard to procure other than at the Mercedes Dealer at MB price) the 235/50R19 run flat has a limited run with any tire manufacturer. Creative ideas are welcomed & the term All season tire is only a term . If a MB GLK 250 lives in New England or the Rockies , snow impact , an All season tire will be deficit in traction in deep snow...
I have not encountered deep snow problems for two winters but I also sadly cancelled two trips to Maine. Unless I stay on the INTERSTATE, country roads would be foolish, mostly the access to a Dunlop Grandtrek MOE(if needed would be a challenge)availability limited if a replacement would be necessary . None-the-less , 4 feet of snow, & a tire with limited traction
In conclusion, each day we drive, the driver needs to be prepared...Happy Motoring
Old 04-08-2015, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by koalatm
Nice! I'm pretty sure I've seen you on the road here, I really like the roof rack.

Thanks for the props regarding the roof rack. It's an Aussie RhinoRack and I had a helluva time first confirming it and the cross bars would fit the GLK and then sourcing it.

Good to see another Calgarian on this forum. If there's anything distinctive about your Polar White GLK, lemme know and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Last edited by pawzitiv; 04-08-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by HONDO250
On this forum ,there has been much advice provided by some in Canada & those in areas with problem (access to replacement tires)
In Canada , the Mercedes GLK250 BT is not sourced with Run-flat tires
I have no knowledge of the OEM tire that is placed on a new vehicle.
The solution to a flat is the Factory provided approved SEALANT & Air Inflator.
My vehicle (USA) sourced has an empty space for these items.
Regardless , Canadian MB GLK 250BT do not have room for spare & creative ideas for 17 inch inflatable spare ( stored & taking up room )
I've never understood why, on the same vehicle, the provisions for remedying a tire puncture would be different between the US and Canada. Methinks a legal department had some involvement in this decision.

All season tire is only a term. If a MB GLK 250 lives in New England or the Rockies , snow impact , an All season tire will be deficit in traction in deep snow...
An "all-season" tire will be deficit for ALL road/weather conditions. They are the poorest combination of compromises. Having always previously used dedicated winter and summer tires, I was skeptical when I found a new class of tire deemed to be "all-weather" rather than "all-season". I was prepared to run dedicated winter tires on my 17" wheels and dedicated summer tires on my 20" wheels but decided to give the Nokian WRG3 SUV "all-weather" tires a try. In my experience with them, they have none of the deficiencies of "all-season" tires. They're almost as quiet as the OEM all-seasons, they handle extremely well on dry roads and wet pavement, very stable on loose gravel with excellent small stone ejection and their traction in winter conditions (slush, ice, packed snow, loose snow) is almost on par with Blizzaks. In short, I'm quite impressed with the Nokian "all-weather" tires, to the extent that I no longer have need to switch over wheels/tires in step with the seasons and I now have a commonly available tire size (235/65R17).

In conclusion, each day we drive, the driver needs to be prepared...Happy Motoring
I couldn't agree more! We live in times when the common belief is that roadside help is merely a phone call away and that may be true if you stick to major highways and urban areas. For those who want to venture further afield, adequate preparation for most "unforeseens" is a necessity.

Keep it shiny-side up and between the ditches!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 AM

GLK250
ICE ROADING/OFF ROADING & THE ADVENTURE

MB GLK 250BT owners can be a different sort of Adventurer.
In my experience, the very idea of purchasing a diesel called for a new way to adventure. Educating myself to the facts concerning diesel & the various grades.
During my State of Maine Adventure in Spring of 2014, I pulled up at Service Station /large convenience Store near Boothbay Harbor ,Maine.
Low & Behold ,there were various grades of Diesel .
The area has many Lobsterman & they burn diesel in their vessels.There were Diesel pumps of many variety ,in the small complex .To the side ,there was biodiesel, in a another corner there were pumps with diesel used in boats & construction equipment...large pick-up trucks lined up ,placing diesel into tanks in the bed of their trucks....
Within the mix of smartly appointed Fuel pumps were options for diesel
Grade :Super Diesel? & the usual Ultra low Sulfur Grade labeled that I use in my Mercedes Benz. I paid & left to motor about the Coast of Maine.
Never figured out the Super Diesel Label
In the portion of Maine , I visited ,the Most Important season is Tourist Season
Memorial Day through Labor Day ,the rest of the Year ,most things are closed ,shutdown & the businesses cater to the locals...the tourists are gone.I have been known to visit Maine in Winter & during the Mud Season but not recently...too much snow ,& my Dunlop Grandtrek MOE run flats ,I was told lacked the needed traction. I chose not to mount an ICE TIRE or some studded tire -Winter Tire.If I was in the mood for adventure ,I believe I would have 4 such tires mounted and on my Roof Rack ,the extra Tire.
In my Home Locale of Suburban Pennsylvania :three season tires do just fine.
A little bit of snow is OK & I am more afraid of drivers ,who do not know how to drive any kind of water , frozen,snow or rain.

Still learning to dress the part for a visit to my Mercedes Dealer,I can be mistaken as I dress in blue jeans wearing a ball cap without MB Logo...
I'm friendly & try to mix in with other customers in tweeds & very smartly dressed folks, with cuffed hairdo's & Pandora Bracelets...yet in the conversation in the smartly appointed Waiting Room, the chats deal with overpricing and when they can leave. They may exit in another type of Mercedes , it just doesn't matter...the experience was the same ,Greeted at the MB Entrance by a smarter dressed greeter & leaving the dealership with keys in hand still warm from the Cashier's hands....
Just another Part of the Mercedes Experience...

Last edited by HONDO250; 04-08-2015 at 05:20 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Thanks for the props regarding the roof rack. It's an Aussie RhinoRack and I had a helluva time first confirming it and the cross bars would fit the GLK and then sourcing it.

Good to see another Calgarian on this forum. If there's anything distinctive about your Polar White GLK, lemme know and I'll keep an eye out for you.
Nope, as stock as stock can be - but we do run 18" BBS wheels in the winter, which are still on there now. Front windows are tinted, and a sun-shade for our 1 year old son, that's about it!

It's the wife's, so I don't drive it much and she's the type of person that doesn't want me modifying her vehicle

Would love to replace the factory 20" wheels with something smaller and more comfortable but between my forthcoming Golf R and her vehicle, I'd then have two sets of wheels and tires sitting in the basement serving zero purpose.

Last edited by koalatm; 04-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Low & Behold ,there were various grades of Diesel .
It's not like gasoline, the grade of diesel means nothing other than some additives that might be "cleaner" or more winter friendly. Mostly marketing.

I run Shell V-Power diesel through our GLK once every few months just to make myself feel better, but otherwise just regular diesel is fine. It's all low-sulphur in North America now.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by koalatm
It's not like gasoline, the grade of diesel means nothing other than some additives that might be "cleaner" or more winter friendly. Mostly marketing.

I run Shell V-Power diesel through our GLK once every few months just to make myself feel better, but otherwise just regular diesel is fine. It's all low-sulphur in North America now.
I quite imagine that the differing pumps were also related to whether the diesel was taxed for road use. I seem to remember that untaxed diesel had a red die in it so the authorities could detect if one was using improper (untaxed) fuel. At a lot of stations in agricultural areas will have a pump for off highway diesel to use in farm machinery or in Maine's case "Fishing vessels". All diesel pumps that dispense untaxed fuel will be very well marked as such. The main thing we bluetec owners need to look out for is for the sign that says "approved for use in ALL diesels". This lets you know that it is not biofuel.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 PM

GLK250
The Right Diesel Fuel

I quite imagine that the differing pumps were also related to whether the diesel was taxed for road use. I seem to remember that untaxed diesel had a red die in it so the authorities could detect if one was using improper (untaxed) fuel. At a lot of stations in agricultural areas will have a pump for off highway diesel to use in farm machinery or in Maine's case "Fishing vessels". All diesel pumps that dispense untaxed fuel will be very well marked as such. The main thing we bluetec owners need to look out for is for the sign that says "approved for use in ALL diesels". This lets you know that it is not biofuel.
Good points made & I know people in a pinch use Home Heating Oil...it will work well. But I use ULTRA LOW Sulfur Diesel for my MB GLK250BT.
I check the Diesel Pump for the inspection sticker & use the right fuel...depending on the locale ,the diesel blends are being changed from winter to Summer formula.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Good points made & I know people in a pinch use Home Heating Oil...it will work well. But I use ULTRA LOW Sulfur Diesel for my MB GLK250BT.
I check the Diesel Pump for the inspection sticker & use the right fuel...depending on the locale ,the diesel blends are being changed from winter to Summer formula.
You should have seen the first time I filled up in Germany at a German station. Petrol pump nozzles are green and diesel black. I freaked when I pulled up in the wife's 328. I had to do the unmanly thing and go in and ask. Which was a good thing as I had the black (diesel) nozzle in my hand.

Then on the Air Force base, It was green for diesel.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 AM

GLK250
The color of the nozzle

You should have seen the first time I filled up in Germany at a German station. Petrol pump nozzles are green and diesel black. I freaked when I pulled up in the wife's 328. I had to do the unmanly thing and go in and ask. Which was a good thing as I had the black (diesel) nozzle in my hand.

Then on the Air Force base, It was green for diesel.
Yes, is very true & I am especially careful...I have seen yellow for Ultra low sulfur diesel.Green : on Off road diesel ( for construction equipment, maritime boat diesel for fisherman.
Lazy repair whats available from the parts department ? I mentioned in one of my recent adventures Diesel, Ultra low Sulfur, Super diesel ,boat diesel...I was careful then & the nozzle did not fit anyway because 99% of the business are tractor trailers ..so I needed to go to the diesel pump for cars , I believe it was at a truck stop PETRO that caters to all drivers. I stop at TRAVEL Centers/truck stops no problem , they have good clean pump areas well maintained...the diesel pad is degreased.The Nozzles are properly labeled /hoses are tight,clamped ,not leaking at the seals.....Food is Good, Coffees Fresh & the truck drivers have their section,privacy.If the pumps are not well maintained ,I don't fill -up . Convenient Stores that have diesel ,many times the receipt is not available because the paper needs to be refilled ,with limited staff ,they don't have the staff to maintain the pumps,empty trash, degrease the Pad. I am disabled & it can be difficult for me to go in & get my receipt..I pay at the pump by credit...After a year, I have had good & bad situations. at big name & off brand ...it varies , it depends on the manager...
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM

2014 SLK, 2015 GLK350
Paw ziti do you have the part numbers for the rails and rack?? Rhrinorack has been useless via email as they say nothing they have fits the glk

I had a safari rack on my disco and want something on the glk I am waiting for to arrive

Thanks
Lou
Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by LBC240MIDBlue
Paw ziti do you have the part numbers for the rails and rack?? Rhrinorack has been useless via email as they say nothing they have fits the glk

I had a safari rack on my disco and want something on the glk I am waiting for to arrive

Thanks
Lou
Lou,

Here are the Rhino-Rack part numbers I ordered:

Rhino-Rack Vortex SXBS 8 Aero Cross Bars (SX005 Legs/VA126S Bars)

Rhino-Rack AT1510 Alloy Cargo Tray

I used an eBay Rhino-Rack dealer. Hope this helps ....
Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM

2014 SLK, 2015 GLK350
Thanks ,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Setting up a GLK for off-roading