GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Research & my tire plug kit for my GLK 250 BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Research & my tire plug kit for my GLK 250 BT

Being retired & traveling , a few long trips , i do carry a Tire repair kit (which can be used on a run flat tire . Though it is stated ,the driver can run flat to the nearest tire dealer. I believe I would plug the hole after removing the nail...then run flat to have the tire repaired...Though different interpretation ,distances a Run Flat tire can last is up for debate. In a hot weather situation ,the tire will be toasty & the break down tire dust will be inside....Cold weather flat run probably is different .
As for finding a replacement tire for my Run Flat Dunlop Grandtrek MOExtended run Flat 235/50R19 they are really in short supply except at the MB Dealer $$$.
In the middle of no-where replacement will take some strategy, the Dunlop's are in short supply. I will be replacing mine with another brand...it does not matter which Run flat Pax Moe, SSR or other term ...still very expensive.
There is no Bridgestone Drive Guard in that size...Firestone & Bridgestone are running ads...
the tread life advertised can vary depending by the advertisement , there limited discount coupons on any run flat tire . By the construction of most run flat tires ,the warranty can be problematic "very limited"
I have visited a few tire dealers & I have gotten different answers on the ratings/tread .UTQG : can be looked up on NTSA LIST & can be read on the tire.
So many questions to ask if your stuck in the middle of nowhere & can the service station have the ability not to wreck the tire,remove & remount...does the place have the equipment to do so... I have heard No, We don't do run flats & go get fix a flat " I don't think so"
At least in my research ,the run flats are not stocked in their shop..."got to get them from the warehouse...Think of my experience getting a Dunlop Grandtrek & I have to wait to replace a tire damaged in the sidewall or its toasted...in a day or two.
Boy Scout Motto " be Prepared" & Happy Motoring on the street or Off Road on the DAKAR
Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
I took a nail in my OEM grandtrek at 10,000 miles. Tire was toast, As the nail went in at the transition from tread to sidewall. To add insult to injury. When I called MB to inquire as to the max diameter differential that the transfer case can handle. Guess what? The Grandtreks with their low treadwear rating had worn enough in those 10,000 miles that the allowed size differential had been exceeded. 4 new tires were required. My tire dealer was very straight up and said that a run flat in the odd size that the GLK uses, make absolutely zero sense. They said it this way. You can only do 50 miles on a run flat, Then it's toast. Most tire shops do not stock the GLK size runflat. So why not just go with non-runflats and a tire plug kit, and or A "triple A" or roadside assistance membership of your choice and just wait for a flat bed?

I ended up buying a set of Toyo Versado's non-runflats. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/ve...l-season-tires The ride is much improved as the tire can absorb some shock rather than transfer it to the suspension. It's a bit noisier at low speeds, But is very quiet at anything over 35 MPH. Fuel mileage is still brilliant. Just did 383.6 miles on a nature photo shoot yesterday in the Columbia river gorge and got 39 MPG for the trip. The on board MPG reading was within a few tenths (it showed a bit low at 38.8) of the calculated 39MPG at the pump.

Last edited by super7pilot; 04-10-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 PM

GLK250
Toasted tires /Available Dunlop Grandtrek MOE/Research

Originally Posted by super7pilot
I took a nail in my OEM grandtrek at 10,000 miles. Tire was toast, As the nail went in at the transition from tread to sidewall. To add insult to injury. When I called MB to inquire as to the max diameter differential that the transfer case can handle. Guess what? The Grandtreks with their low treadwear rating had worn enough in those 10,000 miles that the allowed size differential had been exceeded. 4 new tires were required. My tire dealer was very straight up and said that a run flat in the odd size that the GLK uses, make absolutely zero sense. They said it this way. You can only do 50 miles on a run flat, Then it's toast. Most tire shops do not stock the GLK size runflat. So why not just go with non-runflats and a tire plug kit, and or A "triple A" or roadside assistance membership of your choice and just wait for a flat bed?

I ended up buying a set of Toyo Versado's non-runflats. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/ve...l-season-tires The ride is much improved as the tire can absorb some shock rather than transfer it to the suspension. It's a bit noisier at low speeds, But is very quiet at anything over 35 MPH. Fuel mileage is still brilliant. Just did 383.6 miles on a nature photo shoot yesterday in the Columbia river gorge and got 39 MPG for the trip. The on board MPG reading was within a few tenths (it showed a bit low at 38.8) of the calculated 39MPG at the pump.
I'm sure you will get some further response concerning the Dunlop Grandtrek MOE Run flat.
Apparently the tire in 235/50R19 Dunlop Grandtrek touring A/S DSST Run on flat MOE & in the research after stopping at a number of Goodyear Tire places Dunlop's are in short supply . As stated before except at the Mercedes Dealership
and when it is toast , no repair will do & running the tire for what ever distance , will effect the tire .

The Grandtrek's are good tires but 200AA & tire wear & actual availability if you need just one...is problematic.
I have on order for new tires the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus in the run flat . $60 rebate is available until early May .I will wait 5 days to have the installer get them from a his tire warehouse ...next week they will be installed. It is peace of mind for me & warranty allows for a back -up plan .Pirelli has more shops that carry the tire mentioned... I am planning a trip & this tire is more readily available . Any run flat tire is expensive to buy one or four. $60 will assist with taxes or associated fees.
I want the Dunlop's off my car soon.My tire dealer will rotate them periodically free of charge & I want the least amount of contact with the Mercedes Dealer to replace a GrandTrek MOE.It was a rough winter on tires & rims...&... I am not alone ,issues effect those in NorthEast & no matter where roads are bad ,whatever region it's been costly for any repair.

My local tire dealer I use is local & though there is a system in place from Tire Rack & Discount Tire. I plan to purchase my next set of tires from my local tire dealer.He will match prices & provide deals.
There are options through other tire manufacturers & using non-run flats adds options with the use of Approved sealants & a 12 volt tire inflation device...tires lose air ..
Happy Motoring , stay out of ditches &pot holes.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:01 PM

I thought the Dunlops were fine as well. I just thought it was rediculous that MB wanted (if I recall correctly) $1,200 USD for the pair. But when it was discovered that at only 10K the 200 wear rating had meant the new tires would be more than 3/32 diff from the old ones. And would cause wear to the center diff from the differing rotation rate of the two axles.

I don't consider a run flat to provide any piece of mind at all. If your in the middle of the Nevada desert or empty plains of the Dakota's, You will still be a long way from anywhere. And a good portion of shops won't even try to fix a runflat. But they will fix a non-runflat. Truth be told. Flats are not so common, Tires are pretty well built anymore.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... well researched info... frankly this type of tire is technically "Extended Mobility" -

Run Flats designed after transportation tires have a inner aluminum or Kevlar disc so they can be "run flat" - although at reduced mph - "up to 200 miles.

Extended Mobility have a stronger sidewall that for same situation - claimed to be able to run up to 50 miles - again based on seriously reduced speed.

I am not a fan of Run Flat's - which to me are absolutely horrible driving tires.

I am less hateful towards Extended Mobility - as better in ride and handling than Run Flats - and understanding EM are not MB's invention - I have had to widen my perspective since EM tech has been adopted increasing # of luxury manuf for a increasing # of their models.

EM tire manufacturers state not to repair EM's -0 because no one can determine how the original sidewall is damaged....
Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 PM

GLK250
Travel Location :solving problems

I thought the Dunlop's were fine as well. I just thought it was rediculous that MB wanted (if I recall correctly) $1,200 USD for the pair. But when it was discovered that at only 10K the 200 wear rating had meant the new tires would be more than 3/32 diff from the old ones. And would cause wear to the center diff from the differing rotation rate of the two axles.

I don't consider a run flat to provide any piece of mind at all. If your in the middle of the Nevada desert or empty plains of the Dakota's, You will still be a long way from anywhere. And a good portion of shops won't even try to fix a runflat. But they will fix a non-runflat. Truth be told. Flats are not so common, Tires are pretty well built anymore.
The forum has been great because on the subject of run flats,options it seems that where the driver lives or plans to travel...preparation is necessary.If I lived in Colorado , a 3 season run flat tire could not handle any amount of snow...so those drivers use an ICE/Snow tire the science in the construction of the tire tells the driver ...in the spring off with the snow tires.

Non run flat tires are a good option for some, if the driver is immediately alerted that the non run flat tire does not become a blow out...a separation of tire from rim . Either you carry a spare on the roof or the tire can be re-inflated ,plugged, or the proper sealant is used...That the Canadian solution for the MB GLK250BT.
Fix a flat, is tricky as it can cause further problems...in the valve sensor .
A MB GLK250 BT has no room for a spare , donut , 17 inch Vrestein that can expand with the proper sealant. Spare tires are heavy ,without one ,another problem needs to be solved . The Risk is the same in the wilderness, flat tire no spare.
"Tires are pretty well built" it's a big but, so carry a spare or keep the run flat tire.
If lucky either way , salvaging the tire by plug,sealant & getting to a safe place...
Replacing a run flat is super expensive but there is time to get a repair& save your life...
If you hear the tire going flat on the non run flat at low speed ...maybe you can save the tire but a 60 miles /hour ...a blow out .tire rim separation...little time,evasive control ,driving skill...if you ever experienced a blow-out "white knuckle" & hope you don't roll the car....Just refer to You tube for the lesson...

FEAR of Unknown is not fun...happy Motoring
Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 AM

GLK250
Tire Construction -Term Run Flat

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well... well researched info... frankly this type of tire is technically "Extended Mobility" -

Run Flats designed after transportation tires have a inner aluminum or Kevlar disc so they can be "run flat" - although at reduced mph - "up to 200 miles.

Extended Mobility have a stronger sidewall that for same situation - claimed to be able to run up to 50 miles - again based on seriously reduced speed.

I am not a fan of Run Flat's - which to me are absolutely horrible driving tires.

I am less hateful towards Extended Mobility - as better in ride and handling than Run Flats - and understanding EM are not MB's invention - I have had to widen my perspective since EM tech has been adopted increasing # of luxury manuf for a increasing # of their models.

EM tire manufacturers state not to repair EM's -0 because no one can determine how the original sidewall is damaged....
There is a good point about how one tire manufacturer "creates"a run flat PAX,SSR, MOExtended Run flat..the key is a side wall that support the weight of car at that portion of the car...& yes, a manufacturer will engineer into the tire a kevlar disc.Each manufacturer has an idea & despite all the advertisements from Bridgestone ,they do not produce a DriveGuard tire 235/50R19 .Continental ,Michelin, Pirelli,Dunlop guarantee through Goodyear.
Coupons, tire specials, deals are limited or non-existent...
I plan to replace my Dunlop Grandtrek MOExtended EOM tire sourced in the USA for MB GLK250BT.
The tire is excellent but the owner is at the mercy of Mercedes Benz , Dunlop through Goodyear if you need to replace one. I plan to get 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season plus in the run flat & Pirelli makes the same in name in a non-run flat ..If I purchase 4 before May 4,2014 $60 rebate in a Visa Card...
Not much money but it helps...The next driver hopes to find a trusted Tire Dealer & get a fair price.
These Pirelli's will cost for 4 about $1,400 after all the taxes/fees.

I have seen deals but they are not run flats...The hope is in the future more 235/50R19 run flats will be available...produced , though there is bad publicity , the Dunlop's are a good tire for three season tire but scarce & very costly to replace. TIRE RACK lists them for $316 per (BACK ORDERED)
Every Goodyear Dealer (Back ordered) My Mercedes Dealer "might ' called: one available(back ordered) .Good luck in the desert or most anywhere,scarce ( info was from April 3rd investigation.

A run flat tire can be plugged in the tread (DISTANCE & DAMAGE)but the side wall cannot be ..that plug is only temporary because the tire has to come off & "sometimes can be patched "Any tire has possibilities but at best limited ...if the driver can safely get off the road ,access the problem , keep their cool & the possible resident experts passengers & two kids ..maybe if close something can be done...carry a credit card or cash...maybe it is only a tire. When all is said & done ,safe....
Old 04-11-2015, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by HONDO250
There is a good point about how one tire manufacturer "creates"a run flat PAX,SSR, MOExtended Run flat..the key is a side wall that support the weight of car at that portion of the car...& yes, a manufacturer will engineer into the tire a kevlar disc.Each manufacturer has an idea & despite all the advertisements from Bridgestone ,they do not produce a DriveGuard tire 235/50R19 .Continental ,Michelin, Pirelli,Dunlop guarantee through Goodyear.
Coupons, tire specials, deals are limited or non-existent...
I plan to replace my Dunlop Grandtrek MOExtended EOM tire sourced in the USA for MB GLK250BT.
The tire is excellent but the owner is at the mercy of Mercedes Benz , Dunlop through Goodyear if you need to replace one. I plan to get 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season plus in the run flat & Pirelli makes the same in name in a non-run flat ..If I purchase 4 before May 4,2014 $60 rebate in a Visa Card...
Not much money but it helps...The next driver hopes to find a trusted Tire Dealer & get a fair price.
These Pirelli's will cost for 4 about $1,400 after all the taxes/fees.

I have seen deals but they are not run flats...The hope is in the future more 235/50R19 run flats will be available...produced , though there is bad publicity , the Dunlop's are a good tire for three season tire but scarce & very costly to replace. TIRE RACK lists them for $316 per (BACK ORDERED)
Every Goodyear Dealer (Back ordered) My Mercedes Dealer "might ' called: one available(back ordered) .Good luck in the desert or most anywhere,scarce ( info was from April 3rd investigation.

A run flat tire can be plugged in the tread (DISTANCE & DAMAGE)but the side wall cannot be ..that plug is only temporary because the tire has to come off & "sometimes can be patched "Any tire has possibilities but at best limited ...if the driver can safely get off the road ,access the problem , keep their cool & the possible resident experts passengers & two kids ..maybe if close something can be done...carry a credit card or cash...maybe it is only a tire. When all is said & done ,safe....
Yes a runflat can be fixed. IF THE SHOP WILL DO IT. That is the key. A lot of shops won't fix them. And if that shop does not have a replacement then your stuck or need to call a flat bed truck any way. That is why one is much better off having a service like "AAA". If you have a flat just call them & they will take you to a shop. So one can chose to have run-flats where you are mostly guaranteed to have issues with getting one fixed or replaced. Or one can have non-runflats that can be repaired at almost any small shop on the planet. But you will have the same hard to replace issue due to the odd ball uncommon sizing.
So,
Runflats, three strikes.
Hit & miss on getting them repaired, Expensive, Hard to get a runflat in that size.

Non-runflats one strike.
A little easier to get (but not by much) than the run flat.

Blow outs. Yes blow outs do happen. But the root cause of them are four fold.
1, An under-inflated tire is the main culprit. 99% of all the 18 wheeler tires on the side of the road are caused by under-inflation. All cars since 2007 have TPM's. So unless one has put new wheels on and neglected to install the TPS monitors, under-inflation shouldn't be an issue. Even then, If one doesn't check their tire pressures. Then they are an idiot. It's not the tires fault.
2, Pot holes. If you hit a pot hole big enough to blow out a tire. It certainly won't be a surprise if your tire goes at the same time unless you slept through the hit.
3, Hitting an object, Which of course is the same as the pot hole scenario.
4, Massively overloading the vehicle. Kind of hard with our GLK's. This is an issue with true pickups and other cargo haulers.
Items one and four are in "your an idiot territory" and you deserved what you got, A Darwin award.

Two and three are in the "**** happens" category. But are not likely to cause a "surprise" blow out. If one does hit a big pot hole or 2X4 and the tire doesn't blow out & one fails to have the tire inspected and they keep driving as if nothing happened. Then they graduate to the idiot category.

Last edited by super7pilot; 04-11-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:55 PM

GLK250
The beat goes on ,solving problems

Yes a runflat can be fixed. IF THE SHOP WILL DO IT. That is the key. A lot of shops won't fix them. And if that shop does not have a replacement then your stuck or need to call a flat bed truck any way. That is why one is much better off having a service like "AAA". If you have a flat just call them & they will take you to a shop. So one can chose to have run-flats where you are mostly guaranteed to have issues with getting one fixed or replaced. Or one can have non-runflats that can be repaired at almost any small shop on the planet. But you will have the same hard to replace issue due to the odd ball uncommon sizing.
So,
Runflats, three strikes.
Hit & miss on getting them repaired, Expensive, Hard to get a runflat in that size.

Non-runflats one strike.
A little easier to get (but not by much) than the run flat.

Blow outs. Yes blow outs do happen. But the root cause of them are four fold.
1, An under-inflated tire is the main culprit. 99% of all the 18 wheeler tires on the side of the road are caused by under-inflation. All cars since 2007 have TPM's. So unless one has put new wheels on and neglected to install the TPS monitors, under-inflation shouldn't be an issue. Even then, If one doesn't check their tire pressures. Then they are an idiot. It's not the tires fault.
2, Pot holes. If you hit a pot hole big enough to blow out a tire. It certainly won't be a surprise if your tire goes at the same time unless you slept through the hit.
3, Hitting an object, Which of course is the same as the pot hole scenario.
4, Massively overloading the vehicle. Kind of hard with our GLK's. This is an issue with true pickups and other cargo haulers.
Items one and four are in "your an idiot territory" and you deserved what you got, A Darwin award.

Two and three are in the "**** happens" category. But are not likely to cause a "surprise" blow out. If one does hit a big pot hole or 2X4 and the tire doesn't blow out & one fails to have the tire inspected and they keep driving as if nothing happened. Then they graduate to the idiot category.
It always good to discuss ways of solving problems..I am going to purchase four new run flats.
There is so much being said about the Dunlop Grandtrek MOE and for my peace of mind ,I want to get them off my MB GLK250BT.
A quality tire dealer probably has the right machine to remove & remount...but I suppose being stuck in "No man's Land" the solution is a roll back ,a fat wallet .
I did stop & ask "if they (repair shop has the right expensive machine )Some answer no, some say I'll try with what we got, and many say YES ,we handle run flats...any tire. Looking at the proper machine , it won't damage the tire >>if with the qualified installer>>> there is a definite process of the proper use of lubricates,supplies that does not damage the tire ..newly installed ,removed with the possibility of repair.
Logically, If a new one is needed ,how fast can you get one.I chose to order 4 new Pirelli run flats.....expensive ,but PEACE OF MIND...
A qualified driver may or may not know how to handle a problem ...the monitoring system is an essential device & new vehicles of most makes have such a system...& as stated the proper tire inflation ,periodic checks before the monitor reports a low tire...Naturally all tires lose air....

A tire failure is a scary situation & I am safer with a run flat tire....I have spoken to at least three people that had severe costly incident where they had to replace tire(s )& the rims , one person broke a wheel strut ... a wheel suspension collapse,extensive damage $$$. Pothole crater after dark...
One individual said : they had to wait to get a new tire (it was not a run flat) the repair shop said they are very busy because of all the tire repairs ..the Tire shop was an authorized dealer of many brands but the tire needed was not in their inventory.
The Word :Pothole is a bad word & if you file a insurance claim ,it is going to effect your premium. My region is still fixing **(patching pot holes) after a rain storm ,they are still appearing...Fixing a pothole is expensive when done correctly but generally speaking I see patch job with hope of repaving...
Tax dollars at work, but despite the fact my State increased the Fuel tax , the State is waiting for Congress to restore money for the Road & Bridge Repairs...
So driver beware & happy motoring ...Getting ready for my trip in a few weeks ...
With al,l the stories I hear from people , I hope to be ready & safe.