Best year for aftermarket GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Corolla
Best year for aftermarket GLK?

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a new car and have my eye on a GLK. I am thinking to buy a used car with under 50,000 miles instead of a new 2015.

I currently live in the state of Wisconsin. Within a 100-mile radius, most used options I find via autotrader.com, cars.com, etc., list about 75 available used GLKs.

What is interesting to me is that the majority are 2010s and 2013s. There are zero 2009s, 2012s, and only a few 2011s. The trend was big enough that I realized I should probably start by understanding the difference in models year-over-year and let what I learn help in form which used option makes sense.

So, my question for the forum: Is there a reason so many used 2013s are out there? Was that a bad year? Should I be looking for 2012s?

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I will try to be helpful - so you know GLK was introduced in model year 2010 - so yes, there are no model year 2009's.

Also so you know - the GLK comes in two drive versions - 4matic mercedes all-time-all-wheel-drive, and RWD/rear-wheel-drive. The RWD with mercedes traction control gets a bit better fuel economy - and is popular in mild 4-season metro areas - the 4matic is the major seller outside those areas - both are GLK's so it's up to you to know if it's 4matic or RWD so you can make the best choice for you.

The updated 302hp Mercedes 350 engine was updated in the GLK in MY2013 - 2010 thru 2012 was earlier 350 engine desing at 268hp - the "newer" 350 V6 in addition to increased hp/toque is also a bit better in fuel efficiency/economy than it's older brother - meaning 2013 forward the 350 has more scoot, and touch better fuel economy.

The 250 4-cylinder Bluetech diesel is the 2nd engine option - only 4matic - and diesel and fuel economy enthusiasts rave.. introduced mid-year 2013..

The interior and exterior styling was "updated" MY2013 - easily identified by "round" front dash vents, rather than earler rectangular/slat dash vents - overall the update in 2013 made the GLK a more refined vehicle inside and out.

Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned Warranty from a Mercedes dealer is 12 mos with unlimited miles - and any remaining 4yr/50K mile Mercedes New Car Warranty is added on top of that CPO warranty. If there is remaining Mercedes New Car Warranty - that allows the the Mercedes Certified Unlimited Mileage Warranty run a full 5yrs from original in-service. If there is no remaining Mercedes New Car Warranty - then the Mercedes CPO warranty runs a flat 12 mo from your date of purchase.

Mercedes Unlimited Mileage Certified Warranty - and/or any remaining Mercedes New Car Warranty - your warranty value on a particular pre-owned GLK - is up to you to determine.

4matic/RWD - engine - warranty - the other major variable between pre-owned GLK's are the factory options that are (or are not) on that particular GLK - which is best determined by a Mercedes spec sheet or copy of the window sticker.

The "range" of factory options is quite wide - it's not necessarily measured only by original MSRP - the fact is if a GLK doesn't have a factory option you want/value - you can't add it to a pre-owned. Heated front seats - upgraded factory COMAND stereo/nav/rear-view - sunroof - running boards - wheels/appearance-package - are perhaps the most key options to determine off the top of my head. Summary - what a particular GLK has or has-not in options/equipment is your job to find out.

Well equipped Mercedes Certified GLK's - especially May with Mercedes Financial incentives - are frankly nationwide are very quick sellers on the right rig - popcorn out in 4/5 days - often 1/2 days... a lot of rock solid value
Old 05-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Not withstanding that great post by fabbrisd1, my research led me to the late build 2013 for reliability rating from various site and some factory warranty left, lower mileage (mine only had 42k kilometres) and it was loaded to the teeth so i got more than i wanted ofr a great price... Good hunting...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM

Toyota Corolla
Wow, thank you for the speedy feedback you two!

@fabbrisd1, let's use this example GLK, as it's similar to the type and budget I am looking to eventually purchase. Probably won't buy this specific one, but it's a good template to learn...

LINK

1. Warranty from MB

There are a few 4yr/50K warranties. If the car has ~46,000 miles, is it 50K on life of the car, or 50K after I buy it? e.g. do those warranties vanish in just a few thousand more miles?

Please help me understand the Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned Warranty... Is it provided from MB or from the dealer? This is a warranty that is effective 12 months after original purchase of the card, and another 12 months again after ownership changes hands up until the first 5 years of the car? If I misunderstood that, do you have a recommended link for me to research it?

Lastly, how does a car become a "Certified Pre-Owned"? I take it this example is not Certified Pre-Owned. If that's the case, does that mean it's a stay away? I'm trying to understand how a car becomes CPO and if I should only be considering CPO options or not.

2. Warranty from the Dealer

Should I be looking for warranties from a MB-sanctioned dealer? Or will all my warranty options come from MB directly?

3. May Mercedes Financial Incentives

I didn't realize there was such a thing! Are there particular times of the year that are better to be looking for used Mercedes? (In particular used GLKs)

---

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Please go to mbusa.com - you can use that site for your research on MB New car Warranty and MB Certified Pre-Owned Warranty..

Your research will allow you to determine for your self the "added value" to you of buying Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned from a Mercedes dealer - versus buying a pre-owned GLK from a non-MB dealer or from private party.

In the "case" you are presenting - overall from Lux you have 4K miles of mercedes new car warannty left - if that was a Mercedes Certified from a MB dealer - all other things equal - you would have approx 3yrs Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Pre-owned Warranty..

Happy hunting..
Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Toyota Corolla
Thank you Fabbrisd1! The recommendation to go to mbusa.com was most helpful. Lots of resources there, which I guess is obvious in hindsight. None the less, I appreciate it.

So does this mean May is a really good time to buy a used CPO? The month is almost already over :-). I wasn't necessarily planning to buy now, but later this summer.

Are there more promotional events like this where "any time is a good time to buy"? Or should I really really consider buying this next week? Ha, crazy to think about that.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 PM

2013 GLK 350
We were in the market for a 2012 GLK350 4 Matic in December...was well on our way until we seen the 2013 model and read about the changes incorporated. The 2013 was then on our list and was tough to find with the options we wanted, but our MB dealer came through. We purchased on Christmas Eve and have been extremely pleased ever since...a great car! We received the warranty extension as it was a CPO, 2 free maintenance certs, and our first payment paid by MB. I went ahead and purchased another 2 years of warranty...taking coverage through 2019. Again, a great car and we're glad we held out for the updated model year.

Last edited by Rmutchler; 05-25-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
If the right GLK is out there - it's not crazy - it enjoying more now !
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
The best year is that one that was well maintained and taken good care off without many factory defects. I would pick the one with higher mileage (40k-60k miles) and good service records.

I have one of the early 2010 (took delivery in april of 2009) and it's been very reliable. My main and only issue was dead command screen which was replaced under warranty. Several 2010 owners on this forum also have had minimal issues, if any.