GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

DSR and Off-load buttons are missing on GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK250
DSR and Off-load buttons are missing on GLK?

Hi,
GLK doesn't come with DSR or Off-load assistance? I'm picking up my new GLK250 this Saturday but I just noticed that there are no DSR or Off-load buttons on the dash. Are they hidden somewhere? I don't use them often but would be surprised if they're not available in GLK because even the smaller GLA comes with them.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 SLK, 2015 GLK350
GLK does not have these at least in the states... I think the AWD systems is the same but it doesn't have the desent control etc.

My dealer said she is not really offroad capable but we shall see and I plan o n taking mine to some trails and beaches.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It's a pavement / gravel cottage road SUV, not a Land Rover Defender or mil-spec mid-80s G-Wagen with locking diffs. On anything MB makes - with the possible exception of a non-AMG G class - they are more for show than any real use, and in partuicular on the otherwise excellent GLA hatchback (let's face it - that's exactly what it is desipte the "SUV" marketing and funky labelled buttons) with the groud clearance of a VW Golf.

Good luck on the trails - and make sure you have the "MB Road Assistance" number handy just in case.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 SLK, 2015 GLK350
Diabolis
I would never dream of taking the GLK to the places I went with my LR Discovery but I am sure she is capable of light off-pavement driving on clear trails and on sand with my tires aired down.... that is all I would expect from it.

My hardcore days of Moab rock crawling and driving thru surf I think are behind me.....

Lou
Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Oh - I was actually pleasantly surprised at the GLK's ability to make it up and down some rather challenging slopes and terrain (some snow-covered to boot) with a set of 17" mud / snow tires. It's just that, well, the GLK is not the right vehicle to begin with if you actually intend to travel on trails and off-road courses where one might actually *need* the DSR functionality. It will hold 15 mph just fine on a fairly steep downhill slope with the normal slushbox in D1 even with a small boat trailer, and you could also touch the brakes now and then if you needed to, and it certainly has some off-road capability (more so than, say, any of BMW's SUVs for example), but it's just not built for serious off-roading or of that matter towing. It's an entry-level premium / luxury SUV, not an off-roading tool with a snorklel, steel belly pan guards and bush bars where a dent here and there is a badge of honor.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
My Defender doesn't have any of that, because it is a matter of the driver being able to use all the controls available and not leaving it to some programmer who thinks he knows better than the guy in the drivers seat. Although, I agree, the GLK is not an 'off road' vehicle, I was amazed at how strong the under side is. I high-sided it on a 10" wide concrete abutment one day going where I should not have. All four wheels were off the ground. Had to pull it off, which damaged a tie rod but did no damage to the bottom of the engine, tranny or diff. That was 45,000 miles ago so I guess I can say that those three components can support the whole truck without a problem. The tie rod was not damaged enough that prohibited me from driving it 20 miles to the dealer for repair.
Be assured that the bottom of the GLK is one strong mother but articulation, wheel travel and exposed half-shafts, along with no 'Lo-Range', keep it out of the woods.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bop11
<snip>...it is a matter of the driver being able to use all the controls available and not leaving it to some programmer who thinks he knows better than the guy in the drivers seat.<snip>
Agree 100%, although I suspect that putting in a DSR button on the dash is going to sell more cars than being told "learn how to drive properly" when you are at the dealership contemplating your next purchase.

Give me a car with three pedals and five on the floor with a two-speed transfer box and a lockable diff, and I'll get it anywhere where any of the current batch of software-controlled "there are 2.74 snowflakes per inch under the left front wheel and 62.3% of the remnants of a blooming opuntia humifusa cactus that I accidentally squished in the sand under my right rear" SUVs can only dream of getting. Thre is no substitute for driver ability, and, just as importantly (and unfortunately missing from almost all the new vehicles), FEEDBACK.

Glad to hear the GLK is as tough as it looks!