GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Does anybody actually pay for SLOW MB internet? What about $5/month sirius traffic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Thumbs down Does anybody actually pay for SLOW MB internet? What about $5/month sirius traffic?

Man, I was soooo underwhelmed when we tried to use the free internet trial on the multimedia package for the first 6 months!

It takes like 3 minutes to click through a few basic yelp reviews! Like slower than dial up! Is there something wrong with my car? Or is MB really that stupid in creating something so comepletely USELESS in this day and age?

Also, was pretty ticked off to learn that I gotta pay $5/month for LIFE just to have my navigation in the multimedia system actually give me traffic updates and be useful over using my phone GPS.

Are there any software updates for data tethering workarounds or are we really screwed into having to pay for Traffic if we want to use our $2K navigation system?

Been wondering about both of these issues since we drove off the lot, and just finally getting them off my chest and asking about them now!

Will really appreciate any veteran insight into these two horrendous issues!

Thanks in advance
RB
Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK 350
I'm right there with you. The entire mBrace system is a disappointment. I too took the trial, but even then every app I wanted was an additional fee. I canceled by trial, they then told me I would lose my lifetime roadside assistance....nice try scooter! I love our GLK, but the mBrace needs a reality check in today's times...and yesterday's! I do get traffic and weather with my Sirius subscription, of which I only pay $85 per year for...never paying full price for Sirius. Thanks for your venting, you are not alone!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 SLK, 2015 GLK350
Honestly I don't get it either... I will keep the base service as we like the call home feature in case of an accident.

Honestly the whole command system is pretty bad, this one is a little better than what is in the SLK but stop pretty archaic.. Would love to see what CarPlay looks like but when I mentioned it to my sales guy he just shook his head to stay way.....
Old 06-21-2015, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Traffic is a SIRIUS real-time data stream, as well as Weather... most of my customers ride out the free SIRIUS trail until the head unti tells them it's about to expire - SIRIUS has non-published customer retention specials the customer SIRIUS service agents can offer you.. most report back over 50% savings vrs published rates..

Car connectivity - like mBrace - does not hold up against the maximized connectivity of current Smart phones.

The "value" of mBrace to the Owner is the value of the smartphone apps and/or concierge + SOS features..

Yes - Roadside can always be contacted by cell - tell # inside the driver's side visor mirror cover.

Frankly - SIRIUS is SIRIUS, and mbrace is Hughes/Verizon - I would recommend you focus your energy in the proper direction...
Old 06-21-2015, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Rmutchler
I do get traffic and weather with my Sirius subscription, of which I only pay $85 per year for...never paying full price for Sirius. Thanks for your venting, you are not alone!
They also have a select 5 month package for $20 which includes traffic. I've done it a couple times now. With retention, they offer you a couple of packages and if you keep saying no, you eventually end up with the 5 month for $20 offer. They've been offering it for years. They will keep telling you they can only do it once but then you tell them to go ahead and cancel and they'll give it to you again.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6719326-siri...-for-5-months?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK350 4-Matic & 2003 E320
Originally Posted by LBC240MIDBlue
Honestly I don't get it either... I will keep the base service as we like the call home feature in case of an accident.
From what I understand, if you are outside of mobile phone coverage, you won't be able to use the "roadside" feature.

If that is the case, what is the difference between calling the 800 mercedes roadside support phone number vs paying every month for a button that you "might press" in an emergency?

Last edited by GLK350AMG; 06-22-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
I like the weather service from Sirius and the app. I don't pay for it any longer, but I have thought about inquiring just about the weather service.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
In the event of a accident - one basic thing that happens is cell phones go flying - and one aspect of mBrace if Airbags deploy there is auto notification sent out - and in the case where you can't find/can't use your phone without airbags deployed - then you can choose to call Roadside on cell yourself.

I am not trying to "sell" mbrace - frankly salesmen and dealers don't get paid for the service - but what it can and cannot do seems to be the good direction of this thread.

Keep the beat !
Old 06-22-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK350 4-Matic & 2003 E320
fabbrisd1: your points are valid, however, I still wouldn't get mbrace for those reasons though because if you are close enough to mobile phone coverage, it means you are close enough to civilization, and someone would've called 911 already if your airbags were deployed.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
They also have a select 5 month package for $20 which includes traffic. I've done it a couple times now. With retention, they offer you a couple of packages and if you keep saying no, you eventually end up with the 5 month for $20 offer. They've been offering it for years. They will keep telling you they can only do it once but then you tell them to go ahead and cancel and they'll give it to you again.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6719326-siri...-for-5-months?
man best i could get was six months of select with no traffic for $25 as a special promo. i tried to add traffic but they said they dont offer anything but the 4.95 or so a month extra charge for it on sirius i bet... need to try again