GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Passenger Airbag Light, on Even with Passenger (HELP)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 BlueTec
Passenger Airbag Light, on Even with Passenger (HELP)

The passenger airbag light stays on even with a passenger in the seat. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure - if you are in the US with a GLK250 - you should be covered under warranty - right ?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure - if you are in the US with a GLK250 - you should be covered under warranty - right ?
Yes, I'm in the US, I have a GLK250, the car is under warranty, and I'll be taking it in on Tuesday of next week.

But meanwhile, is this glitch contained to the software, or does this also affect the hardware which makes it inadvisable to have a passenger in the seat (in case of airbag-deployment failure during a potential collision)?

I'm not likely to have anyone in the passenger seat until after we learn what the problem is, but I want to conclude that I definitely should not allow anyone in the seat until then.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Do you ever drive cars without airbags? I have for over 52 years. Airbags should be thought of as a device of last resort. Unless you are accident prone, I would not worry about it. Most of my high preformance cars, Jag V12 XKE, 67 Mustang modified 302, '88 Firebird GLA, 57 Tbird have never seen an airbag.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by bop11
Do you ever drive cars without airbags? I have for over 52 years. Airbags should be thought of as a device of last resort. Unless you are accident prone, I would not worry about it. Most of my high preformance cars, Jag V12 XKE, 67 Mustang modified 302, '88 Firebird GLA, 57 Tbird have never seen an airbag.
Yes, something I drive that lacks an airbag is my Ducati Monster. But, yes, your point brings back the kind of sensibility the current generation lacks.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM

2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
I would operate under the assumption that if the "airbag off" light is lit, the airbag probably won't fire. Take it into the dealer and have them fix it. Probably a failed seat sensor or something simple.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by Powerband
Yes, I'm in the US, I have a GLK250, the car is under warranty, and I'll be taking it in on Tuesday of next week.

But meanwhile, is this glitch contained to the software, or does this also affect the hardware which makes it inadvisable to have a passenger in the seat (in case of airbag-deployment failure during a potential collision)?

I'm not likely to have anyone in the passenger seat until after we learn what the problem is, but I want to conclude that I definitely should not allow anyone in the seat until then.

Thanks!

How would anyone here know if it's a "software" glitch or a hardware problem? And if someone here claimed to have the answer would you put your faith and passenger's life in that? Airbag deployment failure is not an issue "during a potential collision." Possibly during an actual accident, it could make a difference.

You do realize that airbags cannot prevent serious injury or death under all accident circumstances, yes?

If you definitely plan on having a serious accident before Tuesday then you definitely should not have someone in the passenger seat.

Perhaps you could have a passenger sit in the rear seat area but... what if your vehicle is rear-ended in a violent manner?

How far is "up?"

Last edited by MBKLUE; 07-01-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:48 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by VentoGT
I would operate under the assumption that if the "airbag off" light is lit, the airbag probably won't fire. Take it into the dealer and have them fix it. Probably a failed seat sensor or something simple.
Thanks. I'm definitely making this assumption.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
How would anyone here know if it's a "software" glitch or a hardware problem? And if someone here claimed to have the answer would you put your faith and passenger's life in that? Airbag deployment failure is not an issue "during a potential collision." Possibly during an actual accident, it could make a difference.

You do realize that airbags cannot prevent serious injury or death under all accident circumstances, yes?

If you definitely plan on having a serious accident before Tuesday then you definitely should not have someone in the passenger seat.

Perhaps you could have a passenger sit in the rear seat area but... what if your vehicle is rear-ended in a violent manner?

How far is "up?"
Perhaps you're reading too much into this and, in the process, exhibiting a tone of patronizing superiority and useless disdain.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by Powerband
Perhaps you're reading too much into this and, in the process, exhibiting a tone of patronizing superiority and useless disdain.

Not at all. I do find everything about your post ridiculous.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 PM

GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Not at all. I do find everything about your post ridiculous.
Yet you cared enough to post the longest reply in the thread without much relevance or help. Why the hostility and unfriendliness?

Last edited by Powerband; 07-01-2015 at 04:40 PM.