GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2011 GLK 350 2WD - Questions?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
2011 GLK 350 2WD - Questions?

So, I am thinking about purchasing a relative's 2011 GLK 350, 2WD. its a very low mileage car and has been impeccably maintained. If I can get it for the right price I might do it. but I have 2 reservations that I hope that can get answered here on this forum

1) Rear Wheel Drive - I live in Cleveland, OH and the winters here are a real bear. it really helps having front wheel or All wheel drive. I am concerned that a rear wheel drive car will not do well here compared to the front or All wheel drive. Can anyone comment?

2) Maintenance - currently I have a Honda minivan and the maintenance on it is very cost effective. I am afraid that getting work done on the GLK would be very cost prohibitive. Can anyone comment?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For a 3rd party benchmark on price/value - I recommend checking edmunds.com - under "Car Research" - "Trade In Value Pricing" - with what you know of the options the GLK has - - what you describe from what you know would be "Clean" condition - which gives the most impartial 3rd party value guide.

At let's say 30K miles - in my salt-free market area - market "value" you would be looking at upper-teen's/possibly $20K.

With proper winter tires for Clevland - a RWD GLK with Mercedes rear ETS - can be a lot of safe/fun in the snow - frankly my opinion "better" than a 4x4 pickup - or most Japanese "AWD" fiction machines.

Mercedes maintenance for a 2011 GLK is quite straight forward - based on age alone - it is best to plan a transmission service which in the "schedule" at 40K miles - but with a lower mileage GLK that's 4/5 yrs old - best to get done right away - that tranny service you can pirce between a dealer or qualified Mercedes "indie" shop.

Into your 1st Mercedes - a 2011 GLK from a good 1st owner - frankly at the "right price" kindof a low risk investment.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
For a 3rd party benchmark on price/value - I recommend checking edmunds.com - under "Car Research" - "Trade In Value Pricing" - with what you know of the options the GLK has - - what you describe from what you know would be "Clean" condition - which gives the most impartial 3rd party value guide.

At let's say 30K miles - in my salt-free market area - market "value" you would be looking at upper-teen's/possibly $20K.

With proper winter tires for Clevland - a RWD GLK with Mercedes rear ETS - can be a lot of safe/fun in the snow - frankly my opinion "better" than a 4x4 pickup - or most Japanese "AWD" fiction machines.

Mercedes maintenance for a 2011 GLK is quite straight forward - based on age alone - it is best to plan a transmission service which in the "schedule" at 40K miles - but with a lower mileage GLK that's 4/5 yrs old - best to get done right away - that tranny service you can pirce between a dealer or qualified Mercedes "indie" shop.

Into your 1st Mercedes - a 2011 GLK from a good 1st owner - frankly at the "right price" kindof a low risk investment.

we get ALOT of snow and the roads are dicey - plus we have rolling hills. I was worried about the end coming around and going up hills in the snow. Are u saying with proper tires that it is a non issue?

What is the cost comparitvily I guess we maintenance? I guess that would be my big question. Is an "Indie" shop even cost 3 for 4 times another make of car with comparative service?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 AM

GLK 350
Also, how do I figure out what are all the options that came with the car? Will the VIN somehow show that? if so, how do I look that up?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Many of us drove n the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's without all wheel drive. We drove big pigs and small sporty cars all over the North East. Sure all wheel drive helps, but the big improvements in tires and traction control helps keep you going and All wheel drive doesn't necessarily help you stop. Look around at all the people driving 2 wheel drive minivans and Chevy's and Fords. Safe driving and getting there is a matter of technique and should not rely on 4 wheel drive unless you drive a Land Rover Defender or a Jeep with Goodrich All terrain lugged tires. or a D-8 Cat.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM

GLK 350
I mainly see front wheel drive 2WD cars and they seem to do fine. I am talking about rear wheel 2WD drive cars/trucks. I have driven in many a pickup and if they don't have sandbags or something else heavy the rear end is all over the place and it very easy to spin out. Thus my question about this car.....
Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
My experience is with an AWD GLK. Great in the snow but as I am only running all season tires there is still a limit, especially in cornering and braking during snow/ice. My wife's minivan is FWD and was terrible with all season tires. I put on a set of snow tires last winter and the thing was transformed. I would almost say that it is better than the GLK in the snow now especially when cornering. Huge difference.

So I would say that if you can get a set of proper snow tires on it, it would make a huge difference. I'm not sure I'd drive RWD in the snow on all seasons.

As for maintenance I haven't had to do much maintenance to either car. (I change the oil in the MB myself but stopped doing the van recently.) But the costs aren't that far apart in my experience. Our Toyota dealer for the minivan actually has a higher labor rate per hour than the MB dealer. Of course parts are probably a bit more for the MB.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:53 PM

GLK 350
whats another make that is comparable? 2011 CRV? BMW X5? Just want to compare and see what else is out there
Old 07-18-2015, 04:29 PM

none
Originally Posted by blakeas
whats another make that is comparable? 2011 CRV? BMW X5? Just want to compare and see what else is out there
I guess size-wise CRV. But not comparable in content or drivability. BMW X3, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC60 would be most comparable. Acura RDX is also comparable in terms of size and probably a slight rung below in terms of content and drivability, which is not surprising since it's basically a souped up CRV.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To be frank - I would suggest you DRIVE the GLK ... I think you will be impressed - but if you want to think your way out of considering upgrading yourself to a rock solid nimble mountain goat Mercedes with snow tires for winter - safe - that's your call..

I do have respect for the "original Honda" - frankly now-a-days "new Honda" is a way different animal
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM

none
I think fabbrisd1 is right. Go and drive it. Then go drive something similar. You have to like the vehicle. Even if we like it you might not.

Haven't driven the newest CRV but the last one I drove a few years ago didn't seem that great to me. It sure didn't feel like the older Honda's I was used to from the 90s that were fun to drive.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:35 AM

GLK 350
Sorry to revive old thread - I have the option now of accepting the relatives 2011 GLK for free. However, I am worried about the performance even with snow tires in the winters her in NE Ohio. Can anyone comment on how safe it is in snow/ice?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
For free, jump at it. If you are worried, throw a sandbag in the back in the winter for traction. There are thousands of small and large pickups driving around in your area with rear wheel drive and only the ones with bad drivers have swapped ends. If you don't feel good in it, you can always trade it in for a bundle of bucks. I drove a V12 Jag E type in Connecticut back in the early '70's and a couple of big Merc's 300 SD's in the '80's and '90's commuting from Conn. to Philadelphia weekly, (250,000 miles on each) Winter and Summer and never got sideways. They were all rear wheel drive cars. So it is not the car but the driver.
Enjoy the Free Lunch.