GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2015 GLK 250 delivery and break in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a

Don't want to wait the GLC expecially no diesel version available in MY16, so decided to go for GLk250 (Still like it's looking more than GLC).
I'm new to MB and diesel, anything should I be aware of when I pick up my new car? Does diesel vehicle needs any special attention than gasoline version in the break in period?

Last edited by hiker007; 07-18-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I think the manual mentions keeping the speed and revs down for a period of 500 or so miles - have a look in the manual.

The first few times the car runs through the emissions regeneration cycle it may produce a bad smell like burning rubber. This is normal and it is worst when the car is new.

Short trips and short commutes will trigger the regen cycle more often. Diesel's like longer trips over 10-15 miles so they can warm up properly with highway speeds preffered.

The longer the trip and the steadier your speed the better milage you will get.

Find a few fuel stations that sell diesel and are busy. The more diesel they sell the fresher it is and the less chance of sediment, etc. The gasbuddy phone app can help - if prices for diesel update frequently it probably has fresher diesel.

It is not much different than driving a gas vehicle except you don't need to fill it up as often.

Last edited by formerjeepguy; 07-18-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added break in.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Porsche 997.2, 2015 GLK250, 2009 Sierra 2500HD Diesel
The break-in period is 1500km (900mi).

Just as important as keeping revs down during break-in is varying the revs as you drive. Pick routes that allow you to run up and down through the rev range, rather than sitting at a constant speed for prolonged periods.

The thing I'm struggling with is that first oil change. MB says 1 year/15,000km. There's no way I'll feel comfortable waiting 15000km on that first change. I'll likely do one oil change myself, at about 8,000km, and then let MB do their service at 15k km.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 AM

n/a
Many thanks guys!
The tips for the diesel refill is very instresting. What is the difference of the diesel in Shell and other gas stations where many trucks fill up their tank? Is there any higher grade in diesel like premium gasoline?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 AM

n/a
Originally Posted by whiskywizard
The break-in period is 1500km (900mi).

Just as important as keeping revs down during break-in is varying the revs as you drive. Pick routes that allow you to run up and down through the rev range, rather than sitting at a constant speed for prolonged periods.

The thing I'm struggling with is that first oil change. MB says 1 year/15,000km. There's no way I'll feel comfortable waiting 15000km on that first change. I'll likely do one oil change myself, at about 8,000km, and then let MB do their service at 15k km.
When I picked up new cars in the past, the dealer always said the original oil from production line is special for the break in. They didn't recommend an early oil change.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Porsche 997.2, 2015 GLK250, 2009 Sierra 2500HD Diesel
Originally Posted by hiker007
When I picked up new cars in the past, the dealer always said the original oil from production line is special for the break in. They didn't recommend an early oil change.
Yes - it's hard to know for sure. This is one area where I haven't found absolute answers.
For example, according to Blackstone Lab's tests, Honda is the only manufacturer using a break-in oil. I can't say with certainty if this is correct.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - check mbusa.com - under owner's section - download Owner's manual.

Follow breakin - and - yes - the factory uses a break-in oil additive mix - follow factory recommended service interval - 10K
Old 07-19-2015, 02:58 PM

n/a
I'm going out of the town in next weekend, 200 miles in one trip, majority high way, is it a wise idea to drive the brand new GLK out? We have another sedan but I do prefer a SUV for the long trip.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1000% OK - vary highway-speed/cruise-control every 15 minutes or so +/- 5mph
Old 07-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
Originally Posted by hiker007
Many thanks guys!
The tips for the diesel refill is very instresting. What is the difference of the diesel in Shell and other gas stations where many trucks fill up their tank? Is there any higher grade in diesel like premium gasoline?
The only thing different about your fuel is the brand and the additives they put in it. Stay with the branded fuel as it's more uniform than if you fuel at an independent who buys from multiple sources where quality may vary.

I've not seen multiple grades at the diesel pump. You just have to be sure that the bio-diesel content is within spec.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Hey hiker007 Glad to hear you went for the GLK250 over the GLC. I am sure the GLC will be a fine vehicle but with no diesel available for a while for me that is the decision maker. My wife and I purchased a pre owned 2013 GLK250 and have never regretted it. We recently took a road trip up the California coast from the Bay Area all the way to crescent city , on to Eureka, continued to Crater Lake Oregon, Portland and finally ended up in Seattle. With all of the different driving scenarios we averaged 36.9 mpg. One of the most comfortable rides you could ask for as well. I would not worry about the oil change concern. Mercedes is very conservative concerning your maintenance. Remember they specify and use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You will be fine. We found diesel prices down to $2.68 in certain areas certainly cheaper than regular gas. When driving at home just around town with little if any freeway miles we get around 27 to 29 mag. Could not be happier and will make Mercedes our go to brand and go for another diesel for sure when the time come. I will post some pictures of our road trip soon. Have fun!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 PM

n/a
Thanks scroogeactor for sharing the experience.
I'm impressive with the diesel, I'm expecting to save $1000 per year in the gas comparing with other SUV uses premium gas. Plus I like the shape of GLK than the new GLC. It could have been perfect if the rear leg room is a bit longer.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:41 AM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Very true Hiker007. Our trip was just my wife and I so backseat was down and room for stuff was not an issue. If anyone had been traveling with us it would have been tight. We are considering purchasing the Mercedes luggage box. You are right though, the leg room in back is a little tight. The current GLK is a standout for sure. We stopped in the coastal town of Trinidad and were enjoying the ocean view when a young woman walked up and asked us if our vehicle was a GLK250? She thought it was beautiful and loves the diesel. She was driving a new Audi diesel herself. Same thing in Portland as the hotel car valet brought our car to us , we were approached by a lady who wanted to know how we liked our GLK. She had just test driven one and was trying to convince her husband to buy one. All that to say you will be noticed as it is an attractive SUV that looks unique. The new GLC is too generic in my opinion.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe
When I picked up my '15 250, my dealer told me that I don't have to treat the car any differently than I usually would during the break-in period (approx 3000km), because the car is programmed to do it itself...
Old 07-24-2015, 02:54 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Break in for GLK 250

I certainly would not worry about the break in period. Cars and oils etc are not as touchy as in the old days. Mercedes as well as most all auto manufacturers know that most ordinary people know little about maintaining their vehicles. They are not going to sell you a car that is so fragil that it will fail if you do not handle it with kid gloves in my opinion. Take care and enjoy.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 PM

n/a
Took the brand new GLK for a trip last weekend,very happy with its performance and comfort and certainly the fule economy.
Not sure if I didn't adjust the seat properly, I ended up a little bit of lower back sore.
The Navi is pretty crapy as expected
One thing I notice is when I turn the key to third position(before start), I can hear the water flowing sound comes out at the back of the vehicle. It stops after 15-20 seconds. What is that?

Last edited by hiker007; 07-28-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 AM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Hi hiker007. Glad your first trip was a good one. Not sure where the water sound you are hearing is coming from. I have never heard that but I have a keyless-go ignition so I usually just push the button and start it. I will try the different aux settings and see if I can hear the water sound. Play with the seat settings and I'm sure you will find one that is comfortable for your back. Driving long periods can be tough on your back regardless of what you do. I agree somewhat on your opinion of the nav system, but in general am happy with it. I have the command system and it is no where near as intuitive to use as many newer nav programs out there. Actually the most seamless and easiest to use that I have seen is the My Ford Touch system. Basically you can just tell it what you want "addresses , temp settings, radio etc etc. the only thing is you have to buy a Ford. In our GLK once the address is loaded into the nav it has been very reliable for us. Certainly wish it was on a par with the Ford/Lincoln cars though.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM

n/a
I agree the command system is intuitive, my problem is on the map and route calculation, I went to a park, the map could not give me the road information but the Google map does. While coming back home, I drove on the road with higher speed limit also shortest path, but was asked to do an U turn and go to detoure to another route is much further, that just through me off (It's set as fast route).
One more thing I found is the car is shaking for a couple seconds if I move my feet to acceleration padel from brake too quick(but not hard, less than 2000RPM) at the stop. I'm not sure that shaking is due to tires spinning but it is annoy. if I let the wheels roll for a second or two after releasing the brake, it runs smoothly.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
Hi hiker007, The only thing you need to do differently on the diesel in every day operation as compared to a petrol engine is that you do need to look at the left instrument panel and wait for the "glow plug light" to go out prior to starting it. (page 147 of the USA manual)

To smooth out the shudder that happens when lifting off the brake and hitting the throttle is to use the "hold" function. To use the hold function. Just release a little pressure from the brake pedal and reapply pressure again. Basically a double pump after you have stopped and the GLK will hold the brakes on for you. Then when you press the throttle pedal the brakes will automatically release and it will pull away very smoothly.

Last edited by super7pilot; 08-04-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux

Originally Posted by scroogeactor
Hey hiker007 Glad to hear you went for the GLK250 over the GLC. I am sure the GLC will be a fine vehicle but with no diesel available for a while for me that is the decision maker. My wife and I purchased a pre owned 2013 GLK250 and have never regretted it. We recently took a road trip up the California coast from the Bay Area all the way to crescent city , on to Eureka, continued to Crater Lake Oregon, Portland and finally ended up in Seattle. With all of the different driving scenarios we averaged 36.9 mpg. One of the most comfortable rides you could ask for as well. I would not worry about the oil change concern. Mercedes is very conservative concerning your maintenance. Remember they specify and use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You will be fine. We found diesel prices down to $2.68 in certain areas certainly cheaper than regular gas. When driving at home just around town with little if any freeway miles we get around 27 to 29 mag. Could not be happier and will make Mercedes our go to brand and go for another diesel for sure when the time come. I will post some pictures of our road trip soon. Have fun!
That's a very nice scenic route. I'm sure the GLK was up to task. I usually go to eureka for my locum job(working while on vacation). Of course I fly out to SFO and rent a sporty car
Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by super7pilot
Hi hiker007, The only thing you need to do differently on the diesel in every day operation as compared to a petrol engine is that you do need to look at the left instrument panel and wait for the "glow plug light" to go out prior to starting it.
Aren't you also supposed to admire the slow moving fuel guage needle? I'm sure I would if I didn't have a Gasser
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Aren't you also supposed to admire the slow moving fuel guage needle? I'm sure I would if I didn't have a Gasser
I do! My best hi-way mileage so far (15,000 miles) Has been 41MPG. I will be going to Vancouver Island in 2 weeks to pick up a car trailer I'm having made for my Caterham. Link Once I have a chance to load up and tow the Caterham I will post up a tow report. And talk about a scenic route, We will head north from Walla Walla to the north cascades hi-way west to the San Juan islands then a ferry to Vancouver island. Maybe catch a Mariners game on the way home.

Last edited by super7pilot; 08-04-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM

n/a
Originally Posted by super7pilot
Hi hiker007, The only thing you need to do differently on the diesel in every day operation as compared to a petrol engine is that you do need to look at the left instrument panel and wait for the "glow plug light" to go out prior to starting it. (page 147 of the USA manual)

To smooth out the shudder that happens when lifting off the brake and hitting the throttle is to use the "hold" function. To use the hold function. Just release a little pressure from the brake pedal and reapply pressure again. Basically a double pump after you have stopped and the GLK will hold the brakes on for you. Then when you press the throttle pedal the brakes will automatically release and it will pull away very smoothly.
Thanks super7pilot. I will try it later.
And yesterday, one of friend of mine just asked if I receive the radio code from dealership in case the car loses the battery, I didn't get it when i pick up mime, is it needed? Do you guys get it?