GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New GLK350 owner and first time Mercedes owner

Old 07-26-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350

Hello everyone, i purchased a 2015 GLK350 midnight blue nearly full option for my wife back in March. Since I drive a completely different car/brand (2016 Audi A6), I haven't had many chances to drive her SUV until last week. Also it is the wife's car and I pay more attention to my own...

After going on a road trip putting 1,100 enjoyable miles in 10 days.
My positive initial thoughts about the vehicle: great handling, firm sporty yet comfortable feel, nice steering wheel thickness, great acceleration, not much wind noise until around 70 mph, comfortable front seats and finally very few blind spots. My wife used to have an Audi Q5 in Seoul and she wanted a save vehicle when we moved to the U.S. Other class vehicles were too big for her and she felt comfortable driving her GLK. The U.S. Didn't offer the same 3.0 TDi engine for the Q5, so the 2.0T engine was underpowered. Also I for one think the 4Matic on the GLK is better than the Quattro on the Q5. The Conti DWS were fantastic on heavy rains and handles well while greatly reducing road noise.

Some gripe points I have: headlights seems to be very very dim???, the narrow seating in the back (two car seats leave no room for anyone in the middle), but most importantly, we have trouble fastening the seat belts for each car seat... We have the Kiddy brand, a German car seats which fit fantastic for both Audi's we had in Seoul and my current Audi here in the states. My brother has the same seats and fit fine for his BMW 3 series. My last grip is the IPhone charger & UBS port & 12V cigarette lighter port in the front. My wife and I both have iPhone 6, we noticed the charging happened extremely slow!!!! My current car charges my phone from dead to full in about 1 hour. But we we drove for a 6 hour road trip to the beach, my wife's phone charged almost 10% only. She complained to me the charging was slow, but my goodness it is really slow. I'm all fairness, she was using her phone for internee surfing and messaging, but she could be doing the same I my car (Audi) but would have the phone charges in less than 1.5 hours.

Are these problems normal? Or should I have the car be taken in for service? Sorry for the long first post.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux

Just noticed the charging too after we drove our daughter's new Glk350 4matic to give her more seat time. Maybe a 12v USB charging should be helpful. It is very comfortable driving it for 900+ miles. Mileage is superb as well and acceleration is crisp and fast.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:18 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by sblvro
Just noticed the charging too after we drove our daughter's new Glk350 4matic to give her more seat time. Maybe a 12v USB charging should be helpful. It is very comfortable driving it for 900+ miles. Mileage is superb as well and acceleration is crisp and fast.
The 12V power with USB doesn't charge fast either...
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Congrats on your new vehicle.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
Are you using original Apple charging cable? Try to swap the cable between two cars and see.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome
Old 09-07-2015, 06:07 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by hiker007
Are you using original Apple charging cable? Try to swap the cable between two cars and see.
It is the MB 8 pin lightening cable that came with the car. Also tried the apple 8 pin lightening charging.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
using the phone for navigation ? I notice that sucks up so much juice it barley charges....
Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GLK350
I have a 2 USB port pugged into the rear ashtray lighter with a cord running to the front. Mine charges pretty fast. I havent tried the front cig lighter yet.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Inyoury
Hello everyone, i purchased a 2015 GLK350 midnight blue nearly full option for my wife back in March. Since I drive a completely different car/brand (2016 Audi A6), I haven't had many chances to drive her SUV until last week. Also it is the wife's car and I pay more attention to my own...

After going on a road trip putting 1,100 enjoyable miles in 10 days.
My positive initial thoughts about the vehicle: great handling, firm sporty yet comfortable feel, nice steering wheel thickness, great acceleration, not much wind noise until around 70 mph, comfortable front seats and finally very few blind spots. My wife used to have an Audi Q5 in Seoul and she wanted a save vehicle when we moved to the U.S. Other class vehicles were too big for her and she felt comfortable driving her GLK. The U.S. Didn't offer the same 3.0 TDi engine for the Q5, so the 2.0T engine was underpowered. Also I for one think the 4Matic on the GLK is better than the Quattro on the Q5. The Conti DWS were fantastic on heavy rains and handles well while greatly reducing road noise.

Some gripe points I have: headlights seems to be very very dim???, the narrow seating in the back (two car seats leave no room for anyone in the middle), but most importantly, we have trouble fastening the seat belts for each car seat... We have the Kiddy brand, a German car seats which fit fantastic for both Audi's we had in Seoul and my current Audi here in the states. My brother has the same seats and fit fine for his BMW 3 series. My last grip is the IPhone charger & UBS port & 12V cigarette lighter port in the front. My wife and I both have iPhone 6, we noticed the charging happened extremely slow!!!! My current car charges my phone from dead to full in about 1 hour. But we we drove for a 6 hour road trip to the beach, my wife's phone charged almost 10% only. She complained to me the charging was slow, but my goodness it is really slow. I'm all fairness, she was using her phone for internee surfing and messaging, but she could be doing the same I my car (Audi) but would have the phone charges in less than 1.5 hours.

Are these problems normal? Or should I have the car be taken in for service? Sorry for the long first post.
All these issues have been covered in the forum before. Search is your friend. There is an entire thread on slow charging and some suggested solutions.