GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What's with this light staying on?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
What's with this light staying on?

So this has been going off and on for some time now...the head light parking/courtesy light stays on or starts blinking out of no where...it's been doing that for quite some time now...the lights inside are off and all the bulbs are fine...nothing is wrong.
Is this a short? Or some kind of code for something that soon needs replacing or what? The rear light does the same thing at the same time as well as you can see by the pictures.
Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by erlomd; 08-02-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
what is the position of the rotary headlight switch when this happens?

Originally Posted by erlomd
So this has been going off and on for some time now...the head light parking/courtesy light stays on or starts blinking out of no where...it's been doing that for quite some time now...the lights inside are off and all the bulbs are fine...nothing is wrong.
Is this a short? Or some kind of code for something that soon needs replacing or what? The rear light does the same thing at the same time as well as you can see by the pictures.
Any ideas anyone?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC

Originally Posted by MBKLUE
what is the position of the rotary headlight switch when this happens?
It's in the "0" or "off" position
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM

yes
I'm wondering if there's a defect in your headlamp switch since one more counter-clockwise "click" from the "0" position would turn on the right-hand standing lamps.

Do you also have to move the turn signal lever from the center off position to get standing lamps to turn on?

It's in the "0" or "off" position
Old 08-03-2015, 01:01 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I'm wondering if there's a defect in your headlamp switch since one more counter-clockwise "click" from the "0" position would turn on the right-hand standing lamps.

Do you also have to move the turn signal lever from the center off position to get standing lamps to turn on?
yes i do...I actually had to turn on the car and then turn on the lights...then turn off the lights, and finally turn off the car for it to go away.

It may be a short or faulty head lamp switch as you say...ill look into that...Thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 PM

yes
yes i do...I actually had to turn on the car and then turn on the lights...then turn off the lights, and finally turn off the car for it to go away.

It may be a short or faulty head lamp switch as you say...ill look into that...Thanks!
was just wondering... (and please don't be offended) are you familiar with the operation of the "standing lights?" Not sure of your location but I think they are/were more common in Europe... maybe not so much in the U.S., if that's where you are.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:39 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Yes I know how they work, but I'm in the US. never used it...but like I said before, it does not just stay on like if the switch was purposely turned in that direction. It flashes irregularly and the flashed do not follow any type of rhythmic pattern that can be taken as code in some secret MB manual...lol
see if this link to a video I took of it works, it will show how randomly it turns off and on...BTW in the video, the drivers light also looks like it was turned on, but its actually just a reflection. the only problem is with the passenger side.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:57 PM

yes
Thought it was just the parking lamp front and rear on one side but as you say/show it's also the headlamp. Hmmm.... headlamp switch or circuit that turns on headlamps automatically - malfunctioning even though it's not switched to automatic?? Wouldn't explain why it just happens on one side other than the fact the two sides must be separately fused by law. Does it "time-out" (turn off) after half a minute or something like that? Thinking about the circuit that can keep the lights on while you walk to your house door at night.

Yes I know how they work, but I'm in the US. never used it...but like I said before, it does not just stay on like if the switch was purposely turned in that direction. It flashes irregularly and the flashed do not follow any type of rhythmic pattern that can be taken as code in some secret MB manual...lol
see if this link to a video I took of it works, it will show how randomly it turns off and on...BTW in the video, the drivers light also looks like it was turned on, but its actually just a reflection. the only problem is with the passenger side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgUmihNdKMU
Old 08-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
I also think its the light switch. Had the same problem with my W204. Always kept the light at '0' when there is sufficient light and the eyelids will intermittently not turn off. After getting it replaced I now keep the switch on 'A'.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:24 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Thanks guys...I'll let the dealer know what's up. Sometimes it turns off after a while but the other day it kept doing it for over an hour
Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Well, Finally took care of the issue at the dealer the other day...and indeed, it was the light switch. they replaced it and everything works great! thanks everyone for your insights...I actually sent the dealer a link to this thread and they fixed the issue right away free of charge.
The following users liked this post:
georgia10 (09-15-2016)